Author Topic: time to neuter engine off/on ?  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: time to neuter engine off/on ?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »
Gotta love all the irl pilots and WWII pilots in this thread.  :noid

:old:

:confused:

:huh

:uhoh

:bolt:
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »
I have never read about any incident where WWII pilot purposely cut power to his crate's engine to gain an ACM advantage in combat.  Can anyone provide such an example?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
I have never read about any incident where WWII pilot purposely cut power to his crate's engine to gain an ACM advantage in combat.  Can anyone provide such an example?
Same here, but i have done loops, split-S, snaprolls and hammerheads engine off in 150 aerobat. Just mixture off and eng goes on when push mixture back :devil
Good old times :D

Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 02:53:14 PM »
Same here, but i have done loops, split-S, snaprolls and hammerheads engine off in 150 aerobat. Just mixture off and eng goes on when push mixture back :devil
Good old times :D

Which unit were you assigned to? :D
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
Heh, i put this to language barrier;-) I have never heard what you asked, but flying engine off and "even going vertical maneuvering " is about "easy" if you know what you are doing :D

Greeting from Lapland :D
Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »

No such example exists.  We also don't know how long it took Brig. Gen. Robin Olds to restart his laboring Lockheed.  We're lead to believe it was at least several seconds after he confirmed the 109 going down.  

None of that matters though.  I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "If it was done once by some dude somewhere, it was meant to be done repeatedly by everyone".  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »
From a WW2 fighter plane engine perspective, that period's technology.

Is there a difference in the engine shutting down by running out of fuel first, then the pilot restarting it after switching to a tank with fuel. Versus, killing the engine in flight?

My father before he died was a commercial multi engine pilot and instructor. He was working on his commercial jet ticket in his 60's when he got a pace maker and grounded. For a while he flew Beach 18 for Mountain Air out of BWI. I got right seat ride alongs with him when I was home from college. During one of them he had to practice killing one engine and recovering from that. There was no blip and it was turned off nor a blip and it turned back on. That was more possible in an L19, T-41, Voyager, 150, or 172 we used to fly out of Ft. Meade. And the Storch in our game. Single engine small craft engines and their management are not as complex as the fighter engines our game duplicates. Not every civilian pilot will ever move up the food chain to multi engine, commercial, or high performance. So a certain amount of simplicity is inherit to the class of aircraft.

If you are that worried about the other guy turning of his engine, turn up your sound for his engine to 100% and use zoom to watch his prop blades. But, our instantaneous blipping off and on of high performance engines. Slightly gamey.

This post is not the way to get this changed. And being in the game, it's just one more tool in the kit to help newer players while the more clever greif each other with it. I would say an unintended consequence from the game's ease of playability balancing act.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
You must have quite a set of lungs, Mr. Pipz  :salute

:P

:rofl  :cheers:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
It is not in any way complicated in most real planes. I've done it in real life while inverted before (was on wrong tank). I would also bet on long missions it was the norm for most pilots to have the engine stop producing power after a tank goes dry.

HiTech

I second Hitech, the difference is only on how long the engine is off. We used to run the fuel tanks dry flying the 402s. The engine sputters, sometimes stops and restarts by itself when you switch tanks as long as you do it right away. If you allow the prop to stop for too long, the fuel will vapor lock and it will be a &^%$# to restart. As Skyrr mentioned, crank it with the starter and play around with the mixture ... the longer u wait the harder to start and the more damage you do with shock cooling.

On a turbo prop like the Metroliner (direct turbine) you just hit start switch. If the prop is feathered you hold the 'electric unfeather' till you get some rotation and hit the start switch. The longer you wait, the cooler the engine gets and the harder it is to restart. On my Pitatus (free turbine) you look at the gas turbine speed. Over 75% hit continuous ignition, under 75% hit 'starter'.

Anyway I'm pretty sure the OP relates to a flaw/limitation in the flight modeling where props have way too much torque at idle making the plane do weird stuffs. To counter that and make clean hammerheads for example, some shut the engine off.

Here, see the difference : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586lFSpIxsw
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 09:18:43 PM »
If they want to cut their engine. Let them cut their engine. Doesnt matter to me. In fact I welcome it as it more easily tells me what they are doing.

Start looking at it from that perspective and it wont matter to you either
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2014, 04:18:53 AM »
At the top of a loop to get it around enough to shoot "front qtr panel"....
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2014, 05:31:23 AM »
On a constant speed prop, when power is cut, what does the prop do?
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2014, 08:18:02 AM »

That has no relevance to the game. You must ask what does it do in game. :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »

Attempts to maintain the set RPM until oil pressure is lost, then most props go to the "high rpm" angle.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"