Author Topic: How many other people are haveing stall issues since new update?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: How many other people are haveing stall issues since new update?
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2010, 12:27:55 AM »

In my opinion, flying with 0 engine sound is incredibly gamey, far more gamey than vulching or cherry picking. So I see the change as a good thing.

+1
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2010, 12:45:40 AM »
In my opinion, flying with 0 engine sound is incredibly gamey, far more gamey than vulching or cherry picking. So I see the change as a good thing.

I agree, about a year an a half ago I changed my sound files to represent what you'd actually hear in a WW2 plane. So these sound changes have had very little impact for me, but I do see a few more planes flopping around then usual.

The reality is only a few big planes had stall horns if any (only exception I know of is the stall light on the late F4U's), and it's near impossible to hear flaps or gear over the engine. You "feel" them way more than you could hear them anyway, so the game having them very low makes up for the lack of feel in my opinion.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
In my case the update reset my stick scaling settings; first time that's ever happened.  That could cause the plane to feel different and perhaps stall easier?  Easy to set back (well, would have been if I could remember what they looked like; senility is not pretty).

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
I stalled in a Spit 16 lol. Didn't know that was possible.

Only cause you need the training wheels :)
Strokes

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
+ 1
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »

maybe so but it helped with vox communication ect.  I don't have a problem with the new version I did however liked peace and quit but I'll get use to it.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »
Everyone is different! :)

But do you not find that having no engine sound made flying harder? Alot of audio clues you're losing  concerning throttle work.
Where it might give an advantage in SA, surely it give an disadvantage in other aspects. Aslo surely it doesnt give the same immersion as flying round in a noisey machine?

Can you explain what it is like flying with no engine sound for you?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2010, 11:46:29 PM »
sure I could hear the other planes engine very well and I flew off the sound of his engine a lot on overshoots and postion.  As far as my plane is concerned I watched the speed so I knew when flaps could come out and watched the rpm for wep on/off,throttle.  I could hear my flaps very well and stall horn as well.  It let me fly on the edge pretty well.  I don't recall how long it took me to get use to it but I've flown that way for over a year.  What took so long was just hearing the eny engine and determine his speed and direction of travel could all be done just by the sound. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:49:25 PM by TnDep »
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »

QFT
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2010, 11:50:50 PM »
I don't know how guys can fly without hearing the engine, but regardless this update hasn't eliminated that unfortunately.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2010, 12:46:57 AM »
Like TnDep, I have not data other than many hours of practical experience to support my claim that the point of departure is much more sudden now.  Perhaps it is sound related, perhaps not, but the fact is.... it is/was occurring.  For me, it is happening less and less now.  Primarily because "I" am adjusting.

CH Gear btw

P.S. So besides determining what I/we can and can't say politically in game, are we now telling others what they can or can't feel in game?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2010, 12:54:35 AM »
Dear Bat,
Certainly using 0 engine sound as a way of having a "sixth sense" for detecting attackers is gamey IMO. That is why I always thought your engine sound and external engine sounds should be on the same slider. I never turned my engine sounds down very far, because without engine sounds I'd do things like leave the WEP plugged in when I meant to turn it off, etc.

But now, I'm sorry, the engine sounds are so oppressively loud that I either turn it down to where I can't hear many other effects or get a headache. I DON'T think having flap sounds you can hear is gamey...in a real plane you'd have a handle under your hand with which you could keep tabs on flap position. Now, if your plane has a clear flaps indicator dead center of the panel like an P-plane or German plane, makes little difference anyway. But some planes have far more subtle flaps position indicators.

EDIT: BTW Bat, I see you can STILL turn down sound effects all the way and leave external sounds all the way up for that gamey effect we were discussing...Gahhh! Frustration!

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2010, 01:16:33 AM »
Oh I'm not arguing about the volume sliders, sorry, it was an offtopic hijack discussing specifically no engine sounds with Dep.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2010, 02:52:47 AM »
Interesting comments about both the "stall issues" and the "0 engine sounds gaminess".

Since I have been experimenting with the internal engine sounds, so that I can be more aware of my environment, I wanted to add my two cents (or senses).  :D

First, without tweaking (leaving default sounds) I almost never hear an external engine.  So, ask yourself this question, is that realistic?  I only have my highway experiences to relate to.  The noise generated from cars mostly comes from the exhaust, located behind.  At certain revs, the engine pitch does change and I can hear the cars engine.  Regardless of what my car is doing, I can most certainly hear other cars in my vicinity, some more and some less.

Off topic a bit, but when I rode in California, motorcycles were allowed to split traffic lanes.  During that time I had some serious Harley envy.  There was never a doubt when a Harley was about to slip in behind you or was near even if it was in your blind spot.  I used this audible cue to make sure the rider had room and to check to see where he was and be on the look out.

So, as loud as you think your plane engine should sound, the human ear would detect other external engine sounds.  Since there is no red icon flashing on your windscreen telling you the distance of an unseen aircraft, the correct gaming aspect would be to make the sound grab your attention at the appropriate distance.

Second, as for stall issues, I changed my buffet sound to an engine sputtering sound.  It doesn't sound like I am in the rinse cycle in an old washing machine, and psychologically signals loss of power.  I will experiment to see whether or not I should consider making this my warning buzzer, because I believe that might be where some of the problems in recognizing audio cues in time may be the culprit.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2010, 03:14:02 AM »
It's so bad I'm done flying until it's fixed - can't fly aggressive it goes into a snap roll instantly

hate the sound system to can't even hear bullets hitting my plane

I was wondering why i had issues flying and suddenly stalling.  I feel so out of place that i have a tough time try to flight and the new sound system make it really difficult. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group