Author Topic: Planes in LW vs. Respect  (Read 5637 times)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: Planes in LW vs. Respect
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
Respect is generally earned by how you fight rather than what you fight with. That being said, certain planes do allow you to make mistakes during an engagement and performance will allow you to escape where you would normally get creamed. If plane selection had no bearing on the outcome of virtual combat, there would be no ENY or perks.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »
A Spitfire Mk XVI will do better in a multi-plane dogfight than a P-40C will because it is more able to place itself where it needs to be and to capitalize on that placement.  A multi-plane engagement does not erase the advantages of the better performing aircraft.  While more opportunities are created in a multi-plane fight, a better performing aircraft will have more opportunities created than a poorer performing aircraft.

All that is true, but I can tell the difference between a ok pilot in a very good plane and a very good pilot in an ok plane.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
Sure in a 1v1 situation, one plane will do better in a dog fight than another... But that doesn't garner any respect. What I respect is a pilot who is willing to scrap and do so even if the odds are not favorable. And for that I don't care what plane they are in, its more about impressing me with their skills as a pilot.

Lol, my flights used to follow the same basic patern:

"Need help, bingo ammo and got a couple cons on me!"

hmmm..... 4v1.... in a 109F? Tally ho!

"Thanks for the help. Had litterally  no ammo left"

"No problem man!" crap, this was not the best decsion I've ever made
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
I think the point here is "comparison". If someone lands 2 kills in plane"X" and I regularly land 3-4 in plane"X" I don't have a lot of respect for his flying..... as compared to me. After all I suck and I can land more  :P

Basically with your experience in as many planes as you can fly here you compare everyone based on what you know of them. If you think plane "X" is a tough bird to fly and someone lands a bunch of kills in it then your respect for that player goes up a bit. You don't really think about the "how" so much.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »
Skill (Player A) x Performance (Plane A) vs Skill (Player B) x Performance (Plane B)  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Its probably closer to this, lusche:

Preformance (Plane A)^2 x ( 2xSkill (Player A)/3)^3 vs Preformance (Plane B)^2 x (2xSkill (Player B)/3)^3.

It seems that at low skill levels, preformance is by far the determining factor. But at high skill levels, the factor that skill plays into a fight increases far faster than preformance, due to the power of 3 affecting skill.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »
Forgot to definiate integer it from 0 to sq. root 2 / 2
AoM
City of ice

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »
These math models are too optimistic... they should be modeling the lack of respect you get for being a toon pilot....

I'm thinking something like this...

"Hey baby, can I buy you a drink... oh and I'm an excellent cartoon ww2 pilot"

lack of respect == (number of kills total) / (number of hours played - number of hours played)
 :rofl
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:12 AM »
There are many ways to play and measure success in this game.

A 1 v1 duel is very different to MA play.  If you plan your sortie properly it is possible to have success in any plane.
Fight with your AC strengths and with discipline you can prevail. 

Personally I measure success by how much fun I've had.

If I can find a player who will mix it up and fight  = 100% FUN

Sure I like to win, though sometimes it's not much fun.
I get shot down in the thousands but try and learn.

Finally in a knife fight you get to shoot down the Bastage who has been tormenting you. = FUN  FUN  FUN

The cherry on top is a PM whine from the defeated girl.

=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
     I don't get people who worry about opponents respecting you or not.  It's not like Mr Winky gets smaller if you lose.  In over a decade of
playing AH, HTC has never once run out of new aircraft either  :lol
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
     I don't get people who worry about opponents respecting you or not.  It's not like Mr Winky gets smaller if you lose.  In over a decade of
playing AH, HTC has never once run out of new aircraft either  :lol

It's like respecting Tom Brady. He's not a god or anything, but you respect him for his skill. He put in the time and effort to get to his skill level.

I think the same goes for this game. Twinboom, AckAck, Delirium are some of the players I respect in the 38. They are not gods or anything, but they put in the time and effort to get to their skill level.

There are planes in the list that many players call/think are easy mode. There isn't a lot of time and effort needed for those. It's like Brady and the "Pats" playing the whole season against high school teams. Sure they are going to go undefeated, but would you respect them?

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
Agreed.  If the speeds can stay above 300 TAS and above 20,000 feet the P47x is a tough nut to crack, especially the M and N.   

Hmmm?

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »
I respect "for lack of a better word" those who play each engagement to "WIN", Those who play "not to lose" are the average "unwashed" masses!

Anyone who is truly competitive knows the difference!

I think most in the upper tier would agree :aok

:salute

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »

Hmmm?

JUGgler

*sigh*    :rolleyes:

You know the routine.  I understand you're a fan/student/promoter of the P47 and I think ultimately we all are, but it does have its limitations but they seem to be more absolute than most other planes.  Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am and that the jug can hang with a Spit or Zeke in a turn fight, or climb with the 109's in a tight spiral, or roll with the 190's in a scissors.... go ahead.  Defeating a jug is easy: slow it down, get it to lower alts, and slit it's throat.   

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
These math models are too optimistic... they should be modeling the lack of respect you get for being a toon pilot....

I'm thinking something like this...

"Hey baby, can I buy you a drink... oh and I'm an excellent cartoon ww2 pilot"

lack of respect == (number of kills total) / (number of hours played - number of hours played)
 :rofl

Did you know the limit of that equation is potentially 1? I mean it all depends on how you look at the concept of 0/0.

It makes sense that you seperate a quantity of 0 into no groups (0 groups). That and by definition, any number divided by itself is 1.

So if you create an account, but don't play, you're starting out with a respect level of 1. 0 kills / (0 hrs played - 0 hrs played).