Author Topic: to ho or not to ho  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: to ho or not to ho
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
Or it might show that they are getting really freaking tired of climbing to alt ~8mins flying to target ~3-5 only to be downed by a HO, repeat that once or twice and boom, customer lost. Even some of the long time heroes are sick of it and the new AH attitude of kill/score is the most important thing.

Skill is to be admired; k/d and gamey maneuver don't mean caca. 

I see you speak of it quite a bit yourself.

I've always enjoyed the fights with this guy and Tongs.  Always.  Lotsa respect fellas.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
Some advice,

Basically, you can avoid their HO and gain the advantage by performing this trick.

Study this, Know this, Live this.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
Study this, Know this, Live this.

(Image removed from quote.)

:headscratch:

Um... Playing with plastic airplanes?   :confused:

:D

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »
or should i forget what i have been told and just play cutthroat because it sure is getting frustrating.

Do whatever pleases you.  As this thread once again demonstrates, some people get the most enjoyment out of building their kill scores, while others live for the thrill of an extended fight, regardless of who wins.  There is no "right way."  If you find yourself defining a head-on so narrowly that you can justify virtually any front-quarter shot; if you start reciting examples of real WWII pilots taking head-on shots; if you wake up in the middle of the night screaming "It's MY $14.95;" then these may be signs you are in the first group.  Nothing wrong with that at all, and you can enjoy a long AH career having fun that way.  Simply ignore the raised eyebrows, contemptuous stares or other signs of scorn from the second group, and all will be well.

- oldman

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
hmmm, how to answer this question.

It depends on the bird I'm in and the situation I've put myself in for me to make the decision to avoid, pretend to avoid, go guns blazing or give a feint with some pepper to fool.

Bottom line is you need to make the decision for yourself and all situations are different, in one instance may not apply to another.

Agreed. I fly a mossy in probably about 95% of sorties but won't HO unless either hoed upon first or out numbered with some dude all over my 6 while some other dweeb is repeatedly trying to set up HO shots. I much prefer to angle for a lead shot in a turn or just plain old bnz. But try HO me you bet I'll fill your face with cannon rounds.

:salute Beer  :cheers:
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
I say HO away. Never mind that 99.9% of the people who cry about it can't tell the difference between an actual head-on (mutually-assured destruction) vs. a front-quarter shot (shooting someone from the front, but without risk of them being able to hit you due to their angle); rather, HO'ing brings out your opponent's true character and deepest emotions. It shows the difference between those that play to have fun and those that have some sort of deep-seated emotional investment tied to their losses.

For example, this past Saturday there was a rather poor P-47 pilot who came at me from below. Knowing his speed was too high, I pointed my nose inside of his projected flight path and waited. He pulled into me, allowing for a clean shot to the inboard side of his nose/wing root. Never mind that he didn't have a shot, or that he was being chased by numerous other aircraft, a Fugitive from justice as it were, and would have certainly died; no, he decided to spend the next 5 minutes raging on 200 about a "HO," as if that somehow validated his choices post-death.

I say HO to your heart's content and never look back!

Spoken like a true mediocre cartoon pilot. A true giant.....in his own mind. Yes the future of this game is truely assured.  :rolleyes:

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »
Spoken like a true mediocre cartoon pilot. A true giant.....in his own mind. Yes the future of this game is truely assured.  :rolleyes:

Spoken like one killed by a mediocre cartoon pilot... on a regular basis.  :lol
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 09:54:52 PM »
My thoughts on HOing,

It's a viable shot, but highly risky as your opponent can shoot you just as easily as you can shoot him. If I'm in a Mossi and a zeke wants to HO me then I'll answer his call with 4 303s and 4 20mm hispanos.  :devil My mossi can take more punishment, my mossi have more and better guns, the guns are all in the nose as well while his cannons are wing mounted. Everything is in my advantage. If he wants to play to my strengths then that's his mistake. Besides, the Ho shot is without a doubt the easiest shot to avoid in all of aerial combat. The closure rate is so high that any maneuver in any direction makes the shot almost impossible to make. That's all you have to do to avoid a HO shot, turn in any direction. If you died from a HO shot then it's really your own mistake. Either you didn't even try to avoid it, or you failed to keep your SA up and didn't see the other guy coming in.

Also, going for the Ho shot gives up the first turn advantage. If you see your opponent going for the HO shot then you can make your first turn much sooner than him and be on his tail in 1 turn.

I always found the HO complaints on 200 kind of hilarious because I knew that they probably flew right into their opponents guns and thought "He won't shoot me". This is aerial combat! The objective is to shoot the other guy down!  ;)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
well now i have a few names to look out for .thanks .the people who do the hos  better watch out if i hear your name called. guess i will have to head to the T A to get some tips to avoid some of you. next time it will be ho ho ho merry xmas and dont forget the eggnog. for you folks who use your skills and work for your kills  i salute you. sure glad i started this topic now.
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »
Latrobe.

COME BACK we can duel in the DA! Mossy v mossy... Fight for fun, not cheap shot and running like many... Come on man help a brother out!
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
Can we do it in the MA? And bring friends? And do it every single day? Forever?  :D

:cheers:

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
Can we do it in the MA? And bring friends? And do it every single day? Forever?  :D

:cheers:

Mate would be more than happy to, you know me Latrobe always up for a fight!

<S> Beer
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »

So you've dueled Skyyr multiple times and triumphed?

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 11:14:54 PM »
HOing is just stupid, straight out, dumbest thing you can do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Please HO me. I'll show you just how fast that will put you in a disadvantge. It's a desperate tactic for newbs and good players will easily capitalize on you
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
I forget who his butt buddy is but I am sure they both will learn in time that the whole chest thumping doesn't work around here until you can back it up.  ;)
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.