Author Topic: The K/D now and then  (Read 7398 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: The K/D now and then
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 10:21:35 AM »
Lower k/d can also be caused by fighting more...
higher k/d from running more...

This is true...I have always looked at my hit percentage as a more accurate read of how I am doing.  It does not reflect everything involved, but it does show how well I am doing at getting guns on target.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 10:31:45 AM »
no no no  and no.  The veteran players who have stuck around now have higher K/d than they used to because there are a lot more easy targets around. Back when there was more parity, the players had a harder time excelling.

This is the ONLY statement that has ANY validity in this thread up to Page 3.   

Crash Orange, you've yet to make a valid point in any of your "replies/arguments".   Instead of typing, listen to those who have been around here a while (not lurking for two years and creating an account) and know what they are talking about.   Steve, Del, Scotch and Krusty make the most sense out of anyone posting in this thread.   

The numbers ARE manipulated A LOT more than they were even attempted in Tour 24.   I started in Tour 27 and there was rarely gangbanging.   You had a true desire to "Reset maps".   Rarely you had "NOE's to nowhere with more than 5 participants."   Today's "Swarm mentality" has no skill involved, merely "substituting Quality with Quantity" and foisting it off as "Quality".   

This game is also filled with a lot more liars, which is the saddest factor of today's game.   Player Integrity is non-existent for most, with the exception of about 10% of the Arena.  Exaggerations are more abundant than Vultching, all in the name of saving face on 200 or in here.   If you look into other thread's right now, you'll find known liars and anything said by them, should be discarded like spent toilet paper.   

You could take the Top 50 from Tour 24 and they would smoke the Top 50 of the present.   I would even say that the "Tour 24" folks would have more than 1/2 of them being able to land.   People like Drex, Leviathn, Ripsnort, Deudel (still the best I've ever seen in a 109), Morpheus, Tarmac, AHGOD, JRCrow, Anton, Vati66, Eastwood, Gremlin, Hblair (still the best I've ever seen in a 38), Mathman (still the best I've ever seen in a Hellcat) and many others are in a league of their own.    More than 75% playing the game today never encountered these guys and would be in the tower fast.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:47:15 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »
Tour 64: 0.77 (first full month)

Tour 111: 16.80 (current tour)

Tour 108: 40.50 (best K/D)

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »
Interesting, very very interesting.  From those numbers, it would appear, that the glorious past was pretty similar to the sucky (according to certain people) today.

I wonder if the folks who were the top of the food chain 7 years ago were fondly remembering glorious days gone by?  Is the truth perhaps more along the lines that the folks at the top of the food chain now simply have a "rose colored" view of the exciting days when they were coming up the ranks?

Stats don't reflect the game climate 7 years ago, believe me.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »

Great point and very true :aok

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
Many of the same folks that played back then continue to play now. Many of those came from other games and had been flying for years prior to AH. The number of people in an arena didn't establish the K/D. The pilots did. Larger arenas with more folks up meant more fights.
Smaller arenas with smaller groups up actually caused the demise of another dogfight game. For those who only want a 1v1 fight maybe you can ask HTC to set up a 1v1 arena (like the old 8 player arena) and you can pay a monthly fee to go do that. Have fun.

What amazes me the most is the number of people who have been flying of 2 years or more that show up in the TA for some training. They then get an eye opener and a new look at how they can fly better.

Unlike Sonny Bono, his wife didn't absorb his knowledge of government by osmosis. If folks think they can then expect a less than 1.0 kill ratio.

Ren

Offline AHGOD666

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
Found this topic.  Thought I would comment.  I haven't been in the game in a couple years.  But I can vouch for back in the early days.  You had to really fight for your kills.  When there were just a few people online.  The fights were hard and intense.  And you didn't have people scrambling to pick off your kills.

When AH went completely mainstream.  The influx was insane.  And the targets were around in hordes.  It was like picking off fish in a barrel.  Sorry to borrow that phrase. 

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 10:47:06 PM »
Get ready for a flurry of necro-bump pics before the thread is locked. :banana:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 11:59:35 PM »
Found this topic.  Thought I would comment.  I haven't been in the game in a couple years.  But I can vouch for back in the early days.  You had to really fight for your kills.  When there were just a few people online.  The fights were hard and intense.  And you didn't have people scrambling to pick off your kills.

When AH went completely mainstream.  The influx was insane.  And the targets were around in hordes.  It was like picking off fish in a barrel.  Sorry to borrow that phrase.  

Chris!!!   QUAH!!!!! :rock    HTC can make an exception for this.   How have you been Chris?

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline AHGOD666

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
Doing good man.  Dusting off my old stick and will hopefully be back to flying soon :)  How have you been?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 01:42:46 AM »
Way to bump an old thread!

All the old stats became useless as soon as AH2 came out and AH1 was replaced.

Sure pilots back then could fly a spit or a chog, and they can now.

The difference was that anybody within 1.2k in front of you was "easy kill" range back in AH1. There may not have been a defacto hit bubble, but it sure acted like one. 50cal and hispano rounds regularly (and almost every time) ranged out to 1.2k for instant kills. Try that in AH2 and you'll be RTB sans ammo.

Other arguments may be valid as well (such as more targets for more skilled pilots, whatever) but the kills were easier to get in AH1, and much harder in AH2. IMO that alone changes things.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 06:51:37 AM »
Heh I have been flying these thing forever it seems and my K/D has always sucked because I am not "careful" most of my deaths come from being "picked" while engaging some other target (I think this is true of most of the masses).  Judging someone's skill in the game by their stats can be VERY misleading, one bad night can bring a good K/D ratio down into the mudd.

I flew with ALL the guys Mash spoke of and got kills on them (not as many they got on me but hey....).  I still lose some planes due to stick cal on take off cause I don't use EZ mode takeoff (there are alot of variables in computer gaming that have nothing to do with real flying skills)

All in All I fall into the massive middle and have no problems with it and never have, like everyone I can get frustrated from time to time and make silly statements I wish I hadn't but then I have never seen anyone who posts here not do the same.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »

:salute Words of wisdom  :aok

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2009, 07:20:45 AM »
Thing is that most of the guys doing the complaining are more than willing to help individuals learn.  Quite frankly the attitude from the other side toward those willing to help has been doing nothing but inflaming things.
I complain more then most, but this is very true I actually helped a 1Blauv out in the DA and he started beating up on some WoT  :rofl :rofl :aok :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »
Doing good man.  Dusting off my old stick and will hopefully be back to flying soon :)  How have you been?

Been doing good, let me know when you get in the Arenas.   WMLute corralled me and I joined his squad.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC