Author Topic: US allows drug tests on students.  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
US allows drug tests on students.
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2002, 10:42:04 PM »
I heard that on thursday it's striped uniforms and lie detectors, or is that friday?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2002, 10:44:59 PM »
No. The reason why the Supreme court has upheld these sorts of laws is because it's in the interest of public safety.

For example, the police can stop a car at a sobriety check point, but they can't use the same sort of stop as a drug search check point.
sand

Offline nucks

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2002, 10:49:53 PM »
Good point, who doesn't believe "it's in the interest of public safety" to dissuade children from taking drugs??...anybody?

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2002, 10:52:07 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
have any of you heard of "probable cause"???

don't matter what the SC says , random testing with out probable cause is illegal

Ahhh... no, it's not lol
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2002, 10:53:14 PM »
"No wonder the parents pressured for stricter enforcement."

Actually there was a public outcry when the parents found out about it.  The police and school staff deliberately let the drugs keep flowing into the school for the better part of a year although they knew where it was comming from, just so they could make more arrests.  Their undercover guy actually goaded a couple guys into buying pot, who otherwise probably wouldn't have.

Do you think that's a good thing?  

J_A_B

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2002, 10:55:37 PM »
Relatively, or overall?  I'd imagine there was some significant impact on consumption regardless.

Personally, I believe anyone who cannot spot a narc in a class of 78 is better off busted.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2002, 10:56:40 PM »
""The state has the authority "" ....ya voh , mine fuhrer, ve have vays to make to talk

Offline nucks

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2002, 11:01:56 PM »
funny, but here the "state" is "we the people", and I strongly believe that "we the people's" right to raise our children free from the peer pressure of illicit drug use is greater than the rights of students who do not want to subject themselves to random drug testin when they participate in voluntary extra-curricular activities.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2002, 11:09:58 PM »
They had zero effect on consumption.  Instead of going after the SOURCE of the problem, all they did was punish punish punish the users.  Net result:  They look "tough on drugs" by getting a bunch of arrests but the drug problem never goes away.

Why do you think I'm so dead set against this sort of drug policy that schools are using?   Because it's so damn ineffective!

What about other problems with our children?  My school (the same one as above) typically has a freakishly high teen pregnancy rate compared to the rest of the area--when my cousin graduated in 2000, something like 30% of the girls were either pregnant or already mothers.  It was also really high when I graduated a few years before that, but I don't recall exactly what it was.  Believe me, this IS related to the drug problem.

How do you fix THIS?  Random virginity testing?

J_A_B

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2002, 11:12:39 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn

Do you have a solution to the erosion of your rights.  Or are you just going to sit there and chant, "There is no problem, there is no problem"?  Because, if you don't then, let me invite you to go read another thread.

And if you don't like what I'm saying then again, I invite you to not read it or respond to it.

Why do so many people seem to think the Constitution of the U.S. is there to protect thier right to break laws?  I don't get it... it's an absurd way of interpreting the problem.  Thrawn, our kids have every right to refuse drug testing and thereby give up thier "right" to attend a public education system.  Hey, it's a choice.  Don't want to participate, then stand by your convictions and suck it up when your opportunities go south.  Random drug testing has be going on in our Govt, Military and Civic organizations for well over a decade.  Private organizations and Corporations have been doing exactly the same thing for quite some time.  When its LEGAL to do illicit drugs, fine.. no big deal but right now, drugs are ILLEGAL and rampant in our schools.    What do you suggest be done.. nothing?  Got a better idea?  Please, spit it out.

I'm with Skuzzy on this.  How would you like a U.S. citizen coming here and nit-picking every detail of mighty Canada?

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2002, 11:13:43 PM »
With anger management.

Anyway, your story sounds like it would have been a lot better if there was drug testing so that they could not have allowed drugs for so long.

For the record, yes, I do endorse pregnancy tests.  Particulary when the period does not show.

Offline nucks

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2002, 11:13:56 PM »
last I heard...pregnancy wasn't a crime.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2002, 11:15:43 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Today, they test the children participating in "extra-curricular" ativity.

Tomorrow, they'll test them all.

Lets hope so.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2002, 11:29:02 PM »
read the book "1984" it is your future

big brother

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2002, 11:34:06 PM »
Total control through a drug testing decision made by elected officials on the school district level?  That part of my book must have fallen out.

Oh wait, I bet they censored it!