Author Topic: Someone's definition of success...  (Read 5178 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Someone's definition of success...
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2022, 05:51:44 PM »
I agree, Mechanic. Some people just fly smart and they're not going to turn around to fight 5 guys in their 6 at 800 yards. Yet people still go on 200 hundred and complain about that. lol.

I would never think about complaining about anything on 200, especially how someone is playing.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2022, 07:21:00 PM »
It's pretty easy to "fly Smart" when your plane goes 30 mph faster than most others, excels faster than almost any plane, and can dive better than 98% of the planes in the game, along with having 500 spray and pray cannons, but I digress....
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2022, 07:52:36 PM »
Right. So they are flying smart. Most of those planes are not going to last long in a turn and burn fight. If they're good they'll bnz and use energy fighting.

Also, no one is precluded from getting a plane that is just as fast.

When I'm in a Spit (pink) I don't cry when a pony refuses to turn with me and instead gets away with his speed and maybe comes back with more alt. I also do not mind one bit when someone  "runs to his friends"

I don't understand the mentality of anyone who get's upset at how someone else decides to enjoy the game.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2022, 07:01:25 AM »
Hey OBX..........over here................

FUSS!

:old: :neener:

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2022, 11:48:19 AM »
If anyone remembers how I used to approach a fight in this game it goes without saying that I know my way around all sorts of turny burny reversal nonsense and that it was the style that gave me the most enjoyment. Most often I would play from disadvantage deliberately. However I will now uncharacteristically defend the 'stay alive' game play style.  Some months I would up a Dstang or a Jug and fly to stay alive. After the first defeat I would then revert.

Both of those activities have self-challenge and advancement at the core of them and neither are the easy-mode, systematic picking, ganging and running and then using score to try and shut people up when they call you on it because they contiguously know it’s true and are too sensitive to bear to hear it. You couldn’t make this stuff up  :rofl

So when are you returning Mr. Fink?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2022, 08:21:08 PM »
So when are you returning Mr. Fink?

A very good question!  Batfink stuck his toe in the water about six months ago.  Like you, Shida, he's on Euro time, so I'm probably missing his appearances.

Much to my chagrin.  You can learn a lot by tangling with him.

- jkw

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2022, 01:40:32 AM »
I'll take any of you on one versus one if you guys want to duel.

you logged off and didn't even say bye...

I called you out to duel, have some fun, but you ignored me...

I don't normally go to the MA and to do it this many hours 2 days straight is very hard on my physical condition....

just saying.....not a complaint

cheers
TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2022, 06:17:11 AM »
you logged off and didn't even say bye...

I called you out to duel, have some fun, but you ignored me...

I don't normally go to the MA and to do it this many hours 2 days straight is very hard on my physical condition....

just saying.....not a complaint

cheers
TC

Sorry about that. I didn't notice. I keep text buffer at only a few lines. Last night I was drop-dread tired and I just logged off without saying goodbye, as I usually will. I've been dealing with some family issues

Let me know in a direct chat in game if I don't respond. Didn't mean to ignore you.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2022, 06:28:30 AM »
I wanted to add that I've really been enjoying the game. I usually have enough time for an hour or two in the early evenings, California time.

The people I see online and who I fly with are great and fun to be with in game. Everybody is so nice on vox and a lot of fun to be with in the game.

As I said, I don't usually say anything on 200 other than good evening and goodnight to everyone. I keep that text buffer at maybe 4 lines and it goes by fast. I'm usually just flying wherever the planes are fighting and I'll just be in a fighter. I talk to the guys on local channel.

I'm so glad the game is still around. It's also so great to see so many familiar names from way back.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:41:03 AM by -gg- »

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2022, 06:38:53 AM »
Sorry about that. I didn't notice. I keep text buffer at only a few lines. Last night I was drop-dread tired and I just logged off without saying goodbye, as I usually will. I've been dealing with some family issues

Let me know in a direct chat in game if I don't respond. Didn't mean to ignore you.

No worries....hahaha I am sparsely even ever in the MA, but I had a brain fart thinking that I had this past Monday and next Monday to practice and knock my rust off for the upcoming KOTH event,  but realized yesterday that it's this weekend,  so 2 nights straight I stayed in the MA til 2:40am edt ...except last night I went afk for about the last hour trying ease off the pain it causes me to sit and even play for 30 minutes to an hour 🙃

Hmm, direct chat in game don't work anymore across countries...but I plan on trying to do this every night this week if I can push through, heh 😅

Have a great day!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2022, 07:42:36 AM »
If anyone remembers how I used to approach a fight in this game it goes without saying that I know my way around all sorts of turny burny reversal nonsense and that it was the style that gave me the most enjoyment. Most often I would play from disadvantage deliberately. However I will now uncharacteristically defend the 'stay alive' game play style.  Some months I would up a Dstang or a Jug and fly to stay alive. After the first defeat I would then revert. But that pressure or survival, a real life role play if you will, is a valid and difficult act of discipline. It would have been quite boring for me if it was the only style I played, but that is subjective.

I'm sure I've had my fair share of times calling out runtards in the 20 years since first playing AH. But using the online arena for your own personal combat career a la Red Baron or Dawn Patrol is a perfectly fair way to play, I believe.

anyway, having flown about 10 sorties in the last years on aces high I don't really have a right to comment on current affairs.

I remember!  and remember all our dueling and what not...is why I asked and invited to join the AH Training Corps....I saw what you had to offer to help the AH player community... pretty sure Badboy noticed something in your flying as well...

Hope to see you back soon

~☆SALUTE☆~ & cheers 🍻

TC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2022, 07:51:47 AM »
Like you, Shida, he's on Euro time, so I'm probably missing his appearances.

Yeah it's pretty grim for the Euros, sadly.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2022, 11:04:16 AM »

A very good question!  Batfink stuck his toe in the water about six months ago.  Like you, Shida, he's on Euro time, so I'm probably missing his appearances.

Much to my chagrin.  You can learn a lot by tangling with him.

- jkw

Howdy Oldman, great to see you kicking about. I'm not currently playing AH but always thinking about it. I've been getting my fix recently in DCS with VR and some WWII modules. Not much of an online game there but the overall immersion is on a whole new level. I don't even want to admit how much the rig cost to run DCS in VR.

lots of love to you
S!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2022, 04:15:25 PM »
Hiya Batfink...remember ole Max?

Yeah, player #'s are down and gameplay sometimes sucks but there's still some fun to be had. Jump back in for a month and go from there.

<S>

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2022, 05:36:24 PM »
This game is one of the best in my opinion, even with some of the whiney little poops in here.  I love to fly and fight in almost any airplane, the Dora being one of my favorites.  I love the Corsair, the Spit IX, the Spit VIII, the Yak-3, Yak-9, occasionally the LA-7, The mossy, the Zeke, the Ki-84, the Nicky, the Lightening, the Jug, the Pony, several flavors of the 109, and the 190-A5, A8, the P-39......I guess I don't really have a favorite, and I like to watch the players that specialize in a particular plane.  The Dora is a blast, it's fast, dives well, has months of WEP, and cannons.  It is hard to turn fight with, and does best vertically, or pulling the nose up slightly and chopping power before you start turning and burning.  I don't follow any strict rules on fighting, as it doesn't really matter to me in my cartoon airplane.  I usually don't know how many planes I've shot down in a sortie, and I don't really care.  I like fighting several people in here, as they make my heart rate get up, and they usually don't talk smack first.  Smack talk is something a lot of people do to increase the fun of the game, I don't because it takes too much effort.  I usually won't respond to someone who's butt hurt or trying to get in some smack talking, once again, too much effort, and I don't like trying to type while flying VR.  I have the bad habit of diving into high numbers of enemy planes and turning, which usually is predictable in how it ends. 

This isn't an ego game for me, so I don't care about score, kills per sortie, or many things people try to measure their skill by.  If I did, I'd fly a Pony or a Dora exclusively, and climb to high altitude and only engage when I found someone alone, or occupied with much less alt then myself.  There are those players in the game, and I don't care if that is what they want to do, they can be a pain in the butt if you want to turn and burn, but it's their choice on how to play in a game that makes that work.  If you wanted to ensure no alt monkeys were around to break up a fight, there should be an arena set up like Monday night madness, and another with air starts at 20k for the alt monkeys.  Fly, kill, die, and repeat. Love you all, and God bless the BW1stpar like players in this game, as he flies well, doesn't complain if he's shot down, and always communicates and helps everyone.  Enjoy this game while we have it, it's a lot of fun. 

If you kill me in any fight, just assume I would salute you, with my new VR headset, I don't type much at all.  I appreciate every kind of kill, be it a HO, a tank main gun round, (that still amazes me), or a classic turn and burn.  Every once in a while I want to kill someone who is flying a plane I like poorly, or cheaply, but that's just me being a grumpy old poop.  I hope to see you in the unfriendly skies, especially if you're on fire and in my gunsights <S>.

Dieter