Author Topic: Sight tactic for Mossies, 163s...ect  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Sight tactic for Mossies, 163s...ect
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:53:54 PM »
I always loved the Mossie but the front view is set to low for optimum views. I always wanted to sit up higher, and would do so. However when I went to sight an enemy, or even use other views, I would have to return to default vew which is simply to low. I noticed this with the ME-163 too. When viewing forward, and in order to use the sights, you have to sit down like your in a bathtub. You could set all the other views higher and/or farther back but not the front view, "again you were slaved to the default in order to use your sights. So heres what I did.

First I put this cursor sight into the game as my default cursor.

Then I went to my Mossie, upp it, brought up a target and set it to 400 away. I leveled my Mossie, paged up and back until I got the view I wanted, from this To this And I played with the cursor sight until I could hit dead center target with it zeroed at 400 yrds in level flight. The distance from the bottom of the cursor to the top of the sight base was 7/8'th an inch. Then, and this is very important, I landed the thing without touching the cursor and then measured the distance from the top of the sight base to the bottom of the cursor as 1.1/8" . So now when I upp a Mossie, and before I take off, I take my sight/cursor, center it on the sight base, and make sure the bottom base of the sight is 1&1/8th " apart. I'll be dead on every time.

Now look at the ME-163 views. First the regular/default front view
Now look at your enhanced view using the cursor sight.

This should help deflections shots an awful lot. Using it will certainly help your S/A. And now with both sight planes measured, while the airplane is level and when its angled for takeoff, you'll be right on shooting dead on.

:salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sight tactic for Mossies, 163s...ect
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:00:24 PM »
Yup, you can do this in any of the un-updated planes, the newer ones have more realistic restrictions on head movement.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
Move that head position to the side.. On many planes it's a matter of habit/preference/trade-off, but in the 163 you can definitely afford to look over the nose on one side for more leading angle visibility, since it is so easy to nudge the nose out of the way with the rudder or by flying a bit more oblique a trajectory than you would otherwise.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
You can set your cursor by holding it over the gunsight and pressing H. From there due to the way the snap view system works you can move your view to anywhere in the cockpit you want and your rounds will still go to where your cursor is held.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »
You can also that with the P38.
Strokes

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
I can't help to think its an exploit.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »
Everyone can do it. I used to do it and.. Now I don't even need it anymore. I know exactly where the rounds are going without the cursor. In the 152 and 262 anyway.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »
You can also that with the P38.
You can do it in any plane, but only in the unupdated planes does it provide a significant advantage.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »
I can't help to think its an exploit.

Compared to the gamey stuff we got in the game already this isnt even a misdemeanor.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »
This is breaking the spirit of the game in my opion.  HTC should make the mouse cursor disappear after it hasn't moved for ~15 seconds.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
What'll really blow the idea away is the fact that you don't NEED an aiming reference when shooting under the nose with head position moved like that. You're praying anyways, and with a little practice (it's quite easy) you can memorize where the "center" of the screen is.

Forcing yourself to shoot at the "X" is just a crutch. You can get past it.

I've even heard from several players using TrackIR that they don't need the crosshair anymore.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:33:23 PM »

I've even heard from several players using TrackIR that they don't need the crosshair anymore.

You don't need it, because it doesn't work anymore when your head is free floating around the cocpit.
The cursor stays in center of the screen. However, often, if not most of the time, this isn't related to the gun axis in any way.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:42:31 AM »
After flying the P51D for a very long time and no other plane the aim point becomes instinctive and after lining up a shot you can even look back over your shoulder while firing. The cursor thing works but it can also lead you into some bad positions where you miss a crossing snapshot and the other guy reverses lead into lag and then into pure.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 01:53:01 AM »
First I put this cursor sight into the game as my default cursor.

noob here, how do you do that?
Game ID: Blimey

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 04:07:24 AM »
The mossie has an excellent over the nose view - an expected from a short nose and high sitting position. If you move all the was forward and some up, it is almost a no-cockpit view.

Also, you do not need to measure anything. Lower the head position till you see your real aimpoint in the hud, put the cursor on it and move your head to where ever you want - the cursor will stay at the aimpoint.

Buy yes, this is kind of exploit and the cursor should disappear after a few seconds.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs