Author Topic: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...  (Read 26523 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Wirbelwind is no longer any fun...
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2013, 02:33:05 AM »
Keep in mind that killing the pilot in any Aces High model will cause it to immediately explode; before the days of the "spiraling to death" plane animation this was much more evident, though the explosion is still visible for some odd reason. As such, the meatbag in the driver's seat of ground vehicles is considered the pilot; this is why you could roll a Jeep into a Tiger and shoot the driver's console to destroy it. Thus, if any gunfire makes it down the holes in the turret to either hit the driver directly, explode into the driver, or ricochet into the driver, the vehicle will explode.

EDIT: 7,000th post. Party hard.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2013, 02:51:28 AM »
Keep in mind that killing the pilot in any Aces High model will cause it to immediately explode; before the days of the "spiraling to death" plane animation this was much more evident, though the explosion is still visible for some odd reason. As such, the meatbag in the driver's seat of ground vehicles is considered the pilot; this is why you could roll a Jeep into a Tiger and shoot the driver's console to destroy it. Thus, if any gunfire makes it down the holes in the turret to either hit the driver directly, explode into the driver, or ricochet into the driver, the vehicle will explode.

EDIT: 7,000th post. Party hard.

In the case of the Osti & Wirbel they built a steel partition between the storage area & the driver so if the ammo was to go off the driver had a chance to survive..

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2013, 03:08:10 AM »
In the case of the Osti & Wirbel they built a steel partition between the storage area & the driver so if the ammo was to go off the driver had a chance to survive..

I would guess that would be little more than a morale boostee for the driver. Couple of thousand 20mm explosive shells cooking off inside a vehicle would likely turned the driver into a stain.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »
I would guess that would be little more than a morale boostee for the driver. Couple of thousand 20mm explosive shells cooking off inside a vehicle would likely turned the driver into a stain.

Well it would ceratainly have made him "Stain" something! :lol
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
Lazarus is that you?
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
ostwind

:cheers:
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
What?

Ineffective and discontinued after 100 were built? Really 100? And their slicing planes from the sky left and right, up and down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=fQMMi7sLOr4

I mean you cant even look at them, there like Medusa!

Ridiculous,

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
Wish it did have a slight perk, just so people would use other types of anti aircraft.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
Wish it did have a slight perk, just so people would use other types of anti aircraft.

It would be even better if HTC would model it closer to its actual capabilities. The real Wirblewind couldn't fire a continuous stream from all four guns due to how they were loaded. The closest they could get was to alternate pairs (fire one pair while the other pair is reloaded).

And TBH it should apply to ALL guns (bomber guns included) that were reloaded in a similar fashion.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »
It would be even better if HTC would model it closer to its actual capabilities. The real Wirblewind couldn't fire a continuous stream from all four guns due to how they were loaded. The closest they could get was to alternate pairs (fire one pair while the other pair is reloaded).

And TBH it should apply to ALL guns (bomber guns included) that were reloaded in a similar fashion.

If they modeled in reloading, I wouldn't complain.  Would make flying the G4M1 a bit more challenging, that's for sure. :)  Sure as hell wouldn't stop me from flying her, or the Ju. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »

It could fire all 4 at once if loaded..but then it wouldn't be firing during reloading. It certainly would not be firing hundreds/thousands of rounds at a pull. The firing, sighting, turning of the turret, and elevation all done by the gunner with 2 mechinacal wheels.

The Wirble and the Osti both carried spare barrels in the boxes next to the engine compartments, maybe there could be barrel changes implemented after a certain amount of rounds expended.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
I think that was for non-combat situations. I don't think you should force pilots of P-51s to overhaul their own engines, too, while you're at it? Reloading was a combat limitation, barrel changes? Ehhh.. not so much.

P.S. The ammo boxes contained 20 rounds only. You could fire all 4 guns but only for 20 rounds. In WW2 they didn't spray nonstop streams at planes like they do here. They also weren't so invisible as they are in here.

IMO the wirble needs a heavy perk. Then they need to introduce the 4x20mm flak halftrack. Same gun but open turret, minimal armor. Even MGs could take it out. THAT and the M16 should be unperked.. possible leave the Osty unperked as an inbetween step from the halftracks to the Wirb. Maybe?

THIS is what Aces High should have modeled instead of the wirble: The SdfKz 7.

It was THE workhorse of the German army. Over 5000 produced and saw service in every part of the war. Loaded out in many quite common variants, it carried a 37mm like the ostwind:

(note those sides on the flatbed are laid flat for operational use)

It towed 88mm:

It had quad 20mm like our wirb:

If we had the firepower with a much softer (and let's be honest, more representative) target, it would be a better tradeoff. Then the armored tank-chassis osty and wirb could be perked.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »
I think that was for non-combat situations. I don't think you should force pilots of P-51s to overhaul their own engines, too, while you're at it? Reloading was a combat limitation, barrel changes? Ehhh.. not so much.

P.S. The ammo boxes contained 20 rounds only. You could fire all 4 guns but only for 20 rounds. In WW2 they didn't spray nonstop streams at planes like they do here. They also weren't so invisible as they are in here.

IMO the wirble needs a heavy perk. Then they need to introduce the 4x20mm flak halftrack. Same gun but open turret, minimal armor. Even MGs could take it out. THAT and the M16 should be unperked.. possible leave the Osty unperked as an inbetween step from the halftracks to the Wirb. Maybe?

THIS is what Aces High should have modeled instead of the wirble: The SdfKz 7.

It was THE workhorse of the German army. Over 5000 produced and saw service in every part of the war. Loaded out in many quite common variants, it carried a 37mm like the ostwind:

(Image removed from quote.)(note those sides on the flatbed are laid flat for operational use)

It towed 88mm:

(Image removed from quote.)

It had quad 20mm like our wirb:

If we had the firepower with a much softer (and let's be honest, more representative) target, it would be a better tradeoff. Then the armored tank-chassis osty and wirb could be perked.

Yes!

The Osti and the Wirble came from the Mobelwagen which was also on a Panzer chassis. 240 of these were produced this would also allow the wirble and osti to have a perk price. With less than 50 osti and around 100 wirbles this would be easy to add.

Your offer would be a whole new addition but... <don't let this go to your head> ....you are right.. with that many produced it should have been in the game long before these two :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:41:40 PM by Megalodon »

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
Agreed 119.8%

Wirb should be perked like a Panther or Tiger I. Osti, slightly less. The M16 and German halftrack with quad 20's or 88 should be the unperked AA platforms.

:aok
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
Quantity produced, armor differences, gun differences, round dispersion, rate of fire, etc. are not reasons used for perking.  It's all about it's impact on the play in the game.  At this time the Wirbelwind does not imbalance play in any way in the main arenas.

-Wirbelgawd
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!