Author Topic: Unsportsmanlike game play  (Read 14461 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Unsportsmanlike game play
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2021, 11:08:39 AM »
It's funny, because I've had, over the last year and a half, a lot of email conversations with WBs players, people who are essentially nice people in the real world.  It's something about that game controller/virtual combat experience that turns them into idiots.  In the same manner that people will say things on FB that they wouldn't dare to say to someone face to face.  I don't pretend to understand that, either.

I think the source of a lot of the friction is two of the many player philosophies that really rub wrong against each other.  The guys that want Marquis of Queensbury honorable awesome duels and want their enemies to abide by their self-imposed restrictions vs people that see it as side vs side, actually trying to kill the other side, and expect them to do the same.

And ne'er the twain shall meet.

I don't take anything personal when the other side is trying to kill me.  In an open arena, I find people that assume their opponents are bad people because the guys on the other side are throwing everything they have at them to try to win is laughable, and worthy of derision.  Want duels?  DA/private arenas are on the left.

If we were playing football, I'd expect these guys to whine about fairness when more than one guy attempts to sack the quarterback, or more than one guy covers a receiver.

It's a silly, self-centered way of looking at the game.  And the level of hypocrisy it requires for them to claim moral superiority is both hilarious and infuriating in equal measure.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2021, 11:45:37 AM »
Fugitive from 2013:

How has that lecturing players worked for ya all these years?

Have you convinced them all to play the way you want yet?

On the other hand, here is Fugi in 2015 sorta making a little sense:

Correct.  Your "unwritten rules"  don't exist.  Players will do whatever they please within HTC player agreement and the constraint enforced by the "coad".

Glad to see you agreed with me way back in 2015.  :rofl

Some players have class, some have honor and when the new young guys come in to play most have neither. However some learn to have class and honor and become better players in the community. Has everyone changed their attitude? LOL!!! hell no! if I could do that the world would be a better place, but if I helped change one or two during the years here, Im happy.

I believe everyone can change for the better, evidently you dont and thats a bit sad.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »
but if I helped change one or two during the years here, Im happy.

You haven't.

They roll their eyes at you, laugh, and continue to do what ever their whim dictates. 

Or haven't you gotten that memo since 2013?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2021, 12:03:47 PM »
You haven't.

They roll their eyes at you, laugh, and continue to do what ever their whim dictates. 

Or haven't you gotten that memo since 2013?

So you don't play AH anymore?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2021, 12:18:53 PM »

Eagler

I'm not sure why you think you are entitled to know my account status or in-game handle.  My accounts are a matter between HTC and myself.

Are you claiming I am mis-informed and that the arena has now learned the error of it's ways and pledged to abide by Vinkman's Rules™?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »

Eagler

that would be correct.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2021, 12:26:14 PM »

I'm not sure why you think you are entitled to know my account status or in-game handle.  My accounts are a matter between HTC and myself.

Are you claiming I am mis-informed and that the arena has now learned the error of it's ways and pledged to abide by Vinkman's Rules™?

I just wanted to explode your aeroplanes ... repeatedly  and probably very easily  :)

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
I just wanted to explode your aeroplanes ... repeatedly  and probably very easily  :)

Eagler

OK.  What does that have to do with the discussion at hand?

The relevant questions are:

1.  Have there always been pickers and Hoes, and runstangs?  Yes.

2.  Have there always been people whining about that on the forum?  Yes.

3.  Has that whining convinced the player base to behave differently and abide by some unwritten set of rules?  No.

4.  Is the forum whining ever likely have an effect going forward if you yell louder and jump up and down harder?  No.

5.  Will players continue to fly however they please within the HTC player agreement and the software constraints?  Yes.

6.  Does my account status effect any of that?  No.

Do you dispute any of those?

Or do you wish to just jump on me personally because you don't like the answers?

Lol.  Good luck with that.  I guess that feels better than just facing reality.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
Just wondering how you are an expert on what a game needs that you don't even play..

Currently btwn 8pm to 9pm est there are over 100 players and if the map is decent it is usually a great hour

And I just wanted to hunt you down...repeatedly lol

Eagler

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »
Just wondering how you are an expert on what a game needs that you don't even play..

So which of those 6 answers was I wrong on? 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
Didn't say you were wrong at all ...

I don't think anything will change code wise or player behavior wise...I'd just like smaller maps to match the smaller subscriber base...

And to see all the former players give it a go again to increase the number of red planes every evening...purely selfish reasons :)

Eagler

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »

So, are you claiming that after this rant post the arena has turned a 180 and now all players are abiding by Vinkman's Rules™?

If it opens one players eyes it's worth it.  Sportsmanship is a learned behavior, and hence discussion is a prerequisite. For some people that is. Others are obtuse and never learn.

Yes, I have seen the behavior of many in the arena change for the better.  Smart, reasonable people don't need a rule.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2021, 01:25:26 PM »
I think the source of a lot of the friction is two of the many player philosophies that really rub wrong against each other.  The guys that want Marquis of Queensbury honorable awesome duels and want their enemies to abide by their self-imposed restrictions vs people that see it as side vs side, actually trying to kill the other side, and expect them to do the same.

And ne'er the twain shall meet.

I don't take anything personal when the other side is trying to kill me.  In an open arena, I find people that assume their opponents are bad people because the guys on the other side are throwing everything they have at them to try to win is laughable, and worthy of derision.  Want duels?  DA/private arenas are on the left.

If we were playing football, I'd expect these guys to whine about fairness when more than one guy attempts to sack the quarterback, or more than one guy covers a receiver.

It's a silly, self-centered way of looking at the game.  And the level of hypocrisy it requires for them to claim moral superiority is both hilarious and infuriating in equal measure.

Wiley.

Red herrings.  You're making your own false claims and then disputing them. No one asked to never be double teamed or picked. You made that up.

The unsportsmanlike play was defined as not engaging an enemy. When engaged some players chose to only run for one, two or even more sectors to avoid "playing."   

Stop arguing with yourself and read the thread.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2021, 01:26:52 PM »

OK.  What does that have to do with the discussion at hand?

The relevant questions are:

1.  Have there always been pickers and Hoes, and runstangs?  Yes.

2.  Have there always been people whining about that on the forum?  Yes.

3.  Has that whining convinced the player base to behave differently and abide by some unwritten set of rules?  No.

4.  Is the forum whining ever likely have an effect going forward if you yell louder and jump up and down harder?  No.

5.  Will players continue to fly however they please within the HTC player agreement and the software constraints?  Yes.

6.  Does my account status effect any of that?  No.

Do you dispute any of those?

Or do you wish to just jump on me personally because you don't like the answers?

Lol.  Good luck with that.  I guess that feels better than just facing reality.

Most of these answers a some or completely incorrect.

ALL of them are irrelevant to the OP.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2021, 01:29:46 PM »
Red herrings.  You're making your own false claims and then disputing them. No one asked to never be double teamed or picked. You made that up.

The unsportsmanlike play was defined as not engaging an enemy. When engaged some players chose to only run for one, two or even more sectors to avoid "playing."   

Stop arguing with yourself and read the thread.  :salute

What are they running to then?  Ack or friends.  IE-  They are trying to kill you in a way you don't want.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11