Author Topic: another campus shooting this week?  (Read 4613 times)

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
another campus shooting this week?
« on: February 14, 2008, 05:02:04 PM »
Today:   Northern Illinois

Last Week:  Louisiana

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »
Yeah I'm watching it now, I'm here in Chicago, my step sister just transfered out of NIU this semester, thank god for that, but her moms on the phone with her right now, there trying to find out if any of her friends were hurt.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=5778011&version=27&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »
i don't understand, the campus is a GUN FREE ZONE, didn't the killer know that?  :rolleyes:

for the slow people, that was sarcasm.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »
Atleast the guy who did it is dead, there saying he was using a shotgun, thats how he hurt so many people with just a few shots.

I'm just so glad my step sister transfered out of there in January.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »
I just don't understand whats going on in these peoples heads that do this, why take out your anger on innocent students trying to get an education, most likely people who never did anything to you, I mean at the high school and elementary level you can kinda understand it, kids at those ages can be bullied and picked on by other kids, but that really doesn't happen as much on the college level, I just don't understand it.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
In the previous shooting this week the woman, I hear, had been previously raped by the two who she shot among herself. Hardly innocent victims in that case.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »
Well thats completely different, this guy walked into a class and opened up on them with a shotgun, so far 2 are dead and 17 injured.  Back in December when my step sister was having finals, on a Saturday a note was found in a bathroom on campus threating to shoot people, they canceled finals for that Monday, so I wonder if it was this guy who wrote it.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
Originally posted by trax1
I just don't understand whats going on in these peoples heads that do this, why take out your anger on innocent students trying to get an education, most likely people who never did anything to you, I mean at the high school and elementary level you can kinda understand it, kids at those ages can be bullied and picked on by other kids, but that really doesn't happen as much on the college level, I just don't understand it.

Same sort of nutcases in both cases.  Gimp today, gimp always.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »
Im going to have to go with the lazs(tm) approach here.

Why was there no one else armed at that school?

double triple check whoever, i dont even care if it is the janitor, give them daily psych exams to make sure they are still sane and can safely carry a sidearm.

someone needed to take that guy down before the cops took 15 minutes to get there.

i cant imagine how long it takes to walk into school with a shotgun and kill 3 kids and injure 17 others. but even with a browning A5 that is 1 reload. but i kinda hope that some would have been quicker (people that are angry or insane or on drugs/alcohol cant shoot for ****) to at least save 2 kids
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:49:56 PM by loser »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »

They do it for the infamy. A product of our celebrity culture. Within hours they are on every cable news channel and Web sites around the world, including this one.  Before the mass media age they just ate the barrel alone in their bedroom.

Charon

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »
My mom is an NIU alum, class of 1947. I think it was called Northern Illinois Teachers College back then.

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »
Makes me want to pack heat when I teach.

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 06:17:39 PM »
My school allows guns on campus. They can't bring them into buildings, other than the Public Safety office, but students have them in their trucks at times, because they hunt in between classes. Even with all those guns around, not one person has ever been shot, shot at or injured by anyone with a gun (except that one handsomehunk who shot himself in the foot to see if it would hurt).

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 06:27:01 PM »
I don't think having people with guns on campus would do much, like this guy today it was all over in minutes, the police were there within 2 minutes of the first call and he still injured over 17 people and killed atleast 3 so far.  The guy at Virgina Tech chained all the doors so even if someone had a gun they couldn't get in right away.  Other then having an armed guard in each room I don't think it would have that big of an impact.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
Seventeen wounded, three critical, no innocent deaths yet thank God.

Schools with gun free zones should at least have armed security (or staff) with quick reaction capabilities.  Guns really aren't the problem.  Yes, it would be nice if we lived in a heaven like utopia, but as long as people are vulnerable  to violent mental illness we should at least provide capable security for the rest of society to give us protection from these roaming nutbags.

Our entire society suffers.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns