Author Topic: another campus shooting this week?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
another campus shooting this week?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 08:02:39 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Even supposing that was an actual problem, it isn't enough to offset the 2nd amendment.  Find a good substitute for it and you may have a good enough reason to disarm the public.
Thats not what I meant, re-read his post then mine.  I don't see anywhere that I said we need to take away peoples rights to bear arms, I just dont think armed students in class rooms is a good idea.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:06:41 PM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »
Originally posted by trax1
Only problem with that is almost always its that person that kills themselves at the end, actually I can't think of one school shooter thats was killed by someone other then themselves.

...  Your reasoning proves OUR point.  The shooter was NOT killed by anyone other than himself because there was NO one else to kill him.

The shooter's take their own lives after they've leisurely killed / shot as many people as they want.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »
I think having armed students in class is just a bad idea, thats just asking for trouble IMHO.

I bet the entire grade curve would go up though :)

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
...  Your reasoning proves OUR point.  The shooter was NOT killed by anyone other than himself because there was NO one else to kill him.

The shooter's take their own lives after they've leisurely killed / shot as many people as they want.
Thats your opinion, I just think that having students armed to stop a person on that very rare occasion that it would actually be needed doesn't justify arming students, you cant say that people with CCW have never accidentally killed or wounded someone, or even did it on purpose, now I think theres more a chance of something going wrong with the gun in a classroom, then actually needing on the very rare occasion you would need to kill someone in a class.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »
It's not arming students but students (civilians) arming themselves.  Psychos usualy aren't (as far as the media reports anyway) put down by said students/bystanders because those same joe publics aren't allowed to be armed as per your sort of supposition that joe public shouldn't be armed.

Psychos will be armed either way.  So we're back to square one.  The only way for psychos not to be armed is to remove guns entirely.  This conflicts with the 2nd amendment as well as the common sense of a single object equalizer as Lazs has described a number of times.

So the only answer to that is to either let students/bystanders be armed, or removing the 2nd amendment, which could only happen if it had a substitute.
Or having security checkpoints..
Or removing the 2nd without anything to substitute for it, and you end up with the same situation as pretty much anywhere else in the world.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:27:17 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 08:22:43 PM »
Teachers should be aloud to carry guns in their class.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
You know what, theres no point in arguing about it, the laws aren't gonna change, atleast for the foreseeable future, and 5 students are dead and that is extremely sad and tragic thing, so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »
Or people could just give up and let someone else decide what's good for them.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
It appears that the killer was upset that he did not receive any Valentine Cards today.

SIG 220

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »
5 dead. That's just hilarious.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 12:41:22 AM »
Quite obviously, we need to increase security around our colleges.

Maybe we can expand the scope of the TSA.

Put a big fence around the place. Xray all incoming packages. The students could go through metal detectors and explosive sniffing devices.

Maybe even "random" searches of students that look troubled or maybe wear too much black clothing.

That'll fix it.
sand

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2008, 01:49:20 AM »
I think the only true fix for something like this is to make it illegal to mention the killers name in the press.  But that would be a First Amendment issue.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Quite obviously, we need to increase security around our colleges.

Maybe we can expand the scope of the TSA.

Put a big fence around the place. Xray all incoming packages. The students could go through metal detectors and explosive sniffing devices.

Maybe even "random" searches of students that look troubled or maybe wear too much black clothing.

That'll fix it.

Add a microchip with gps on a wristband for the students. It could also have a mic that can pick up and transmit what the student sais if he uses some key phrases. :aok

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 02:14:16 AM »
Only info out so far on the shooter is that he is a former student at the university.

So it is just another one of those cases of a bitter ex-student who had problems and failed in school getting revenge back on the school ( which he no doubt probably blamed for all of his problems ).

SIG 220

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 02:41:27 AM »
Thats your opinion, I just think that having students armed to stop a person on that very rare occasion that it would actually be needed doesn't justify arming students, you cant say that people with CCW have never accidentally killed or wounded someone, or even did it on purpose, now I think theres more a chance of something going wrong with the gun in a classroom, then actually needing on the very rare occasion you would need to kill someone in a class.

It's not that we need a teacher or student in every classroom with a weapon. The thing with CCW is that the possibility of an armed citizen being present deters crime. When you make a gun free zone you tell all potential mass killers the best place to go to kill a bunch of people before killing themselves.

Look up some facts on CCW permit holders. They are in fact very unlikely to commit crimes. There have been a couple of incidents where CCW permit holders have broken the law, but not by killing or shooting someone that they shouldn't have.

Iirc the very first CCW holder in Florida to use his weapon in self defense was a cab driver that shot his passenger when the passenger pulled a gun and tried to rob him. The passenger had been out of jail for less than 2 days iirc. So yes, CCW holders have used their weapons and actually shot and killed people.

Statistics show that CCW is a very positive thing.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.