Author Topic: Pilot and Co-Pilot are incompacitated....  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Re: Pilot and Co-Pilot are incompacitated....
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
I think virtually all commercial airliner jets have them.

Auto pilot and Autoland capability are quite different.

"Virtually all" is more like "a small percentage" of airliners have an autoland capability. Even if it the jet is capable the airline may not spec them out with those functions available due to both the increased acquisition cost and increased ongoing maintenance costs. Heck my former company didn't have a cost/benefit to going CAT II and training 2400 pilots on the systems they might use twice a year.

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
I want an AH guy to auger in while inverted, stalling, on fire and bleeding.  At least Ill go out with a smile on my face.

Edit:  Of course I couldnt be the guy, because I would be too busy with every woman on the plane.   :devil
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:20:46 AM by helbent »
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
I want an AH guy to auger in while inverted, stalling, on fire and bleeding.  At least Ill go out with a smile on my face.

If such things make you happy then feel free to look though the list of NTSB reports. I'm sure at least one of those people that died played AH at one point.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »
Well, I geuss I got put in my place.  I feel so ashamed of myself over this make believe scenario.  Please accept my most heartfelt apologies, NOT.

You are an idiot MF
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
:rofl case in point eh?  I ll go ahead and call BS on the story that you waited there to witness several people give him money and that then you went up to him to offer him a job.   :rofl  wow, people are walking into my office to see what was so funny  :rofl  Every single person I ever had this argument with comes up with the same BS story  :lol

In any case, your funny story does not prove anything.  As I said, some are lazy some are not and wish they had the opportunities we did. 

PS.  Read the book "Fooled by randomness".  It is a short story of a trader. 

I was in line in traffic and your just wrong. I have done that more than once and none of the lazy turds come for a job... not one. They make tax free money from folks like you just giving it to them under a bridge. So while I am trying to get him off freeloading your steadily contributing to the freeloaders.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
Well, I geuss I got put in my place.  I feel so ashamed of myself over this make believe scenario.  Please accept my most heartfelt apologies, NOT.

You are an idiot MF

I know what you think about me, you know what I think about you so lets keep the names to yourself.

No normal person would say what you did. But what ever makes you happy. :)
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »

Edit:  Of course I couldnt be the guy, because I would be too busy with every woman on the plane.   :devil

"This could be the last chance I have to touch a woman, and you a man."
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
Ah yes, name calling.  Always good way to show your intellect and get your point across.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »
Ah yes, name calling.  Always good way to show your intellect and get your point across.

You you.... you umm gentleman.  There  :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
Microsoft, I think it would be nice if they had a prior working knowledge of the flight computer so that instead of being talked down by the tower they could just do the same flight procedures a pilot would, minus the aircraft handling experience.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
Couple guys come to mind that would have little issue with this
* Golfer - since he's a Collins Primus baby and the FMS is of the same lineage on most main liners.
* Colombo since he drives big iron and used to drive a B-24 for a living
* Machfly because, well - I've taught him so he can.
* mySelf because I'm awesome
* Frenchy because the guy has a pair that drags and he could fly himself out of a Turkish potatohouse with 4 inches of ice on his wings, no AP, no GPS, a 1/2 working radio and still do a cat. III approach to an icy runway with nil breaking in a VW microbus with wings.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »
* Machfly because, well - I've taught him so he can.

:banana:
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

shut it stoopit  :neener:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline spammer

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
What a strange question. I would have to look the person in the eye regardless of his simulator training before I'd cast a vote on who lands the aircraft. I would want to be in the cockpit the entire time watching and listening. If I heard Golfers voice on the other end of the radio? my fear factor would decrease by 80%.(I'd feel like we had a chance, if we would only shut up and listen)

I would not ever want a computer in charge of taking off or landing, I want Golfer or Scully. I been stuck in holding patterns over Denver and Las Vegas due to the winds, I do not want a computer to land me. You start to run out of fuel and are forced to land, I swear the 737 was bobbing up and down 30 FT when we landed in Vegas, The pilot nailed it dead on. Upon landing I immediately ran to the Bar.

Let the computer fly from point A to point B. I want a qualified Pilot to take off and land.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »
Those computers are getting pretty darned good nowadays, and if they keep getting better I don't see why the pilot should be anything more than a backup.  The controls are already fly-by-wire, so if the computer breaks you're bagged either way.

-Penguin