Author Topic: The K/D now and then  (Read 7399 times)

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: The K/D now and then
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
Would be nice to have a hot/high ranked (fighter mode) Icon labeled in some way... ;)

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
Very nice

Tour 64: 0.77 (first full month)

Tour 111: 16.80 (current tour)

Tour 108: 40.50 (best K/D)
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »
I think killing higher ranked pilots should be worht more perkies, maybe even quite a bit more.

Yes I understand rank does not equal skill, but as a general rule, people ranked high in fighters die less than those ranked lower, regardless of skill level.  Thus, the rarer pelt is more valuable.
An interesting idea and certainly valid on the surface; however, consider the unintended consequences.  Most of us have already experienced someone who gets po'd at getting shot down and comes back with a go-fast just to find the guy that killed him.  Now, imagine 30-40 (100?) guys in an arena hearing Baron Von X is at A23 in a P38 and see how many people converge there for the "pelt" and points.  Is it sporting for the Baron to have a price on his head?  Think it wouldn't happen?  How many people will do whatever it takes to kill a 262?  :D
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »
Moot point as most of the "highest ranked" fly around with a posse anyways to set up easy kills, so they can make the front page every month.  :rofl

Might actually keep their name outta the lights if they have to fight to keep it. Who knows?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
Would be nice to have a hot/high ranked (fighter mode) Icon labeled in some way... ;)

I initially dismissed this idea as yet another way for Lazerr to proclaim is 'awsomeness' as he does every chance he gets on these BBs :P, but in thinking about it more, this is a REALLY bad idea. This might make it harder for good pilots to get in fight because many of lesser score would avoid them, and the noobs would be even more mercilessly picked on, driving them out of the game even faster than they already are.

I suggest a better solution might be to have Level-up arenas. Noobs all start in the Noob arena. Once you demonstated you're in the upper percentile of Noobs you are allowed to enter the MODERATE arena, after that the EXPERT arena. Of course once you level up, no going back to the less skilled arena unless your score tanks in the next up Arena. This way the experts don't have to waste their time, and run their scores up, chasing after running noobs, and Noobs don't have to get discoraged that they are not having any success which leads to them quitting the game before they have developed the skill-set to be competitive. Then Titanic Tuesday could be the one night when everyone flies together. I think the K/D distribution the Lusche posted is so left shifted because of the talent disparity in the MA.

I also think this would help retain a lot of new pilots and help grow the business.
Who is John Galt?

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
Yes Im good, your horrible.  Get over it.  This is an online game im gloating about, NOT ANY TALENT OF ANY SUBSTANCE, IN REAL LIFE.  You should work on keeping your plane airborn before you worry anything about icons. ;)

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
Not a bad idea

I initially dismissed this idea as yet another way for Lazerr to proclaim is 'awsomeness' as he does every chance he gets on these BBs :P, but in thinking about it more, this is a REALLY bad idea. This might make it harder for good pilots to get in fight because many of lesser score would avoid them, and the noobs would be even more mercilessly picked on, driving them out of the game even faster than they already are.

I suggest a better solution might be to have Level-up arenas. Noobs all start in the Noob arena. Once you demonstated you're in the upper percentile of Noobs you are allowed to enter the MODERATE arena, after that the EXPERT arena. Of course once you level up, no going back to the less skilled arena unless your score tanks in the next up Arena. This way the experts don't have to waste their time, and run their scores up, chasing after running noobs, and Noobs don't have to get discoraged that they are not having any success which leads to them quitting the game before they have developed the skill-set to be competitive. Then Titanic Tuesday could be the one night when everyone flies together. I think the K/D distribution the Lusche posted is so left shifted because of the talent disparity in the MA.

I also think this would help retain a lot of new pilots and help grow the business.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
 Now, imagine 30-40 (100?) guys in an arena hearing Baron Von X is at A23 in a P38 and see how many people converge there for the "pelt" and points.  Is it sporting for the Baron to have a price on his head?  Think it wouldn't happen?  How many people will do whatever it takes to kill a 262?  :D

That's been done ... it was fun.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
done in AW wasnt it?  some sort of bounty system...lets do it.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
will a bounty make the target more timid?
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2009, 04:10:56 PM »
I have selfish reasons for it....I say place it on the top 20-25 fighter scores (im up there) so that they draw a crowd (fight comes to me) and are forced to fight off the perk hungry.  So in the end...I have to do less work to find red planes to shoot down.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »

Dunno... but we did it in AW and it was fun. Just put a perk bonus for a  kill on these guys.  If they suffer no additional penalty for dying, not sure how they would be more timid.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »

KOTH

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2009, 06:56:50 PM »
done in AW wasnt it?  some sort of bounty system...lets do it.

It was a private set up thing, not offiicially done and in the end it ended up being a joke.  At first it was pretty cool but it generated into people putting bounties up just to grief others and it also became a popularity contest.  It got to the point that those that had the bounty on them were the ones that weren't known for their skill but rather how popular they were in chat.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »

They tended to be the timid players already.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song