Author Topic: Ok, lets talk about the F4U-1C Corsair.  (Read 11148 times)

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Ok, lets talk about the F4U-1C Corsair.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2000, 05:30:00 PM »
The F4F Wildcat had a 5:1 kill ratio, with 4 or 6 .50's and a 330mph top end...

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2000, 06:04:00 PM »
Check my stats, been doing an experiment with the Hawg.  My gunnery is 5%, pretty sucky, but check out my k/d, ranked 2nd I believe.  Now check the different planes I have flown, the 1c is by far the best ratio.  Only 2 or 3 sorties have been vulch fest, highest total was 11 i believe.  Someone with 5% gunnery should have pretty avg stats, go back in the tours without the 1c.  The guns only require 1 ping to do some serious damage, with my gunnery I dont have to actually perform much ACM just ping once and move on.  Now If I switch to something else, say the 51 I cant rack up kills.  I salute the deadly 109, 51 drivers.  There is some real skill there, but IMHO the 1c is the uberdweeb ride, makes avg guys look good.  This coming from someone who almost exclusively has flown it, IMHO it has to go.

------------------
Dnil
902nd Immortal Jaguars
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2000, 06:21:00 PM »
I don't think it is so much that the plane is an uber-plane. (Lol, what a word!   )  I think it is the way in which it is used.  Like others have said, it is a vulchers dream.  Due to it's large ammo load and lethality, anyone who knows a vulch is going on will take an F4u-1c.  As far as a dogfight goes, an F4u-1c is good only if you have a significant altitude advantage over your foe.  If you don't have an altitude advantage, and your opponent is obviously no rookie, you only have a few options available: A. You can try to dive away from him and run to friendlies.  B. You can attempt to fight, and probably lose.  C.  You can go for the head-on, and most probably both of you will die.
I fly the f4u-1c quite often (though not exclusively) and I rarely win a fight without having at least a 5k alt advantage, or a big speed advantage.  Personally I don't believe that the f4u-1c is more dangerous than any other fighter, all have their strongpoints and weakpoints.  The f4u-1c's strongpoints are: Rollrate, guns, toughness, and top speed.  Its weakpoints are many: Climbrate, acceleration, sustained turning ability, and visibility.  The f4u-1c is also easy prey for any p38's lurking at 35k, an altitude the f4u can barely reach.

Also, IMO, the k/d stats are of little value.  Think about it:  If you are defending a vulched base, what type of plane to you fly?  Simple, you fly a spit, n1k, or c205.  What is the plane that is vulching the base?  Answer: F4u-1c, Fw190, or 109 with gondolas.  Need more examples:  What type of planes do newbies fly?  IMO, most fly either a spit, or (who knows why) p51.  The reason is that they are the easiest to fly.  The f4u is generally flown by experienced pilots who understand the concepts of E fighting (i.e. BnZ).  If a newbie takes up an f4u (assuming they can get it off the ground), is it likely that they will continue to use it once they realize that it's only true strength for TnB fighting is it's guns?  Not likely IMHO.

I'm just waiting for the Typhoon to make it's appearence, along with ground vehicles.  I'll bet that the f4u-1c usage drops quite severely.  Why do I think that?  Simple, ground vehicles will destroy planes that are vulching.  Second, the Typhoon also has 4 20mm cannon.  My guess is that we will see a role change for the f4u soon.  It will become, along with the Typhoon and 190, primarily used for JABO purposes, and as a result, its K/D will drop.

These are all just my (rather lengthy) opinions of course, and should be taken as such.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

[This message has been edited by bloom25 (edited 03-21-2000).]

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2000, 06:47:00 PM »
IMHO
Excluding planes from the MA planeset is a  big mistake. Only RPS can be worse.

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2000, 07:04:00 PM »
The only time I HATE the cannon Hog, is when im in a buff. You just dont get enough time on the trigger in range to kill it before he kills you in range.

range = 1000 yards

Maybe take 2 cannons away from it, leaving 2!

[This message has been edited by Camel (edited 03-21-2000).]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2000, 07:04:00 PM »
Humble, the plane that had that kill rate historicly was the F4U-1D, armed with 6 .50 calibre machineguns.  The F4U-1C is a fantasy aircraft, thats what I was saying at the top with my references to the Ta-152, Spitfire Mk F.21 and A7M3 Reppu, it saw combat in such limited numbers as to be insignificant.
Yet look at the kill rate of the F4U-1D here.  Are you all saying that when people fly the F4U-1D that they don't boom and zoom with it?  Why?
My personal favorite ride is the razorback Spitfire Mk XIV and I know that many here would love a Fw-190D-9.  These would have much the same effect as the F4U-1C does now, yet when we brought the subject up we were roundly and soundly blasted for it, in no small part by the guys who mostly fly the F4U-1C.
I would rather have a sim in which there is no clearly "best" aircraft than have even my prefered ride added.  Currently, it seems to me, the F4U-1C Corsair is clearly the best, and by a long shot, fighter.
If it were just the guns, then the N1K2 and Fw-190A-8 would also have favorable kill rates, yet neither comes even close to the F4U-1C.
It obviously isn't the F4U Corsair that people like, look at the numbers on the 1D, its the cannon that Corsairs didn't carry in WWII that people like.

Sisu

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 03-21-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2000, 07:14:00 PM »
I've been whining about this bird since it was introduced.  My complaint isn't about its lethality, but about its impact on the game relative to its impact on the war.  There were so few built we aren't even sure if it was derived from the F4U-1D or from the F4U-1A, and there's a world of difference between the two.

I hope some day AH has historical arenas with realistic planesets, then the F4U-1C will not be an issue.

The more I fly AH lately, the more I long for planes like the G.50, I-16, D.520, Hawk 75, and the Buffalo.  A 3-kill mission in an I-16 would be much more satisifying than any 10-kill vulchfest in the -1C.  Well, not much more, but a little more.  Or almost.

Ok, I love to vulch.

ra

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2000, 07:42:00 PM »

Originally posted by Karnak:

It obviously isn't the F4U Corsair that people like, look at the numbers on the 1D, its the cannon that Corsairs didn't carry in WWII that people like.

Yes to have a arms on a plane that wasīnt used in WWII sux, it sux a big one.
It dosīnt matter wich angle or how impossible it looks, for the f4u c, to hit. It does and I am getting pretty tired of it.
Late war planes , ok, but this is actully a NON WWII CONFIGURATION. This is a after war plane.
I hope, because of this, that it s configuration will be altered in this planeset.
Crabofix, "fresh fish and alive seashells"
Svenska Kungliga Flygvapnet.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2000, 07:46:00 PM »
Every once in a while I get really strange and think "I should grab a 1D", then I shake my head clear.

The thing about the 1C is that it ends the fight before it has a chance to begin, 98% of the time.

Interestingly, I approach these Monster Hogs like a lit stick of dynamite.  Sort of exciting to have such lethality coming after you.  I guess it drives me to be better.  I love killing them.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 03-21-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

CANNON

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2000, 08:10:00 PM »
 Youll forget all about it when the tiffy comes out. BTW. Me and that other one plane wonder were both higher up the food chain before the 1c was interduced.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2000, 09:51:00 PM »
Said it before and I'll say it again ..it's not the plane it's the pilot.

A good pilot can make any plane look Uber.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2000, 09:53:00 PM »

The more I fly AH lately, the more I long for planes like the G.50, I-16, D.520, Hawk 75, and the Buffalo.

Hehe, and everyone would fly the D.520 because it has a Hispano!  

Oddly enough, yesterday I read in a book on USN fighters that the pilots prefered the 6x.50's to the 4x20mm's... Why would pilots prefer the .50's?

How about the Lancaster gets four Hispano in the turrets? Then the bomber pilots will have revenge!  

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2000, 11:25:00 PM »
Historically, the 4x20s had slower ROF, carried fewer rounds and were prone to malfunction.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2000, 11:58:00 PM »
Ok take all the guns away so you whinner's will shut up leave the planes alone. Or go fly C47 around and site see. The -1C is a vulch king and it will get better when the flaps are fixed on it. (P51 will come alive then also) so lets start the whinning about that right now. Also the half track is coming so whine about that it will have the greatest kill stat in the game. You are talking about a plane that has to flown properly to get kills and counting vulch fest kills to add to your blind stupidity it does not unbalance the game the game is growing every month. Something else will come that can beat every thing here now and will hear whinning about it so start now pull the super plane  now lets all get a kite and sling shot and go try to hit each other.

Lets stop these stupid post right now this is stupid. Pull the -1C pull all the cannons.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Crew
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2000, 01:21:00 AM »

If course A is followed, then we should get our Ta-152s (like the F4U-1C it saw insignificant or no combat), Spitfire Mk F.21s (like the F4U-1C it saw insignificant or no combat), A7M3 Reppus (like the F4U-1C it saw insignificant or no combat) and the Russian and Italian equivalents

Ahhhhh YES!   Bring the Fiat G.56 to AH!
- 3x20mm
- Daimler-Benz 603A with 1,750hp
- max speed 425mph

Gatt
4^Stormo CT
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown