Author Topic: FOV view Default  (Read 4719 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: FOV view Default
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
I used the excel sheet to calc my FoV, 35.5 is not available in the game.

I did earlier testing of FoV to scale a 100Mil reticle ring to 1.9in(50mm) on my 24in monitor measured with a ruler. That presents the 100Mil reticle ring at it's real world size. The FoV to achieve this on my monitor was 60.

If any of you played football and can remember the FoV out of the helmet through the bars. FoV of 60 is like having the area you can see out of the front of the helmet reduced by 1\3 and the bars increased in width by 1\3. It forces you to really put your head on a swivel because the advantages of the widened FoV starting about 90 just don't exist. And about 1\3 of the time in the drone circle I was loosing the drones while pulling lag rolls and other aerobatic maneuvers. Still, medieval knights learned to fight for their lives with only slits and very bad peripheral vision.

Reminded me a lot of a time for a few months I had to drive with one eye.       
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »
I used the excel sheet to calc my FoV, 35.5 is not available in the game.

I did earlier testing of FoV to scale a 100Mil reticle ring to 1.9in(50mm) on my 24in monitor measured with a ruler. That presents the 100Mil reticle ring at it's real world size. The FoV to achieve this on my monitor was 60.

If any of you played football and can remember the FoV out of the helmet through the bars. FoV of 60 is like having the area you can see out of the front of the helmet reduced by 1\3 and the bars increased in width by 1\3. It forces you to really put your head on a swivel because the advantages of the widened FoV starting about 90 just don't exist. And about 1\3 of the time in the drone circle I was loosing the drones while pulling lag rolls and other aerobatic maneuvers. Still, medieval knights learned to fight for their lives with only slits and very bad peripheral vision.

Reminded me a lot of a time for a few months I had to drive with one eye.     

Couldn't you vary the distance from your eyes to the monitor a bit to match up to a specific FOV?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 02:25:42 PM »
At 64 inches from my 24 inch monitor it is not worth trying to play the game. At 16 inches I have to constantly move my head left and right to see what I take for granted at 32 inches. At 32 inches the FoV arc allows me to see everything across a 23.5 inch presentation. I've played with my 40 inch TV and 64 inches is proportionally the same spot as my 24 inch monitor.

Distance from the monitor only finds the best spot for your eyes to easily see what the monitor is displaying without having to either move your head side to side or find it uncomfortable to focus on smaller things you don't need zoom to see. You are trying to find a trade off to the width of your monitor, FoV, and the comfort zone of your eyes current physical state. FOV fixes you to an arc of seeing your world what ever you do including the corresponding amount of zoom.

I will venture Hitech has a code formula that describes zoom in the game with values that correspond to the max\min values we have available to set our custom FOV. And our custom FOV input ends up being a zoom value.

In FPS games there is some conventional wisdom around lower number FoV and your ability to point aim and hit your enemies from your avatar.  I always tended to play FPS games with my head closer to the monitor and a smaller FOV while keeping my vision on a swivel.

Air to Air combat requires peripheral vision to see the sky and track a small fast moving object in 360 degrees all over that sky. A narrower FOV is no different than setting a wide FOV but performing all of your ACM with zoom on. You can prove this by setting your FOV to 60 and using a ruler to measure the diameter of a 100Mil reticle ring. Then use the keypad to look at a few views and screen shot them. Then reset your FOV to 120, then spawn out in the same plane, hit zoom and adjust the 100Mil ring to the same diameter from FOV at 60. Keypad the same views and screen shot them from zoom. The views 60FOV and zoomed 120 FOV screen captured should both be reasonably close in size viewed from your art program.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »
I can't stand FPS games with a low FOV, gives me a headache and it's just not comfortable to play. I never bothered to get that nerdy and figure how far to sit etc., but I always used the "arm length " rule of thumb. And on my monitor, depending on the particular game but anything lower than 70 in an FPS is pushing it. And that's being too generous, I'd be more comfortable at 80 +

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:01 PM »
Arm's length is a good minimum and requires a big screen for life size. I usually use one 27" monitor now but I set this up on PC2 recently.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »
Some of you guys should beg the wife to pay for some civilian air combat time at the local airfield.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 05:54:38 PM »
You mean to equip my wife with a plane?   :bolt:

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
I just did the calculations for my 24" widescreen monitor, and came up with a FOV of 40. That's just too narrow, so I set my FOV to 80 (it's been 100 forever), and actually kind of like it. I'll give it a few hours of gameplay...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:47:39 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
For the record, I said FPS as in first person shooters specifically for a reason. Go play some old shooters like golden eye and youll see what i mean. Most games now have adjustable fov sliders, but some (cough CoD cough) - at least the last one I played didn't and was locked at 60 without editing .ini files.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
With a 24in monitor, the only way I could get the excel sheet to generate a 80FOV was by sitting 12 inches from the monitor. No thank you..... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
I think you old geezers need bigger monitors lol I'm only on a single 27 inch 144hz benq myself.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 07:08:05 PM »
I set close to a 43" monitor/tv.  I came up with about a 70 fov.  What I noticed is that if I imagined the canopy extending out from the screen it would indeed be about the right size at a 70 fov.  Not good for game play and if I set up a 104 fov, I can always zoom to a 70, but I can't "unzoom" from a 70 fov.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 07:36:14 PM »
I set close to a 43" monitor/tv.  I came up with about a 70 fov.  What I noticed is that if I imagined the canopy extending out from the screen it would indeed be about the right size at a 70 fov.  Not good for game play and if I set up a 104 fov, I can always zoom to a 70, but I can't "unzoom" from a 70 fov.
Exactly my point. Most of the FPS games that bug me are of course ports from consoles, and without that fov slider we sit closer to the monitors than people that play consoles in their living rooms etc

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »
tan((Width / 2) / Dist) * 2

I.E atan(32.5 / 40) * 2 = 78 Deg

And screen resolution has no effect on the calculation.

HiTech

HiTech thank you for the calculation. When you setup the Vive and rift will you use a default fov that would represent life size?

Terry

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 05:38:46 AM »
Randy the cockpit bar gets bigger and the bandit gets bigger by the same amount. There is no disadvantage.

. . . Going back to Randy's comment about a best FOV, if you set a wide FOV like 106-120 for SA . . .

Exactly my point.  The lower FOV increases the % screen covered by the cockpit frame as well as narrowed view.  SA is less with lower FOV.