Author Topic: A8Balls/Aces & 8's  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Re: A8Balls/Aces & 8's
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »
Nevermind, I'll just do this instead.

:rofl

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »
How could anybody possibly know if that quote is true or not?

How could anybody know if you are the only squad to do this?  (and "this" is somewhat vague)

Also, how can one single squad claim credit for a map reset?  What is the qualifier?

It was an A8 who's troops ran into the map room?  (see WM example @ the bottom of thread)

It was ONLY A8 squad members at the final field for those three resets?  (no other rook was with the A8's helping with that last field)

Which capture is the most important in a reset?  The first or the last?

What about the squad that captured 20+ bases on the way to the reset?  Is the squad that took that final base somehow more responsible for the reset vs. the sqaud that took far more bases, just not that final one?

How can you claim a reset in the first place.  A map reset is much more than just that final base imho.  The ONLY way you could "claim a reset" for a country would be if your squad were the only people participating in the reset or did the vast majority of the work in getting that reset.  i.e. you took all the bases w/o any help what so ever from any other Rook.  Considering that most resets take days to happen, that would be a very difficult/unreasonable claim to make.

I remember one base capture where the WidowMakers did basically everything.  We killed town/vh/nme gv's/ack, capped it etc.  Another player rolled an m3 and got troop to the maproom.  The only thing they did was run troops, the WM's did everything else.

Who's capture was it?

:huh

I would say that this thread has been beaten to death and the original topic at hand has been declared resolved.

Consider this WMlute... after 2, 3 or 4 consecutive bases are taken by a squad without outside help (ie; a non-squad participant), no other base designation other than those 2, 3 or 4 bases are displayed in the text buffer and then  POOF... "the Rooks have won the war" text comes about. Thats how you determine if those bases won the war. This means...at that time, only A8's troops went into the map room, only the A8's were at the field at the time of capture. It then so appears that the A8's can lay claim to the reset as per the original statement by A8Balls.
Now, if you would have read my response to the original topic by Dadsguns, you would have an explanation of what the original statement was refering to.
As to "How can one single squad claim credit for a map reset?". We don't and didn't as far as the AH community is concerned. Everyone who plays AH knows that no single squad can reset a map by itself (unless of course there are no other squads in that arena..like thats ever going to happen).
The claim that we, the Aces & 8's, are credited for 3 consecutive resets is for our own benefit. That claim is on our squad web site, not here on the HTC Forums. Reason being, we cannot prove it.
It doesn't matter if we can prove it or not. To you and anyone else that is not an A8, it doesn't matter. We did it, we know we did it and as long as we, as a squad, know we did and can do it, thats all that matters.
The whole point of this thread has been thrown around twisted 3 ways to Sunday. All Dadsguns asked for was a clarification of a statement that he read while visiting our site. Thats all.

I think this thread should be locked and the topic concidered resolved, squashed, done.

:salute
A8Chewey
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
:huh

Consider this WMlute... after 2, 3 or 4 consecutive bases are taken by a squad without outside help (ie; a non-squad participant), no other base designation other than those 2, 3 or 4 bases are displayed in the text buffer and then  POOF... "the Rooks have won the war" text comes about. Thats how you determine if those bases won the war. This means...at that time, only A8's troops went into the map room, only the A8's were at the field at the time of capture. It then so appears that the A8's can lay claim to the reset as per the original statement by A8Balls.

In all seriousness, why does anyone care what feats a squad lays claim to on their website..... really.......why care?  Nothing wrong with a little esprit de corps for the sake of recruitment and morale. Embelleshment or not... what harm is done?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »
You guys have a nice web site by the way.  :aok

I was reading your history on your main page and copied this quote:

"Within 2 months, the Aces & 8s had recorded a total of 3 consecutive map resets for the Rooks. A feat that has yet to be equaled by any other squad. Our final history has yet to be written."

Just curious, but I have to ask a question about this statement above.

How has it been determined that its a "feat that has yet to be equaled by any other squad"?

I know there has been several resets conducted back to back by not only Bish squads, but Knits also and most certainly more than 3 consecutive in a two month period by the same squad.

I am just curious to how you interpreted this statement.

They aparently were NOT flying durring the days of the MAW or the Mafia or the Bops..... OR well yeah.

Them were the olden days.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline skullman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »
nothing wrong with squad pride-been a pig since my 2 weeks an dont consider going anywhere else-I enjoy tangling with the a8's-always had some good fights with you guys :salute
been there destroyed that

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »
I hate myself for reading even half a page of this thread.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
They aparently were NOT flying durring the days of the MAW or the Mafia or the Bops..... OR well yeah.

Them were the olden days.

That's why I had to giggle when I read this ... A feat that has yet to be equaled by any other squad.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
It's on a squad website let it go!
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
For those of you that are so worried about what phrase or catchline is on the A-8 website from god knows when (I'm an a8 and never even realized it was there) shouldn't you be more worried about something more creative?

Here, I'll give you a list that should suit your particular M.O. better:

1 Go back to worrying about how you should move out of your mom's basement.
2 Go back to arguing which Captain of Star Trek is better.
3 Fantasize that chicks will really dig you when you show up to the Star Wars Convention dressed as Boba Fett
4 Keep thinking that if you are some kind of Military Genius, when in reality you got couldn't hack it in the Cub Scouts.
5 Wonder why you look like Orca after eating the 8,000th Hot Pocket and drinking the 1,000th Gallon of Mountain Dew you consumed during the day.
6. Worry about where to dispose of the Dead hooker body parts you have in the trunk of your 1976 Datsun B-210
7. Renew your membership to NAMBLA 

There see, problem solved!   

It's a silly video game, get the F over it. If they want to put "with every new A&8 Membership, you get appointed Admiral of the Kerplakistani Navy and Guardian of the Holy Scepter of Uranus" then god bless Balls, it's his URL. 

Big :salute to those who posted calling out to get over it.             

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
For those of you that are so worried about what phrase or catchline is on the A-8 website from god knows when (I'm an a8 and never even realized it was there) shouldn't you be more worried about something more creative?

Here, I'll give you a list that should suit your particular M.O. better:

1 Go back to worrying about how you should move out of your mom's basement.
2 Go back to arguing which Captain of Star Trek is better.
3 Fantasize that chicks will really dig you when you show up to the Star Wars Convention dressed as Boba Fett
4 Keep thinking that if you are some kind of Military Genius, when in reality you got couldn't hack it in the Cub Scouts.
5 Wonder why you look like Orca after eating the 8,000th Hot Pocket and drinking the 1,000th Gallon of Mountain Dew you consumed during the day.
6. Worry about where to dispose of the Dead hooker body parts you have in the trunk of your 1976 Datsun B-210
7. Renew your membership to NAMBLA 

There see, problem solved!   

It's a silly video game, get the F over it. If they want to put "with every new A&8 Membership, you get appointed Admiral of the Kerplakistani Navy and Guardian of the Holy Scepter of Uranus" then god bless Balls, it's his URL. 

Big :salute to those who posted calling out to get over it.             

1. Why would i want to move out? it's awesome!
2. Kirk. DUUUUUH!
3. Chicks dig me more when dressed as Lando Calrissian
4. I am a military genius, just ask the other kids in troop 417.
5. I wouldn't say Orca, more like Oprah.
6. I still don't have enough money to buy a hooker, let alone a rusty 1976 B-210.
7. No joke for that one. You're a bit hostile to say that.

I think the OP was trying to start a flame war. No other reason for this thread. Much ado about nothing anyway.

edit: FWIW, I don't recall running into A8s in an NOE raid, so you guys are OK by me. <S>
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:08:49 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »
2. Kirk. DUUUUUH!
6. I still don't have enough money to buy a hooker, let alone a rusty 1976 B-210.

I think the OP was trying to start a flame war. No other reason for this thread. Much ado about nothing anyway.

edit: FWIW, I don't recall running into A8s in an NOE raid, so you guys are OK by me. <S>

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok

All in fun! I didn't think of smooth Billy Dee W for the Star Wars Convention!

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
2. Kirk. DUUUUUH!

I was the stoner in troop 188 Hot-Poocckkett
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »
You guys have a nice web site by the way.  :aok

I was reading your history on your main page and copied this quote:

"Within 2 months, the Aces & 8s had recorded a total of 3 consecutive map resets for the Rooks. A feat that has yet to be equaled by any other squad. Our final history has yet to be written."

Just curious, but I have to ask a question about this statement above.

How has it been determined that its a "feat that has yet to be equaled by any other squad"?

I know there has been several resets conducted back to back by not only Bish squads, but Knits also and most certainly more than 3 consecutive in a two month period by the same squad.

I am just curious to how you interpreted this statement.

Salute DG!
Thanks for the compliments on the A8's website.

This of course occured back in the days of 1 main arena (I really miss that). While being a new Squadron with only 11 members, we weren't as recognized as we are today. We knew we had to prove ourselves if we were to ever gain the support of other Squads. Starting out on the Pizza map, we started taking bases and keeping notes. After each base take, we announced over the country channel "AXX or Vxx brought to you courtesy of the Aces & 8s". After taking the final base for the reset, we announced the same over channel 200. After 30 hours we were reduced from 11, to 9 very tired players, but had managed to gain the momentum needed to achieve this. Keeping track of the total number of bases on each map and how many the A8s took by ourselves (as well as the final take), gave us a clear indication that we were in fact, the deciding factor in the resets. In fact, we took a TT base to reset that particular map and soon caught hell for doing so.

Can we prove this? No, sure can't. Nothing was kept from those 2 days to prove one way or the other. The players in-game at the time probably don't even recall anything from that far back.

Can we do this again? No, sure can't. The A8s now have enough good friends that if we were to begin a campaign of this sort again, we would be joined by some of the best Squads in AHII, and it wouldn't be the same. We really enjoy playing with other Squads.

Can we brag about this on our website? Oh yeah....

Salute to all of the great people playing Aces High. They're what keeps us all coming back for more!

Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2009, 08:01:04 AM »
 :salute Well said Sir. Them were the REAL good 'ol days. :salute

:devil Negativity...we feed off it like a fat kid eats cake!  :t

:salute  Everyone friends and foes alike.  :salute

A8Chewey
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2009, 08:08:33 AM »
Salute DG!
Thanks for the compliments on the A8's website.

:salute A8's

I apologize for any misconceptions and that surely was not my intent.  

The BBS is like going to a poker game at a Friends house with everyones kids playing in the living room, we all know they are there, but the focus is on the hand your gonna play, not the kids fighting over toys and attention.   :lol  
The sad thing is, some of the adults would rather enjoy playing with the kids at the Barbie station than playing cards...  :D

See you guys in the virtual blues  :salute

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."