Author Topic: Rookie Pilot Seeking Help  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
Re: Rookie Pilot Seeking Help
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2011, 05:21:21 PM »
Oh, I didn't read where he said that!  My apologies!

It's ok, thanks for at least trying to help out. I tend to learn pretty quickly and like FLS said, I do my research, but I think it's between the P38, 190D9, and 109K. Like I said, the only thing I don't like about the P38 is that you can't really run from a fight that is going bad and you can't chase down people that are running (which is 90% of the people in MA). A lot of times people will just BnZ one or two times or HO one or two times than simply dive to the deck and run back home.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
Mir knows a lot more about flying the P-38 then I do so if you get a chance you'd be lucky to fly with him.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »
It's ok, thanks for at least trying to help out. I tend to learn pretty quickly and like FLS said, I do my research, but I think it's between the P38, 190D9, and 109K. Like I said, the only thing I don't like about the P38 is that you can't really run from a fight that is going bad and you can't chase down people that are running (which is 90% of the people in MA). A lot of times people will just BnZ one or two times or HO one or two times than simply dive to the deck and run back home.

The runners can be frustrating, but only if you allow them to frustrate you.  One trick in a P38 is to get them to fight your fight.  Play opossum, give up your six, make them turn with you.  Use their speed against them.

Another thing, which comes with some time, is learning who you're fighting.  What squad is in that area.  Some will just run.  Some will fight.  You'll eventually find that there are a lot of folks who will turn their 51's, 190's, 205's, 47's, etc. with you and give you a really good fight, and not just resort to BnZ tactics.  

Unfortunately, it sounds like you've been experiencing the runners more than the fighters, and you have two options:  get into a plane that can chase them down or find another area and see if you'll get some people looking to fight.

The P38 is certainly no dragster, so getting out of trouble can be tough, but it's got some top end once moving.  

Btw, besides those planes you listed, have you tried the 190A5?  That's a really fun plane to fight and get down and dirty in.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
People keep saying that the p38 is a good bnz but I don't see how, it has no boom since it compresses so fast. Anyone willing to set up a time to help me out? Oh and here's another film, obviously my gunnery sucks, but I wanna know how I could've survived at the end.

Clicky

Wow you catch on quick.  You already know what a BnZ is and know what compressing is I certainly had no idea of what either BnZ or TnB was when I first started.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2011, 06:44:09 PM »
The runners can be frustrating, but only if you allow them to frustrate you.  One trick in a P38 is to get them to fight your fight.  Play opossum, give up your six, make them turn with you.  Use their speed against them.

Another thing, which comes with some time, is learning who you're fighting.  What squad is in that area.  Some will just run.  Some will fight.  You'll eventually find that there are a lot of folks who will turn their 51's, 190's, 205's, 47's, etc. with you and give you a really good fight, and not just resort to BnZ tactics.  

Unfortunately, it sounds like you've been experiencing the runners more than the fighters, and you have two options:  get into a plane that can chase them down or find another area and see if you'll get some people looking to fight.

The P38 is certainly no dragster, so getting out of trouble can be tough, but it's got some top end once moving.  

Btw, besides those planes you listed, have you tried the 190A5?  That's a really fun plane to fight and get down and dirty in.

What does the 190A5 do well? Looking at the stats it seems like it's very similar to the P38 and inferior to the 109K in every way.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
The A5 is fast, has good guns, is nimble, rolls incredibly well, can turn decently, and in the right hands, can put up a nice fight versus much better turn fighters.

I think one problem may be that you're comparing performance statistics on a webpage as a method to determine how the AH2 planes can fight.  There's much more than what the charts state when it comes to the fighting.

For example, the P38 and A5 are really nothing alike, even if stats say so.  Sure, they can be flown in a similar manner, especially at medium to faster speeds, but slow, they're really different in how they handle.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
I'm noticing that I can land 2-3 kill missions regularly with the 190D, but very rarely will I even get 2 kills, much less land them in the P38. Being able to do very quick scissors in the 190D makes it incredibly hard for people to kill me if I mess up. Plus I can run away and chase down runners. In the P38 if I mess up, I'm dead, it rolls like a boat and isn't fast enough to run away. I dunno, I also seem to have better gunnery in the 190D and it seems to be way more lethal. I really want to fly the P38 but I suck so bad at it that it makes me angry and switch planes or just quit the game altogether and go do something else.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »
I tried out the mossie and holy crap I love the guns. They're like the P38 but things actually die instead of just get plinked. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the mossie compared to the P38?