Author Topic: I Quit the Dark  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
I Quit the Dark
« on: November 09, 2016, 12:33:55 AM »
My choice.  Due to visibility factors of the AH3 which are wrong-headed.  I refuse to play in the dark. No point. Can't see anything anyway. So now I log on, and if it's anywhere near to 'night time', I log off.  Bye bye AH.  Someday, I won't want to pay $15 every month to log off half the time in frustration. 

Question:  HiTech, you do intend for the players to actually be able to PLAY the game, right?
Realism is great and usually a good thing if not taken to the point where people can't accurately visualize and play the game.  This is certainly not the case for most players, but there are a lot who are having trouble with various visual clues and settings, etc.  Probably not enough for anyone to give dam.

This is just FYI for anyone who, on some far away planet may care.  As a customer, I believe it's my responsibility to provide feedback, good or bad.  By the way, the ground graphics and the clouds are really great.

I know I'll get the usual crap from the usual people.  My response to that is go get what you would be if you were... "attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis".   :confused:
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: I Quit the Dark
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »
The "night" is present for like 5 minutes, make a trip to the bathroom and it will be gone when you are back...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 01:59:18 AM »
Turn gamma to 3.0 like me
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:30:08 AM »
night fighting is a different game, I have  to do changes in icon colors and gamma to see anything.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 03:48:24 AM »
I also walk away from the joystick when its dark in the arena.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 06:54:37 AM »
The "night" is present for like 5 minutes, make a trip to the bathroom and it will be gone when you are back...
:aok Yup!  Potty time.  LOL  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »
I have to agree....although it is the one time I don't lose the aircraft against the ground as it seems they are "spotlighted".

I don't find it immersive, I find it more annoying.  And the twilight affecting the Clipboard is not a good "feature" as well. 

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »
I think the dark times look stunning. If I log in when it's dark it gives me the opportunity to chat with my squadmates, plan our next move, pour me some beverage etc.

Actually arriving during the "night" adds immersion to me. Waiting for the dawn is like waking up from a dream called "the real life" and starting a new day in a virtual reality. Instead of just jumping into an eternal noon the dawn makes me look at the weather, check the wind, wonder whether it's going to be a calm day or a glorious one...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 08:17:39 AM »
I also do not fly in the dark. When I see dusk I head on back to base.
Some folks like it though.

The one exception is for Christmas last year, I stuck it out and flew the dark hoping to see Santa but he never made it to our area.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 09:34:01 AM »
And the stars. It's so accurate that you can use them for navigation. I only wish that we had a telescope in the tower. Just awsum.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
Gamma 3.0 negates it, but I too don't think it has any place in the game.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 10:03:12 AM »
If this game was easy I would get bored and quit.  :old:

I tnink the night is so short it's no big deal for me. The transition to morning is awesome.  :banana:

I was trying to attack a cv against 4 to 1 odds to no avail then night fell and I was able to get close enough for an attack before finally returning to earth in my chute.  :uhoh

Even in daylight AH3 can be much more difficult than the AH2 you were used to. Things seem to happen much more quickly and you have to be on top of your game. Nighttime may exasperate that.
   Can't wait for a nighttime rainy thunderstorm.  :devil
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 10:05:26 AM by Slate »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 10:04:49 AM »
I tnink the night is so short it's no big deal for me. The transition to morning is awesome.  :banana:

You enjoy the "cockpit full of urine" effect?  :headscratch:

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
Some of the best fights I have been involved with, happened in the Dark times :aok Its always the same thing, "Too many trees; water looks flat; its dark;sound pack sucks", BUT STILL those guys fly on!!! Its not perfect, but its the best thing I have ever been able to play. At least alot of the complaints are discussed in the BBS, where it belongs. I really get peeved when it hits the in game messaging. I believe in corrective criticism, thats how you make things better. Just remember, there arent 100 fat guys in a basement somewhere, writing code for YOUR game. Pretty sure its more like 4 or 5 :devil   Its alot like griping about the new maps and their terrain...have you tried to make a custom terrain? Sounds easy enough, pretty sure that a new sense of respect would come about, for the guys that did all that work. :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »
You enjoy the "cockpit full of urine" effect?  :headscratch:

Wiley.

Who Tol....I mean....Its not Urine.  :noid