Author Topic: How many here are "long-timers".  (Read 22472 times)

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
How many here are "long-timers".
« Reply #255 on: December 28, 2007, 08:44:56 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
<-----noob

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Rapier Checking In
« Reply #256 on: December 28, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
Originally posted by TheRapier
Hi All!

Great to be here and nice to see all the old timers still about :).

Thanks!
--)-Rapier---

Hiya Rap....

Glad to see you made it. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #257 on: December 28, 2007, 06:14:38 PM »
Started in AH 2001 Tour 18, never played AW. Stopped around 2004 for a long break due to work and moving. Returned again just a couple months ago.

...-Gixer

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #258 on: December 28, 2007, 06:18:48 PM »
Air Warrior 1996, been a Cutthroat for 11 years next month. Cutts are nearly 12 years old. Was Closed Beta Tester for Air Warrior III-only claim to fame.

Almost been here before the boards! :O Actually flew the Open Beta in August-I recall-of 1999. We had 4 or 5 planes, 1 map, and 100 players could log in. (if memory serves me correctly) Since then, there were clouds, rain, lightning, night.... :)  and a number of things I can't recall. Not 100% sure about the rain either.

HiTech was showing it to Bob Shaw at the Air Warrior CON in 1999. Mr Shaw flew the P-51 and was impressed with the instruments and general play.  I was standing over his shoulder watching him, in amazement that I was seeing this new sim and Mr Shaw up close and personal.

Within 2 weeks (that I knew of it) Dale (HT) had it online, the total download was about 10MB. Playability was smooothe!  It took me 2 weeks to learn the flight model and even be able to takeoff and land with relative success.

We went for several months in the open beta for free! No Charge.  The first growing pains were evident and we were happy-even pleased that it cost $30 a month to fly this new sim. It kept many undesirable folks out-who didn't have the $$ to play and it was light years away from EA and Air Warrior or for that matter, War Birds.

I have been a Rook the entire time too. (except for Scenarios or SEA events)

I'd love to see the night addressed again, as in, another arena-like Late War Night or whatever, where we got 3 hours day, 1 hour night. Since the shift to multiple arenas, I think it's doable and might be worthy of another look. We sure had people talking it up on Christmas Eve! :)

Thank you HiTech and team for making the last 8 years enjoyable.  May the New Year bring many more to come.

K-KEN
http://www.cutthroats.com  
High Flight | Tequila Benefits
http://www.look-at-ewe.com

P.S. ..and can I get my posts count issue addressed? :) Always resets back to 199 or 200 or some such...I must be corrupt or something!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:00:31 PM by K-KEN »

Offline b-man

• Zinc Member
« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2007, 06:22:10 PM »
Heyas Rap!, the Musketeer horde is back hehe, er on the boards anyway :)

-)-B---

Offline Otter

• Copper Member
« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »
Originally posted by Grayeagle
So .. umm ..Biggles:

Are ya good at flight sims?

Useda ask that of new players so they'd get their 'list' off their chest,
..all about how they killed drones over and over..

..then I'd 'Welcome' them to Air Warrior.. this aint no 'flight sim'

-evil grin-

I remember Rino as that F-4 Radar guy :)
I was an F-4 ECM guy for a lotta years
..we mixed like oil an water sorta :)

-GE aka Frank
(Active Jamming: 1ea Mk82 on the 'Dish')

Gebbus! It's Nurse Jane Fuzzy Wuzzy!

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2007, 08:04:58 PM »
Was an AW noob-started in 95. Alpha tested,beta tested this one. Come around every once in awhile-especially if I hear about these threads. I hope to get the "urge" back one of these days and dust off the SW Precision Pro and take my usual virtual thrashings.

Wow, lots of handles I had forgotten about in this thread.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »
From my billing history, 2001, but i think i was here under a similar name earlier than that.

The funny thing is, i was just in late war blue, and got accused of spying and being a newb (as it was my first sortie this tour), i still fly like a newb, so that didn't upset me, but being accused of spying really pi$$ed me off!!

Ah well, you can find ignoramuses everywhere i guess.

Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #263 on: December 29, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »
Originally posted by SHawk
Started in Air Warrior 3 in 98 played slightly over 3 years there until EA (Electronic Aholes) killed it in Nov of 2001. Then took about 3 months before the DT's got the better of me and I showed up here in late Feb 02 (tour 25) as SHawk6 in those days.:aok

Don't lie to us SHawk ~ we all know you're a total noob! :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline AKoLButt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #264 on: December 29, 2007, 01:10:28 PM »
I've been geeking sims for about 10 years. Been an AK for about 9 when I joined them in Flying Circus WWI sim. A school project built by an AK I believe.

Been in AH a long time taking a break for a few years when a number of AK's started geeking on another game, yes the silly game called WOW. A very large group play there now, another 50+ members.

Note: Too anyone that remembers AKCurly, he says hello and he can't believe I've been geeking in a P51B :P

Still have my AH beta CD that they mailed out way back in the beginning :) Note: You could shoot the sheep back then! Boy sheep have come a long way. Bloody tank killers now :)

Leadbutt

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #265 on: December 29, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
From the Blue Knights ... let me tell you who are old timers that DON'T fly anymore ...

I play...some...

Since AH hasn't been out that long you can't be an oldtimer if you were not on the beta.

Other than AH, I'd say if you started online after about 1995 you cannot be a real oldtimer, there's a period until about 1998 when you get to claim some of that though. I started online with this stuff when WB 1.0 came out, think that was late 95 or early 96, of course there had been an oline community in AW for some time back then.  I tried an early AW and did not like it much.

Offline my first sim was F15 Strike Eagle on a 5.25 "diskette", think that was 1987 or so. First one I put tons of time into was Battlehawks-1942.

Offline Neshr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2007, 07:14:55 PM »
October, 1988  GEnie - I was lucky to have come in the last campaign or two of the Tunnel of Death  terrain (no water); I remember blood piggin' (NB?)

Break 1990-1997, returned to AW in AOL in '97, rescued by the Damned (praised be their Name) , then Gamestorm. through Death of AW in 12/07/2001.

AH through several breaks, currently on dry spell while modelling for FS-X

Damned Felix/FJR Neshr ...

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #267 on: December 29, 2007, 07:29:35 PM »
I started in the AOHell days, but didn't really play much until Gamestorm.  I quit a bit before AW was shut down, and switched over to here then.

Offline, I started with SWoTL.  ;)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
"...lots of handles I had forgotten about..."  - Xanax

Just blame it on the medication ;)

-Me

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #269 on: December 29, 2007, 10:08:21 PM »
I played AW when it was $3.00 an hour, and I joined AH1 back in tour 40, and have flown since then under several aliases.