Author Topic: FOV view Default  (Read 5239 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: FOV view Default
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
Randy,

This makes much more sense than all the other stuff we tossed at each other.

Sounds interesting, I wonder if changing the FoV from 93 to 106 with the zoom toggle is not something as easy as it looks for Hitech. As we know zoom, it is always below your current FoV and never changes your FoV higher. You could always research how zoom as a function in games really works, and see if some limitation exists to zoom changing the FoV above your current preset FoV.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2016, 12:56:08 AM »
If you adjust zoom with an analog control you can toggle it to any FOV you set.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:52 AM »
But you can never unzoom to a larger FOV that has to set in the Video Settings menu as Bustr has said. 

I think this is the contention of the entire discussion, or at least one side of the discussion.  By the way, the game looks and sounds great.  I truly enjoy the ability to save head tilt.   FLS did an awesome job making the defaults.

Maybe a how to tutorial right up front somehow, that warns new players or AH2 converts that FOV settings now begin at 80 and shows them how to increase it.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2016, 12:11:38 PM »
There would not be a need for a tutorial if the default was something that most players didn't need to change.

Why have a default that most don't like?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
Why have a default that most don't like?

I'd like to ask you who you refer to by saying "most"? I haven't seen a poll yet, although I might as well have missed it.

If you mean long time players, I've been registered almost a decade longer than you and I like it.
If you mean elderly people who are stuck with their routines, I'm 54 and stubborn as a mule. And I like the new FOV.
If you mean new players, they've already accustomed to this kind of FOV in other flight sims.

For quite a long time there has been threads about how this game needs an upgrade to be comparable with other flying sim games. Now that the graphics are getting on par with the others, it's not acceptable.

As Marilyn sang in an Irving Berlin tune:
After you get what you want, you don't want it
If I gave you the moon, you'd grow tired of it soon

You're like a baby
You want what you want when you want it
But after you are presented
With what you want, you're discontented

You're always wishing and wanting for something
When you get what you want
You don't want what you get
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »
I'm going off of the comments of those who immediately needed to change the fov, like me.

I've seen more comments from those who don't like it than those that do. You're right though biz, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

That said, the default POV is like looking through a toilet paper tube and this stubborn mule had to change it right away.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
---I've seen more comments from those who don't like it than those that do. You're right though biz, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.---

It takes ten good reviews to revise a bad one. Or ten positive opinions against a negative one. Why? Nine out of the ten keep silent...

In another way, if there's no complaints it's perfect. With an handful of complaints (proportionately) it's good enough.

Back to the subject, isn't it wonderful that we have the option to change the FOV rather easily?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »
It takes ten good reviews to revise a bad one. Or ten positive opinions against a negative one. Why? Nine out of the ten keep silent...

In another way, if there's no complaints it's perfect. With an handful of complaints (proportionately) it's good enough.

Back to the subject, isn't it wonderful that we have the option to change the FOV rather easily?

I used the zoom feature in this game for years.

I probably didnt figure out what field of view was until 2010.

The point is,  the game is difficult to learn that way it is,  not everything needs to be difficult.  Remember the upcoming generations also,  you want things to look good and function well right off the bat, otherwise ADD kicks in and they are down the road

Bizman,

I will dogfight you any day, you choose default FOV with no other aids like triple screen, TIR or VR headset and my preferred FOV.  Your skill level will remain the same but if I am able to make it past the first couple of merges, you would soon agree there is a "blind" aspect to default FOV.  Yeah, I know that all areas CAN BE covered with views, but what am I most likely to be doing in a dogfight, moving controls to maneuver into position or flipping through views to locate my target?

By the way, you can take a poll now on how many use default FOV.  "Start with me, even with TrackIR, I do NOT."  I do however, zoom in to increase the size of my target when I am in a reasonable six o'clock position.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »
 :airplane: Randy, I haven't read all the replies to  your post, but what I found to make it appear like my setup does in AH2, I switched to FOV of 106 and everything looked normal!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2016, 01:17:00 AM »
Chilli, your idea would be perfect if we were on the same skill level. However, my SA sucks and I can perform hardly any maneuvers correctly. A few monthly hours of playing keeps the learning curve flat.

Kotisivuni

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2016, 02:06:12 AM »
What in the diddly is the argument even about? It's a damn adjustable FOV anyway. Don't like it? Change it, and be glad you're not having to be SOL or editing .ini files to do it.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2016, 04:34:55 AM »
Estes,

Patience.............

There is no argument.  However, your point, telling others that they can change it (which I do, when I encounter new faces who are having difficulties), does not cover, "if no one is there to tell them".  We want new players to stick around.  We veterans have plenty of other ways to stack the deck:  plane weight, convergence, stall limiter, no tracers, not to mention the hours of practice.  FOV is the only one that is set before you load the arena.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »
By the time FOV would make any difference to a players ability to kill, they would be already hooked on the game.

But one look and players thinking this game sucks because the planes are so small would cost us some one upon their first exposure to the Aces High.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
By the time FOV would make any difference to a players ability to kill, they would be already hooked on the game.

But one look and players thinking this game sucks because the planes are so small would cost us some one upon their first exposure to the Aces High.

HiTech

That's a nice feature with VR. All the aircraft appear life size.   :D

I know everything is full size in AH but many players don't seem to understand FOV.   :old:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:20:35 PM by FLS »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
I just suspend belief and imagine I'm back in a T28 bouncing my father's twin baron over the farmlands in northern Maryland after herding Holsteins in a PA field 15 minutes earlier with it. FAA inspectors are scary people. And all the reflections and their distortions on the inside of the canopy plex is real. If you leave the canopy open when you turn over the T28 you do get a little smoke in the cockpit from an old engine.

This whole post was really about making something programmatically convenient for someone with "it's for the newbies" on the side. But, Hitech started out for the newbies as his focus.

HiTech

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.