Author Topic: "Resupping is more effective than upping a tank or plane to defend"  (Read 15877 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: "Resupping is more effective than upping a tank or plane to defend"
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't AH 3 have this accommodation?

With the new TE It should be easier to churn out some more maps with closer fields and sensible spawns.   I like the Fighter/Bomber icons for enemy contacts so that you can react quicker from the tower rather than waiting for a visual and then being to late for intercept and crying about it. 

For example a Bish horde Mission enters your dar and you see 2x sets of buffs and fighters you know they mean business and react accordingly.   Whereas the normal would be ALERT base XXX  do nothing or grab an m3 / bury head in sand.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
I don't come here to whine, quite honestly that would be a waste of time.  I have friends that play this game, and have had some really good times over the years.  I find lateley that myself and others are simply logging off due to a lack of action.  I am just simply putting so information out there because I care about the well being of the game.  I KNOW for a fact that I have went heavy to a base with a country mate or squad mate almost daily.  I KNOW that nobody ups to defend the base, they sit in manned guns or run resup m3s.  I KNOW this lack of combat causes me to log, as well as others.  I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what goes on in this game, playing for 16 years.  Back when i first started, I was probably playing a bit tooo much!  :D

Bruv makes a good point, maybe limiting the how much a single m3 can supply would be a good start?  Maybe it will just push more guys into M3's because one guy can do it alone anymore?  Who knows.  Hopefully we give it a shot in AH3.

Maybe large maps need to be pulled from rotation until the population increases again?

Maybe manned guns should count as GV kills?

Changes like this would have only bring a positive change to the game, unless you are a dedicated supply driver.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
I don't come here to whine, quite honestly that would be a waste of time.  I have friends that play this game, and have had some really good times over the years.  I find lateley that myself and others are simply logging off due to a lack of action.  I am just simply putting so information out there because I care about the well being of the game.  I KNOW for a fact that I have went heavy to a base with a country mate or squad mate almost daily.  I KNOW that nobody ups to defend the base, they sit in manned guns or run resup m3s.  I KNOW this lack of combat causes me to log, as well as others.  I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what goes on in this game, playing for 16 years.  Back when i first started, I was probably playing a bit tooo much!  :D

Bruv makes a good point, maybe limiting the how much a single m3 can supply would be a good start?  Maybe it will just push more guys into M3's because one guy can do it alone anymore?  Who knows.  Hopefully we give it a shot in AH3.

Maybe large maps need to be pulled from rotation until the population increases again?

Maybe manned guns should count as GV kills?

Changes like this would have only bring a positive change to the game, unless you are a dedicated supply driver.

Maybe just reach out to other players and squads to log on and fight an air war with all the toys and settings as they are (emails, forum posts, etc.). Others have done it with a fair amount of success. The mind reading feature never worked and it takes more than just logging on now, it seems.  :cheers:

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »
  It's entirely possible to increase your fun factor by preparing your battlefield.  While declaring your intent to the enemy and screaming "full frontal assault" like Nolte in "The Thin Red Line" makes for awesome stories, it isn't exactly conducive to success.  Understandably, it would be nice if your squad's badassery was enough for the big win, but obviously it's not.  So you want to change the game?  C'mon!  Do the math.  You absolutely have ALL the tools necessary to clear a path to sweeping success.  A little bit of patience, a little bit of work and you'll find you already have what it takes to do the job.  :airplane:
You misunderstand, us upping and going to a field isn't about winning or losing...it's to engage the red guys. The resupply function gives an out so they can hide from an engagement but still keep the field for a time being.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 12:14:20 PM »
I'm not going to play the game your way, I'm going to play it my way and if the two meet great.

Ive heard this somewhere before
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
  It's entirely possible to increase your fun factor by preparing your battlefield.  While declaring your intent to the enemy and screaming "full frontal assault" like Nolte in "The Thin Red Line" makes for awesome stories, it isn't exactly conducive to success.  Understandably, it would be nice if your squad's badassery was enough for the big win, but obviously it's not.  So you want to change the game?  C'mon!  Do the math.  You absolutely have ALL the tools necessary to clear a path to sweeping success.  A little bit of patience, a little bit of work and you'll find you already have what it takes to do the job.  :airplane:

Yep.  Done right, you run only a very slight risk of having to engage an enemy aircraft and will be able to take bases nearly at will by debilitating the enemy to the point where they can't resist effectively.

Now that's fun gameplay.  :aok

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 12:17:03 PM »
You misunderstand, us upping and going to a field isn't about winning or losing...it's to engage the red guys.

Should read, "You misunderstand, us upping and going to a field isn't about winning or losing...it's to vulch the red guys.

You and lazer kin?   :rofl

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »
You misunderstand, us upping and going to a field isn't about winning or losing...it's to engage the red guys. The resupply function gives an out so they can hide from an engagement but still keep the field for a time being.

You seem to be projecting intent. While what you say is possible, it's just as possible that the players resupping the base tried to get others to help defend it but when they couldn't, rather than sacrifice themselves when outnumbered, they chose the option of devoting themselves to a rebuild.

You really can't climb into other player's minds. Which brings me back to how cross country telepathy fails. I know the intent to hit the field was broadcast on 200 (in hopes of stirring up a defense). It wouldn't have been the first time a ruse was used, in some players minds. Arrange your fun more in advance. Contact potential foes. Do it kinda like an event. 'We're gonna log on at XX:XX am/pm (east coast/central etc.) and meet you on the front lines where our two countries meet. If you wanna defend, pick a base or if you wanna invade, pick one of ours. Wanna fly historic? Pick some planes, we'll accommodate you and pick their historic counterparts.' I would be willing to bet a dollar that the only reason anyone logs then would be any reason OTHER than there not being a good fight.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:26:38 PM by Arlo »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »
Please stop comparing M3 resupply ops in game to Sustainment operations in WW2  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I'm laughing too hard at your ignorance on military Sustainment operations.

I'm honestly trying to get my head around why Bruv, Lazer and I think the same on this and everyone else is all for it and such. Honestly the only 2 things in my mind is people think the overall war is more important then the actual combat spawned from that war....or the others haven't played in awhile and have not experienced this defense tactic yet and are just posting to post.

Say what you want but the one thing for sure about Bruv, Lazer and I is that we all are looking for a fight....and this feature takes away from that....in a Combat simulator, something that takes away from combat is a bug right?
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »
You seem to be projecting intent. While what you say is possible, it's just as possible that the players resupping the base tried to get others to help defend it but when they couldn't, rather than sacrifice themselves when outnumbered, they chose the option of devoting themselves to a rebuild.

You really can't climb into other player's minds. Which brings me back to how cross country telepathy fails. I know the intent to hit the field was broadcast on 200 (in hopes of stirring up a defense). It wouldn't have been the first time a ruse was used, in some players minds. Arrange your fun more in advance. Contact potential foes. Do it kinda like an event. 'We're gonna log on at XX:XX am/pm (east coast/central etc.) and meet you on the front lines where our two countries meet. If you wanna defend, pick a base or if you wanna invade, pick one of ours. Wanna fly historic? Pick some planes, we'll accommodate you and pick their historic counterparts.' I would be willing to bet a dollar that the only reason anyone logs then would be any reason OTHER than there not being a good fight.
I agree there is a different mindset but I don't understand why you would pay $15 a month for that :aok

Should read, "You misunderstand, us upping and going to a field isn't about winning or losing...it's to vulch the red guys.

You and lazer kin?   :rofl

Randy actually did up at this base last night good for him, he did get wrecked though and don't try to say I was vulching I was deacking and you came toward me so I sat you down fast.

Randy1 you remember that 2v1 You and that other guy against me had the other day??? The one I have a video of??? You know the one where you get wrecked with all the advantages on your side???? You got to remember the one I'm talking about???
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 12:41:02 PM »
Please stop comparing M3 resupply ops in game to Sustainment operations in WW2  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I'm laughing too hard at your ignorance on military Sustainment operations.

I'm honestly trying to get my head around why Bruv, Lazer and I think the same on this and everyone else is all for it and such. Honestly the only 2 things in my mind is people think the overall war is more important then the actual combat spawned from that war....or the others haven't played in awhile and have not experienced this defense tactic yet and are just posting to post.

Say what you want but the one thing for sure about Bruv, Lazer and I is that we all are looking for a fight....and this feature takes away from that....in a Combat simulator, something that takes away from combat is a bug right?

If you're posting at me, you're still projecting. I gave you the best advice I could, you're not forced to take it anymore than you could force other players to play the way you wanted them to. Calling game design a bug was weird. I wish you the best. Good luck. I really want you to have fun and not post to the rest of us how much fun you're not having and it's all because the game is coded so badly.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 12:44:35 PM »
Randy actually did up at this base last night good for him, he did get wrecked though and don't try to say I was vulching I was deacking and you came toward me so I sat you down fast.

Randy1 you remember that 2v1 You and that other guy against me had the other day??? The one I have a video of??? You know the one where you get wrecked with all the advantages on your side???? You got to remember the one I'm talking about???

Seriously? Randy1 ups disadvantaged and does what you wanted and in the middle of a thread which you started that was designed to complain about the lack of such you do this?  :headscratch: C'mon!

I'm not getting sucked into this type of foolishness. Again, good luck.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:07:07 PM by Arlo »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »
You sir are totally off base here, Lazer is a long standing player and is always fighting the good fight. 

Why should a squad or team spend hours flying extra long distances just to pork a field (which is incredibly mind numbing, yet easy task) just so that some dweeb can't resupply his town.  I have to wholeheartedly agree with Junky and Lazer on this matter, it is killing combat 24/7 and even moreso off hours.   How can 2-3 guys go and pork as you suggest when they already have to bomb a town with <30 minute DT's, kill guns and cover defensive planes and gvs.  Before you say hit the strat that is another 90minute flight!!!

It is a simple fix really just remove the ability to magically resupply town buildings only.    That way you preserve the supply line aspect and remove what I find to be an un-realistic gimmick.   You didn't see Coventry or Dresden rebuilt in 10 minutes!

I have been in the situation many times and covered the spawn, the dweeb gives up after 1 or 2 tries and then grabs a bloody wirble to sit there and still not save his base and avoid upping an aircraft at all costs! 

Most of us haven't got the luxury to sit and play all day anymore and I believe this to be the biggest downfall AH has to overcome.  It needs to deliver action quicker and more consistently.

I don’t feel that I’m off base at all.  The OP and Lazer are upset with the way enemy forces have chosen to play the game.  They want to change the game rules because they want everyone to play the game the way that they feel it should be played, even though the game rules have been this way for a long time now.  The dueling arena was built for those that don’t have the time and want to jump right in for instant action.  Yet I’ve seldom seen more than 30 or so people using that arena ever.  Even less now with the numbers down.
I only play AH once a week, seldom do I venture on other than on my squad night and only during prime time.  I know that from time to time I’ve seen Lazer flying as a Knight on some of those Saturday evenings during Prime time.  I’ve never in the last 20 years been on and not found a fight.    That is just my experience and I realize that it is not everyone’s experience. 
I think the OP and his buddies tried to capture a base and got bested by an enemy country that organized a defense to shut down the attack, good for them.  To come here and whine about and demand that the rules have to change is well, childish.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »
you nailed the main problem in your last sentence.   An "organised defence" in the past involved getting multiple planes or gvs out and shooting the opposition down and fighting over the territory, not rolling the M3 in the back and using it to magically rebuild an entire town with one or two boxes of building materials that required a good team effort or a Lanc pilot to get it white.

I don't think lazer or junky care whether they win or lose a battle it is what goes into it that matters and at the moment it isn't great.  Path of least resistance and all that.

I think alot of base taking has gone to ground and I don't have a problem with that because in most cases it is quicker for all involved but IMO AH is primarily a flying game.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »
I don’t feel that I’m off base at all.  The OP and Lazer are upset with the way enemy forces have chosen to play the game.  They want to change the game rules because they want everyone to play the game the way that they feel it should be played, even though the game rules have been this way for a long time now.  The dueling arena was built for those that don’t have the time and want to jump right in for instant action.  Yet I’ve seldom seen more than 30 or so people using that arena ever.  Even less now with the numbers down.
I only play AH once a week, seldom do I venture on other than on my squad night and only during prime time.  I know that from time to time I’ve seen Lazer flying as a Knight on some of those Saturday evenings during Prime time.  I’ve never in the last 20 years been on and not found a fight.    That is just my experience and I realize that it is not everyone’s experience. 
I think the OP and his buddies tried to capture a base and got bested by an enemy country that organized a defense to shut down the attack, good for them.  To come here and whine about and demand that the rules have to change is well, childish.

So you feel "virtual truck driver" being the best way to hold off a base take is a good idea for gameplay?  That's my main issue with it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11