Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 36843 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1590 on: May 21, 2024, 12:30:14 PM »
Speaking of the Grim Reapers.

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1591 on: May 21, 2024, 02:11:07 PM »
I'm going to be diving into all that maybe this afternoon.  I start summer break next week, so that's when I plan on really jumping in.  I'm just trying to get everything going.  I know I want to download the free A4 mod.  Are there any other mods, maps, missions, etc... that I should get.  I just want to fly around in pretty planes for a little while offline before I get plastered in the pretty skies  :D

Hoggit Training Arena (hoggit1fw is the pw).  Very friendly (the players, not so much Hoggit) and you can even get some SRS familiarization in.  Well, if you're lucky enough to have someone else using it.  You can practice everything there.  Plenty of stuff to bomb, constantly regenerating (if not extremely easy) air targets.

Do NOT break the rules, which essentially are... do not grief, do not muck around at airfields (the main airfields).  That "it's time to buzz the tower", or do interlocking loops with pretty multicolored smoke pods will get you banned.  They're serious about that part, and I ain't kiddin... which is a good thing.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1592 on: May 22, 2024, 02:18:44 PM »
Since I've been flying the F-18 more lately I decided to make better use of my Warthog throttle. The Warthog throttle models the A-10 functions and so doesn't match the F-18, or any other aircraft. Here's how to simulate a three position switch in DCS for a function that doesn't recognize a three position switch. While this demo I just made is specifically for DCS it will work for any other sim that allows for generous key mappings.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1593 on: May 22, 2024, 02:41:40 PM »
The Catalina Winemixer has a F4 mission for training up n running on Fox3 servers.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1594 on: May 22, 2024, 03:29:42 PM »
My first flight. Don't forget to map your brakes!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1595 on: May 22, 2024, 04:02:38 PM »
I'll add to that about mapping your brakes, check that the mapped axis does not need to be inverted. Some occasionally do. Click the axis tune button to invert, add a curve, or a dead zone.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1596 on: May 22, 2024, 06:16:05 PM »
You only need to download and extract the file "Community_A-4E-C_v2.2.zip".  The other files are not needed.  Once extracted place the entire unzipped folder in "c:\user\(your user name)\saved games\DCS"

That is all there is to it.

I followed these steps and hopped on the game to make sure I did it right.  It's still only showing the 51 and Su25 is all I have available.   :bhead It's incredible how dumb I am when it comes to stuff like this  :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1597 on: May 22, 2024, 06:28:59 PM »
Many people have/had trouble with this, yours truly included. Sometimes you have to manually create folders. It must look like this to work.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1598 on: May 22, 2024, 06:51:45 PM »
I followed these steps and hopped on the game to make sure I did it right.  It's still only showing the 51 and Su25 is all I have available.   :bhead It's incredible how dumb I am when it comes to stuff like this  :rofl

Note: "Saved Games" which is different than where the game installed.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1599 on: May 22, 2024, 07:03:35 PM »
I fixed it within a few seconds of posting this.  but, of course, it took 10 minutes for the boards to load so I couldn't edit my post in time.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1600 on: May 23, 2024, 03:24:38 AM »
I fixed it within a few seconds of posting this.  but, of course, it took 10 minutes for the boards to load so I couldn't edit my post in time.

Just so ya know (know that you've figured the mod-install part out)... the VSN F-104 Starfighter is pretty good as well.  It's not the A4, but definitely worthy of a look. 
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1601 on: May 23, 2024, 07:41:47 AM »
You can still get rides in a real f104 at kennedy space center from “starfighters”.   

Next time I’m up doing aero testing and the pilots come over to see the cars, i’ll try to ask if any have tried the f104 in a sim.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 07:44:03 AM by icepac »

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1602 on: May 23, 2024, 09:44:28 AM »
Just so ya know (know that you've figured the mod-install part out)... the VSN F-104 Starfighter is pretty good as well.  It's not the A4, but definitely worthy of a look.

Ohhhh interesting.  My pilot training program begins next Tuesday when I get home from the lake! I plan to be an A4 pilot by the end of summer.  Might check that out, too.   :rock :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1603 on: May 23, 2024, 10:00:49 AM »
F-104 Flight Training from Kennedy Space Center

$ 34.000 for a 3-day training program, including flight.
The course covers the fundamentals of flying the legendary F-104 Starfighter.

And some cheaper options:
https://www.flymig.com/packages/

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1604 on: May 23, 2024, 10:23:07 AM »
After one takeoff and one landing in the new F-4E I decided it was time to try air refueling. I am not prepared. Something I just learned is that the trim won't work if you have force feedback enabled in the options-misc page. And you need a well trimmed phantom before getting close to the tanker. Something else I'm going to have to look at is the AB detent. In every other aircraft my physical Warthog detent matches the aircraft AB. In the F-4 it doesn't.