Author Topic: Negative-G push? or "stick stir"?  (Read 6291 times)

Offline rv6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.aircombatusa.com/AC_Testimonial.htm#James
Negative-G push? or "stick stir"?
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:44:25 AM »
I've been here for a very long time. Since GEnie Airwarrior network   :old:.  Too old to really care about scores, bragging rights, trying to "game" the game, etc.  I avoid HO's 100% of the time, and if I get tagged by a HO stream, I say "good for you!" no big deal.  If I get picked or vulched or ganged or rammed or shotdown for any reason, I say, "good one", my bad SA.  There's an endless supply of planes back at base..

To the point, stick stirring?

When I'm low n' slow and on the deck and someone is locked onto my 6, coming in hi-energy I do this:

Flip the right wing straight up, initiate a tight left flat turn, look out rearview to watch attacker.  When he/she flips their right wing up and starts the pull up, I chop throttle and push the stick forward into a negative-g push-over, until I Red-Out.  Roll wings level, and pull positive-G.  Sometimes, the attacker hangs in, and I'll repeat the negative-G push drill.

The veteran pilots kill me every single time, by hanging back, and tickling off short bursts.  The non-veterans fly out front and the reversal is complete.

I fly real airplanes (recreationally), and have flown aerobatic rated aircraft.  Doing what I just said (above) is absolutely do'able.  It is however, one of the most gut-wrenching, sickening feelings that you can imagine.  Look at a Sean Tucker video on YOutube, and imaging trying to follow him.

Occaisionally I get a PM calling me a "stick stirring SOB!"  In itself, no big deal as I really don't need validation from any armchair ace to tell me how to fly the AH sim.

But, I'm asking for a true (non vulgar) opinion from AH pilots with more than 5 yrs experience what do you think about negative-G pushover evasives?  Is it in bad form to do it?   Don't the act of trying to use net-lag by true  stick-stirring result lockup of the controls?  If some of the old hands say it's bad form, I'll stop doing it, and take my lumps, no problemo..

Thanks for your thoughts..

RV6

Offline ZZee

• Zinc Member
      • POTW
Re: Negative-G push? or "stick stir"?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:00:15 AM »
I say its OK, as long as its not followed by the usual flop that is so common with that sorta maneuver. All you're doing is trying to force the overshoot by following an atypical set of maneuvers that a noob (or anyone) might not see as they go to lead shoot you. I say carry on.   :airplane:

Also, i'd like to add that if someone wishes to flop around like a dying fish that is their business and 15 bucks, spend it how you will, jut have fun.

:cheers:

Z

POTW 2nd wing

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:00:17 AM »
But, I'm asking for a true (non vulgar) opinion from AH pilots with more than 5 yrs experience what do you think about negative-G pushover evasives?  Is it in bad form to do it?   Don't the act of trying to use net-lag by true  stick-stirring result lockup of the controls?  If some of the old hands say it's bad form, I'll stop doing it, and take my lumps, no problemo..

Thanks for your thoughts..

RV6

I use them occasionally, particularily for HO avoidance.  What I don't like about them is that they bleed too much E. 

A negative G manouver isn't nessesarily stick stirring.  You'll know a stick stirrer when you see them.  They are easily beaten by cutting throttle, hanging back and firing an occasional burst into the middle of their flopping fish flight pattern.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »
What you are describing is a lot different than the typical 190 flop, flop, wiggle, flop, flop, almost auger, flop, random negative G stir, flop, flop and auger.  You are calculating what you are doing and doing it with purpose.  IMHO that's not bad form.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
The maneuver you just descibed is not stick stirring. It is a little gamey in the fact that, as you said, it is gut wrenching and sickining in real life. That feeling would affect your shot when the enemy plane flew by. In the game it does not. The move is doable in real life. I do not consider it stick stirring.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »
  It is however, one of the most gut-wrenching, sickening feelings that you can imagine. 

RV6

Hey RV, I ve been called names by the Aces for just pushing the stick forward and chopping throttle.  The excuse is that it would be impossible in real life because of how sick it can get you.

My response would be that in real life, I can't imagine a more gut-wrenching feeling other than having a bunch of cannons and 50s ready to blow you off the sky, so if the plane could do it, I would take the sickness and the possibility of losing control, over the bullets.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »
Hiya RV... Nothing wrong with doing it....
it works and most will not be able to catch it in time...

Cheers
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 09:56:08 AM »
definitely NOT stick stirring  :aok

most "stick stirring" I see done is in the 16.  but many have no clue to what "stick stirring" is, I have been called a "stick stirrer" cuz the nme cons could not kill me, all I was doing was evasive's (with a lot of negative G's) and avoiding there BnZ passes. :rofl

So keep at it :aok
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:59:13 AM by ink »

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »
This is stick-stirring coupled with the ping difference between an american and an european player which makes his plane appear to change direction almost instantly.

http://www.4shared.com/file/159830153/50a9c891/breakdancespit.html

Rv your stuff isnt stick stirring  :aok
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:08:58 AM by Viperius »

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »
Pretty comon real life evasive, especially since no one like the "floating feeling", you are less precise on your rudder/sticks inputs when you are being pushed upward. ... plus there's always the chance of the "other" bastard not to have his harness tighly enought and hit the canopy.

Dogfighting in real life is so much more exausting, even for a small time.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »
What you are describing is a lot different than the typical 190 flop, flop, wiggle, flop, flop, almost auger, flop, random negative G stir, flop, flop and auger.  You are calculating what you are doing and doing it with purpose.  IMHO that's not bad form.

x2
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
I have used the same maneuver.

HiTech

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:51:09 AM »

Hey RV, I ve been called names by the Aces for just pushing the stick forward and chopping throttle.  The excuse is that it would be impossible in real life because of how sick it can get you.

My response would be that in real life, I can't imagine a more gut-wrenching feeling other than having a bunch of cannons and 50s ready to blow you off the sky, so if the plane could do it, I would take the sickness and the possibility of losing control, over the bullets.

:rock
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
The stick stirring ticks me off. The neg G doesnt bother me. I use it myself depending on the situation to force the overshot. 
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
Not stirring. I have done it many times (in RL too), mostly not to redout; -3-4G. You can push 3-4 times and roll aft all pushes without any problem. If you push 4g and then pull 6g and roll all the time, you surely are stickstirring :D
Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!