Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 9603 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »
Has anyone considered that HTC may not want huge numbers of players?

Anyone considered it is none of our business? :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2014, 02:27:24 AM »
Combat in WoW, Runescape and Eve Online isn't "real time", it's basically a soft turned based combat system, also known as a "tick based combat system".  

Ah yes, the typical ack-ack deflection, fact spinning maneuver.

So in other words, instead of a millisecond of action/render/reaction, they use a one second action/render/reaction. Or whatever insignificant number they actually use.

Why don't you just tell the truth, NONE of them are literally real time. And don't forget to clarify that those games are NOT turn based at all.

It would help if you understood what real time combat is and what turned based (or tick based combat) is and the differences between the two.  

I understand well enough that you are nit picking fractions of a second.

For example, in a MMO with a real combat system, if an archer was to fire an arrow at you, you could move and avoid it.  In a turn based combat system, hits and misses are determined by 'rolls' and you wouldn't be able to jump out of the way of an arrow to avoid it.  Whether or not the arrow hits you is up the the "roll".

Real time combat is also referred to as 'twitch combat'.

Again with your pathetic fact twisting.  You keep throwing in BS about turn based games to confuse those who can't see through you. Those games are not really turn based. Players don't stop and wait for other players to roll dice or pick somewhere to go. They fight and react as fast as they can input commands.

For all intents and purposes it is real time.

Eve Online made news not because of it's combat system but because of the sheer size and cost of the battle.

A REAL TIME <---- (was it not?) video game battle made national, and probably international, televised news. It was the biggest gaming news in history and you are missing the point or deflecting in an attempt to salvage a lost argument.

It is a real time game and combat which you stated could not be compared to AH simply because the vehicles used to fight and the environment is a fantasy world instead of ww2 combat.

They use vehicles of various types and capabilities.
AH uses vehicles of various types and capabilities.

They have combat.
We have combat.

They wander freely in a persistent game environment and do what they please and when they please.
AH players wander freely in a persistent game environment and do what and when they please.

They join player organized activities.
We join player organized activities.

They pretend to be spaceship captains of the future.
We pretend to be airplane captains of the past.

They have idiots.
We have you and wiley.

The main difference between the three MMORPGs you listed is that they are a different genre of MMOs than AH is and aren't really a good comparison to make against MMOs like AH.

You must not be at the top of the gaming industry ladder. Let me explain it to you. Every game, every fictional book, every legend and every movie has a story to tell.

There is a hero, in video game terminology that's the player in case you don't get it.

There is the quest, that's the object of the game along with all of the experiences the hero encounters in his journey, no matter how specific or vague that object is.

And there is a battle no matter if it's words, swords, magic or bullets.

They are all the same at the heart of it.

The point that you are clearly unable to understand is that if AH chose to, it could be something much more than just a simple flight game. It could add an economic and resource aspect to the game that affects the war. It could add a generic population which is affected by extended sieges, which affects morale, which affects weapon production... There could be technology trees, and on and on and on.

If any game company chose to they could create a nearly identical game to EvE accept in a ww2 environment. A game where players built economies, war production capabilities and controlled countries instead of zones of space and building space ships.

But I'm not suggesting any of that. This is a flight sim at its core, but there are still far more simple aspects that could be added to increase the complexity and appeal of this game specifically to enrich the air war and ground war.

I already explained what kind of combat systems they have, so I won't repeat myself again.

Good because your explanation was a pathetic twisting of facts.

With your reply, it's obvious that you really don't know what you're speaking about when it comes to MMOs.  Open world/sandbox games give you the freedom to do what you want, play how you want, progress how you want, etc.  In an open world/sandbox MMO, the developers basically threw you the tools and said, "Here, do what you want and have fun".

Hmm, so you're saying that I can't log on to runescape, wow or EvE and do what I want at my own pace?

Just more of your fact twisting BS. Let's prove it shall we.

WoW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEvW64bTeBk

Runescape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG95PsYVb7M

EvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEFRFiRLrPQ

Let me expose the facts that you are trying twist.

Every one of those games lets you take off into the game and go just about anywhere and do anything you want to do. You don't have to battle anyone, you can run at the first sight of a fight or you can join a horde and gang up on weaker opponents.

In an open world/sandbox MMO, the developers basically threw you the tools and said, "Here, do what you want and have fun".

You are also suggesting that AH lets you enter the game and do or have anything you want. Not true at all is it? We have perk restrictions on certain aircraft and we have score restrictions on CVs.

A Theme Park MMO is one that guides you through the progression of the game, from starting level to end game.  The developers control the experience, from the first time you log in and create a new character and every time after, until you reach the level cap.  

Again more ignorant BS.  No one forces players in those games to do anything. Players work for higher levels for personal glory the same as players in AH play for score.

A player who joined WoW because he liked to fight with swords or potions isn't forced by the game developers to gain levels, he gains them simply as a result of playing just like we gain score and perks.

Just because the developer creates challenges or tasks that result in rewards that make the players journey easier doesn't mean he is forced to do anything.

And btw, AH took some pages out of that book too. "Achievements." We don't get any rewards other than recognition, but it is the same concept. But more importantly, perks. We are "forced" as you put it to fly high eny planes to gain more perks faster so we can afford perk planes.

We practice and dogfight to see who is top gun or we join hordes to win wars. They practice and sword fight to see who can be the most powerful warriors or wizards or join clans to win wars.

An example of an open world/sandbox game

blah blah blah. FACE REALITY, they are the same. They have different weapons, different clothes, different universes and different rules, but they are the same.

I'm done with your retarded semantics.

And Muzik, I do not need to go heeled to get the bulge on a tub like you.

Wiley. I forgot you were there.

Is that a fact? I said throw down boy. You don't impress me cuz you recognized that. I wanna hear your own argument.

If ack acks argument is all you got, it just got shot full of holes. Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed?
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2014, 05:05:27 AM »
Muzik chill out.  AKAK actually works games for a living.  What do you do?  Not a diss.  Just reality check.  Argue the facts, not the person.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 05:05:51 AM »
It's clear from your reply that you don't understand at all what I posted.  I'm not surprised, unlike me, you don't have any experience working in the gaming industry, specifically on MMO games.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2014, 05:27:37 AM »
And don't forget to clarify that those games are NOT turn based at all.

Actually, yes they are.  In WoW you have a weapon speed, the weapon speed determines how many attacks per round you get....etc, etc.

Think of it like the way Baldur's Gate turned turn based AD&D combat into something that looked like it was real time.....but isn't.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2014, 06:17:14 AM »
Actually, yes they are.  In WoW you have a weapon speed, the weapon speed determines how many attacks per round you get....etc, etc.

Think of it like the way Baldur's Gate turned turn based AD&D combat into something that looked like it was real time.....but isn't.

So because mk30 fires at a slower rate compared to mgs, AH is also turn based. If players can act and counter act during the attack, it's not turn based anymore.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:23:17 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »

Surely, you can't be serious?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
So because mk30 fires at a slower rate compared to mgs, AH is also turn based. If players can act and counter act during the attack, it's not turn based anymore.

AKAK is right about WoW being a tick based game.

WoW uses what is called a GCD (Global Cool Down). A GCD puts a limit on how many actions a player can perform in any given tick. That being said, I still consider WoW to be much closer to real time based than turn based. In WoW, movement is done in real time and is a massive component to their combat system.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:36:34 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2014, 08:47:05 AM »

Don't call him "Surely"  :devil

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »
HTC seem to be doing pretty well for themselves and with only a staff of half a dozen people. I don't recon they're looking for ways to spend more time at work than they already do if they don't have to. Aces High is practically a mom and pop business, I don't see that changing anytime soon. And I'm thankful for that.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »
HTC seem to be doing pretty well for themselves and with only a staff of half a dozen people. I don't recon they're looking for ways to spend more time at work than they already do if they don't have to. Aces High is practically a mom and pop business, I don't see that changing anytime soon. And I'm thankful for that.

That's "size of the company" not "number of players" ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
Muzik and Ripley, if you can't see the fundamental difference between tick based combat and physics based twitch combat, and feel the need to argue that they're the same, I don't know what to tell you.  I'm not particularly interested in your forthcoming explanation that it's all the same because instructions can only go through the CPU sequentially.

I'm glad they gave you back your computer privileges, Muzik.  You may go now.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »

What Kazaa said.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,345408.msg4560625.html#msg4560625

"ABSOLUTLY NOT TRUE, Small as in number of employes. not Small as in size of player base.

HiTech"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2014, 10:02:42 AM »
I think that if HTC gets its new version out by summer, or at least a playable beta, they will be catching the tide perfectly so far as War Thunder simulation players go.  With the proper advertising campaign, or even just a solid product and word of mouth/internet/etc spreading the word, even a tiny fraction of those 400,000 simulation players could end up over here.  Imagine going from 2000 or so players in the scoring database to 10,000 in a few months time.  Numbers greater than the old Titanic Tuesdays, say closing in on the 1000 online players or so could be in the future should everything work out well.  I truly believe that, as I remember the days in the late 99 early 2000 when there were 500 players around this game in its infancy.  

I'm sure HTC would really, and I mean REALLY take off if that kind of revenue came pouring in - the ability to hire and support some extra hands to help out with the time consuming and difficult tasks such as aircraft/vehicle creation and all that - I believe it's possible, and certainly a better case scenario with where the company here could go.  I'm sure there are many others that feel this way, and honestly that's what has kept me around waiting for the last few years, and it looks now to be more and more plausible.  Only a fraction of a percentage point of the players over at WT who likely haven't even heard of this game yet, would be needed to migrate over here to greener pastures, and it can easily happen.  I'm sure Ack Ack due to the nature of his job (gaming intelligence etc) could give dozens of examples of this type of thing happening out there.