Author Topic: So the P-51 should have a converg of  (Read 1475 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
So the P-51 should have a converg of
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:28:19 AM »
So the P-51 should have a converg of 350 so Steve says. I know AKDg is also one of the better 51 pilots but I think his is a little farther out. I myself for some reason have a tough time hitting anything with the 50's in it unlike the F4's or F6... I wonder why that is?

The F4 has it's guns a little lower on the wings, the F6 and 51 should be about the same but shoot much different. They all have 50's, why so different?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: So the P-51 should have a converg of
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:53:31 AM »
The only plane with .50s that I have trouble with is the B and only because it has just four guns. I use the same convergence on all of them because I have the same shooting habits in all planes I fly... which is mostly the D.  :D

I like the F6F though. I can fly it land six kills and still have more ammo then the pony carries.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:00:10 AM »
I usually go for 325 - i like to be close in when i fire.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »
My convergence on my B Pony is 400 for the outboard and 375 for the inboard.  Works wonders for me. :aok
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:50:06 AM »
400 here.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:58:23 AM »
I randomly converg all my guns on all my plane between 450-400. The 262 I have them to 375 though because I wait till I can real close to fire.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:37:36 AM »
So the P-51 should have a converg of 350 so Steve says. I know AKDg is also one of the better 51 pilots but I think his is a little farther out. I myself for some reason have a tough time hitting anything with the 50's in it unlike the F4's or F6... I wonder why that is?

The F4 has it's guns a little lower on the wings, the F6 and 51 should be about the same but shoot much different. They all have 50's, why so different?

I think it because of the speed. Generally your running faster in a "D" so the lead you take on your target will be different. The fastwer your going to less you need to lead.... not by much, but it might be what makes it seem like your not hitting as well.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:52:02 AM »
Man, I used to keep mine at 200 :O

But at some point, my 'perfect' gunnery went down the drain. So I just went and put it out at 400. 400 works great, if the plane is 400 away, and you arent sure about the shot, just put the gunsight right on it, and you'll hit true to your aim.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »
I set the Dpony guns at 425 and the Bpony at 325. My squad co sets his at 250. And he does way better then me. I can get 4 or 5 kills before I run out of ammo, where as SkatSr can manage 8 or 10 kills in a sortie. :cry
Lighten up Francis

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:36:30 AM »
I keep mine at 300.  More lead at a closer convergence adds to the devastating firepower of the .50 cals. 

Besides, I love the sound of Spit 16 debris hitting my canopy.  :D
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 07:38:05 AM »
450 on all 50's 650 on all cannons.

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 08:15:28 AM »
425 Inner, 400 Middle, and 375 on the outer guns. Works Perfect for me A8Tool.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 08:41:01 AM »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:02 AM »
There are actually two types of .50s found on U.S. fighters.  One is for a normal installation and one is for a synchronized installation.  The P-40B uses a synchronized installation which has a lower rate of fire than the normal version.  They are still the same in a bullet per bullet comparison.

As for them using different characteristics, that's not how the system works.  Lethality, rate of fire, muzzle velocity, armor penetration, etc, is not set on a plane by plane basis.  There's a weapon file that is set up with all that information.  None of that info is defined in any of the plane files, it just says go use this weapon for this hardpoint.  These planes(with the exception of the P-40B) are all set to the same weapon. 

Now this is not to say that your perception is wrong.  It's just that what you attribute as the cause of your perception may be what's wrong.  For example, compare the FM2 versus the P-51B.  They have identical guns(I did verify all of these).  Yet you note that one is much more effective than the other.  What other differences are involved that may account for the disparity?  Is it really that you are using different weapons or is it that you are using the same weapons in a different way or against different things?

The only difference between .50s is between ground vehicles and aircraft.  Aircraft .50s use a 36" barrel versus a 45" barrel on ground vehicles.  That equates to something like an extra 100 fps M.V. for the GV .50s.

That said, the F4U does hit harder on average(not at peak) due to the differences in their ammo loads.  If you fire all of your guns together, both planes will have 30 seconds of fire.  After about 20 seconds the P-51 will run out of ammo on 4 of its guns and be left with only 2 for the remaining 10 seconds.  After about 28 seconds the F4U will run out of ammo for 2 of its guns and be left with 4 guns for the remaining 2 seconds.  Over the course of 30 seconds, the F4U will deliver 25% more firepower.

The FM2 has the same number of rounds in all 4 of its guns so lethality remains constant through the entire ammo load when you fire all guns.

Aircraft .50s have a fire rate of 800 rpm.  FM2's duration of fire in minutes would be 430/800 = .5375 minutes or 32.25 seconds.

BTW, another difference between the .50s in the aircraft and GVs is rate of fire.  The aircraft .50s have a higher rate of fire.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
nice find Slappy
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.