Author Topic: Gun sight image size analysis  (Read 31733 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Gun sight image size analysis
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »
Baumer: It's finish, but that was way more of a PITA then I thought it was going to be.
Ya ow me a beer.

HiTech

Just a beer?  You're letting Baumer off light.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
Thank you Hitech and the rest of HTC, sorry it turned out to be a PITA. So do you want the Beer (or Scotch) now, or at the CON? And yes I won't forget to get Sudz a veggie pizza next time.

<S> Baumer

If he want's Scotch whiskey im the man to get it i can you nice bottle of 50 year old Knokanda Malt whiskey very nice was drinking some over the weekend :)  :salute
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2010, 04:41:17 AM »
If he want's Scotch whiskey im the man to get it i can you nice bottle of 50 year old Knokanda Malt whiskey very nice was drinking some over the weekend :)  :salute

A few of those might get you a Mk XII spit.
See Rule #4

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2010, 05:03:32 AM »
Baumer,

Actually, if you use the correct gunsight for the F4U (US Mk.8, the version in which the cross extends past the ring) the sight is HALF the size it should be. I analyzed this in GREAT detail in a thread a while back, based on calculations using the Dora. But here's some comparison pics:

(Image removed from quote.)

Here's both versions of the Mk.8 sight that we have. Both were shots were taken at default head position, and it's the one on the right (the full cross) that you want to look at (incidentally, this is also the gunsight used by the F6F-5 and FM-2).

There are three rings on the sight: 25mil inner, 50mil middle, and 100mil outer. Per the description of the sight, with a 100mil calibration a target with a 30-foot wingspan should have its wingtips touching the middle (50mil) at a range of 200 yards. The Dora has a wingspan of 39ft, so at the time I did my calculations was the closest of the drones I could use for my test.

Here is the Dora with the full Mk.8 sight at default head position. Note that at 200 yards the Dora's wingspan fills the OUTER ring. This is incorrect per the above description, as it should be using the middle ring instead.

Here's the sight on the right from the first image adjusted to what it SHOULD look like based on calculations I did using the Dora.

In order to account for the discrepancy in how ranges are displayed, I also independently confirmed the scaling issue using the .target command. I spawned a Dora and set .target to absolute minimum range, then took an external screenshot. I then re-upped in a Hog and compared how it looked when I set .target to 200yds, confirming that my above test results were correct.

HT,

Urchin is correct, the issue isn't the dimensions of the BMP file, it's how the gunsight is "modeled" in the aircraft itself. I've already tried changing the size of the gunsight using the BMP file, but it couldn't make the scaling any bigger (I can only make it smaller, or give it a lower resolution).

that last F4U gunsight were u get it??? ive never seen one so clear (not hazy etc.)
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »
that last F4U gunsight were u get it??? ive never seen one so clear (not hazy etc.)

I made it myself. I'll be going back and doing some tweaks (Needs to be more reddish orange and more glowy) sometime.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »
Baumer,
There are three rings on the sight: 25mil inner, 50mil middle, and 100mil outer. Per the description of the sight, with a 100mil calibration a target with a 30-foot wingspan should have its wingtips touching the middle (50mil) at a range of 200 yards. The Dora has a wingspan of 39ft, so at the time I did my calculations was the closest of the drones I could use for my test.

Here is the Dora with the full Mk.8 sight at default head position. Note that at 200 yards the Dora's wingspan fills the OUTER ring. This is incorrect per the above description, as it should be using the middle ring instead.

It is interesting to know that the USN/USMC used 25, 50, 100 mil rings ( or rads )  to where the USAAR used 35, 70, 105 mil  on their 3 ring iron sights & optical sights........ one would assume that since all Air Corps of the US Military used the same .30 cal M1/M2, .50 cal M2 etc... that they would use the same type of sight measuring distances......even though those sights have changed from like the 6 version, 8 version, 9 version, 14 etc..... ( can go into specific sight model #/names if needed just have to dig thru some pages for correct nomenclature)

(rad is 1/2 the width of a ring ) ( rad{s} would help pilots & Gunners both, determine how much lead to allow, as well as help determine how far away the enemy plane actually was, from just about any angle...... and which way to allow for lead ( what direction )

Now if HTC ( Aces High ) scales ( has already scaled ) the optical & iron sights to historical measurements, then it would open a whole new way of learning / teaching / practicing how to figure out Fighter/Gunner gunnery..... and for those who take this all in and study it, I would imagine that their hit percentages would increase a good margin.....

I welcome any corrections on anything I may have mis posted above......

can wait to see all this on the AHwiki...... ( not this thread, but what Baumer puts on the AHwiki  :aok )

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »

Can anyone Email me some instructions on how to make a custom gun sight im getting intrested in making one now

My Email is   bullitvi@gmail.com

Thanks  :salute :salute

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »

A few of those might get you a Mk XII spit.

I will settle for them to give us the Mk VIII with these wing type option's

Spitfire MkVIII : definitive fighter with 2 stage Merlin 61, 63, 66, or 70 engine and the unpressurised; LF , F or HF wigns; 'B', 'C', or E armament ( total 5,665 )

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
How To Make A Gunsight.

1. Open a new bitmap in your favorite art program.
2. 256x256 pixles, 8bit bitmap. Save it to your "Sights" folder in the game install. There is no naming convention just .bmp extension.
3. Fill it first with black.
4. Select a line tool at one pixle width and draw an X from corner to corner to get your center and grid.
5. Add all the circles, dots, lines hashes whatever makes you happy in whatever color works for your eyes.
6. Clean up the remenants of the original X and test it offline against the drones.
7. Tweek as you need to. You can use an effects tool like a gaussian blur to make it sexy.

It is this simple.

Open a few default gunsights in an art program to get a feel for the subject matter.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »

ah cool thanks you think i be better waiting till HTC have updated the gun sights tho ????

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »
ah cool thanks you think i be better waiting till HTC have updated the gun sights tho ????

Yes
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »
Sorry.

I forgot about the possibilty that the update will change the pixel dimensions for the gunsight mask. We won't know until the new sights are released what the bitmap size will be persuant to HiTech's revamping.

You can still use these directions with the current version of the game. :)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2010, 03:05:57 PM »
Well the sight bitmap will still be 256x256 max. The sight bitmap will be 128 Mils across, however there may be some sights that are mechanically smaller, so they will not show the full 128 Mil bitmap as I understand it.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
Excellent work Baumer.  :cheers:

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2010, 10:19:50 AM »
Well the sight bitmap will still be 256x256 max. The sight bitmap will be 128 Mils across, however there may be some sights that are mechanically smaller, so they will not show the full 128 Mil bitmap as I understand it.

On small sights it will also change if you move your head closer, Now no mater where you head is, the bitmap will be 128 mills.