Author Topic: Your thoughts  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Your thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
More likely you just don't like getting shot down.

Preemptively refuted in my first post in this thread.

Remember that when the F4U-1C was unperked, there were not as many aircraft in the game to choose from.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »

P-51D   8.46%
Spit XVI   7.44%
N1K2   7.11%
F6F-5   4.99%
SeaFire   4.53%
F4U-1D   4.42%
La-7   3.79%
A6M5b   3.46%
Typh IB   3.44%
P-38L   3.12%

So clearly, the "unbalancing" Spixteen is nothing of the sort.  If you are going to claim it needs a perk, then you must perk the Pony as well, and might as well perk the N1K while you are at it.

You conveniently ignore the fact that the popularity of the P-51D has everything to do with reputation and very damn little to do with how it actually stacks up to the other LW rides in attributes. Usage means crap, should mean crap, how it stacks up to other LW rides is the thing.

Forget it.  The only problem anyone has with the spixteen has nothing to do with "unbalancing" the arena.  More likely you just don't like getting shot down.

So you are basically saying here that any given day, average pilots vs. average pilots in the MA, a Spit16 is dramatically more likely to shoot someone down because of the attributes the plane itself possesses...but anyone who even entertains the notion that the thing should be perked is a whining idiot?

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
Spit VIII is better.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
Both planes can maintain almost the same turn radius, the SpitVIII feels a little more stable. Has more range of course. But I'll say the roll-rate of the Spit16, especially at high speeds, is an advantage that in practical terms trumps any slight advantage the SpitVIII has in stability.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »
One thing to remember is many of the versatile Jabos make many kills of GVs with ords. One thing that isn't done in the Spit-16.

I wonder what the real "air to air per sortie" stats would indicate? No doubt the high kill stats on the Niki and Spit-16 would look even more lopsided if strictly air to air kills were sorted out.

The Spit-16 is the most capable ATA fighter thats non-perked in my opinion. I find it very unbalancing at times...personaly.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 07:37:53 PM »
If HTC had called the Spit XVI the Spit LFIXe, would anyone complain about it?

That' all it is, a 1944-45 Spit IX with a clipped E wing and an American built Packard Merlin 266 instead of a British built Rolls Merlin 66

Same everything.  Only the engine manufacturer is different.  Switch out the engines and the IX becomes an XVI and XVI and IX.  They are the same bird.

When I see a 16, I can't wait to fight it.  Chances are they will stick around to play.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »
Fixed.  :aok

When I see a 16, I can't wait to fight it.  Chances are they will be a new pilot who will badly under-estimate my P-38G and die.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »
wondering what others thought of it,  :salute

Not much along with any other top tier or perk ride. Though extremely satisfying to kill them when your in something significantly less in every regards.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »
as much as i see people in favor of a small perk, or even just hate the spit 16 for what ever reason, i also see that many are in favor of it the way it is. however, the people i see likeing it the way it is, are the people who i kill, or kill me in it just about every time we meet; in contrast, the people that oppose it rarely, if ever, fly it, and clearly find it slightly unbalancing in some regards. As Anaxogoras pointed out to Eagle, the spit 16 leaves the F4U, 190D9, and jug in the dust in a CO-e CO-alt engagement. give the F4u, 190, or jug significant alt and E over a spit 16 and they may rope it. i have many times roped spit 16's in my F4U, however its only when i get a dive on them, never when i meet them co-e co-alt. That said, as someone else has said, unperk the 14 and perk the 16 a slight amount. Also, as someone else said, you unperk the Tempest and you will see it in the skies and being used as a dweeb ride just as much as the Spit 16.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »
So perking it becomes the solution for not having to face it?

If that's the case, then unperk them all.  If some guy wants Tempest dweeb it all night long, who am I to care.  Let em have 262s.  They'll get bored quick enough.

Look at the wishlist.  It's generally filled with requests for the latest latewar uber bird. 

Perk the 16 and it's everyone back in La7s.

Perk the La7 and then it's N1Ks.  It will go on and on, until you perk everyone into P40Bs.

Most folks want every advantage they can get.

If they want a 16, let em have it.  As long as they are having fun, so be it.  And if they are that wrapped up in having the latest and greatest so they can claim to be the greatest cartoon pilot in the land, who am I to get in the way.  They'll figure it out someday :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
So perking it becomes the solution for not having to face it?

Perk the 16

Perk the La7

Will do boss!

and then it's N1Ks.  It will go on and on, until you perk everyone into P40Bs.

Heh, now here we go...with the N1K, you are starting to get into a ride that turns better than most and hits harder than most. But it is also slower than most LW birds, can't take a very high speed dive, doesn't roll well, and is a fairly ordinary climber except very low. If X late-war bird can't match it in one area, it quite probably best it another. That is my idea of "balance" in the plane-set.

It is not about popularity or what people like to fly. By that false standard the P-51D is the very best non-perk bird and the Ki-84 is among the worst.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
So no one likes my idea of of perking ALL planes even GOON :(

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »
So no one likes my idea of of perking ALL planes even GOON :(

I have actually toyed with a similar idea, sort of a way to model attrition.

Give most planes a small perk price, 5 for like an La/Spit, 3 for  Pony/K4/Dora/F4U/P-47N, 1 for a P-47D-40 or 109G14. These are just examples, the specific numbers would be up for debate. Of course I would give new players 1,000 perks to start with and every player would get a stipend of say 100-300 perks at the start of every tour.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:27:09 PM by BnZ »

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 10:45:33 PM »
Don't worry guys, Pyro is right in line with the "perk everything" mentality.

Pyro on perked ord...

It just means that in addition to charging perk points for perk planes, we can also charge perk points for ordnance.  How it will work is you will have to use your perk points to equip your plane.  Every rocket, bomb, and round of ammunition will cost perk points.  The more powerful something is, the more it will cost.  .50 caliber rounds will be a lot cheaper than 20mm rounds, but you do carry a lot more of them.  The cool thing is that if you score a hit with a round, you will not be charged for that round. So if you get really close and hit with all of your rounds, it won't cost you any extra perk points.  .30 caliber rounds will always be free so even if you run out of perk points, you can still fly a Spit I or Hurricane I.  Note that if you get shot down you will be charged for all the ordnance that was on the plane.  Another cool thing about this is that if you like the heavy weaponry but aren't such a good shot, you will now be able to buy additional perk points with your credit card so you can always get that extra boost if you really want it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:47:15 PM by mensa180 »
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »
Don't worry guys, Pyro is right in line with the "perk everything" mentality.

Pyro on perked ord...

So that was 2 years ago, almost as bad as CT.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!