Author Topic: Warbirds III Free for August, But ....  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Warbirds III Free for August, But ....
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
And for Creamo, do you ever actually make a reasoned argument yourself, or does your debating skill consist entirely of attacking the people who disagree with your infallible position instead of their arguments?

Hmmm. Ok, blow me.

---

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2001, 06:07:00 AM »
Heyas again...

HOLY SHT!!  ez-mode... what a bloody travesty combining RR and FR in the same arena.  With ez on you can maintain control of the aircraft at speeds below 100mph whether going vertical or in an 80 deg bank...
Guess I'll be back soon...

SKurj

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
jedi.. ... u are correct.  we all have a "slider" that we use so far as "realism" goes.   I suppose that that same type of "slider" could be used for "fun" and "imersion".   IMO.... The most fun is the most variety and parity.   I believe this is a given.   It is obvious to anyone that the more variety and parity in a fight the more complex (and ultimately less boring) the fights will be.  

For some... perhaps yourself, variety and parity are not as important as "immersion", the feeling that they are "real" WWII pilots recreating or reenacting "history".   that of course does not change the fact that variety and parity are still the most complex fites.

personally... I have a large WWII library and am pretty well versed on "history".   I have no desire to try to recreate it ina..... game.   I especially do not wish to recreate it at the expense of complex, variety filled fites.   My threshold for watching the same ol same ol spit meets 109/190 move is very low.   No amount of telling myself I am a fighter pilot can negate that.

What i am interested in is the same thing that all those "real" pilots were... "How does this baby do"... I would venture to say that there were 10 times as many Corsair vs P47 or hellcat or mustantg or spit or whatever "fights" in the war as there ever were Corsair vs Ki84 or nik or even zeke.   the only difference is we get to shoot and they didn't.   I can't imagine one of those pilots that wouldn't relish the opportunity to fly "fantasy arena".... Hell... they did it allmost every day.

in short..... I'm right and your a poo poo head.
lazs

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
Well, Lazs, I'd try to continue the argument, but Creamo's eloquent response has so unnerved my poo-poo head that I just can't think of anything intelligent to say  :rolleyes:

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
jedi.. creamo tends to be a triffle more abrasive than even i.   That does not change the fact that you are mired in the sludge that is 'axis vs allied'...   It's a shame really... a fine mind gone to waste... burned to a crisp  by the same ol 109/190 vs spit moves as surely as if you had watched TV commercials for all those hours instead.    Somehow forgeting that the promise to fix six views and FM's is over 3 years now...  defending the damage model "daily spin"  and buying the "we have fixed the invulnerable 109 damage model again but are unable to fix it's twice normal ammo load"...

I just got tired of buying beer for the guys who were pissing down my neck and telling me it was warm rain.   These  guys here have been pretty up front this incarnation and pretty responsive plus....   The guns work, you can see behind ya and the damage model is at least fair... The planes perform pretty accurately compared to each other IMO... the corsair is slightly porky but not enough to get excited about....  The LW guys here are screaming like little girls and threatening to hold their breath till they turn blue so...   Things must be modeled pretty fairly wouldn't you say?   many have went back to you guys so what does that say about WB?

It was my opinion in WB that kissing their butt and giving em slack just made em more arrogant...  dragging em naked and screaming into the light had slightly more effect but was temporrary at best.   I just got tired of the fruitless struggle.   Here...  They ignore our rants but.... lay enough data on em and they actually admit that they may not be right!!  wait, it get's better, they actually fix it in a timely manner in most cases!   If enough people want something they will try to work it in.   But then, even a cursory glance at this BB will show that I am  a butt smootching HTC cheerleader of the highest magnitude.   Still... that does not change the fact that..... I am right and you are a poo poo head.
lazs

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2001, 05:36:00 PM »
Ah, Lazs, I see your...dubious..."sense of humor" has somehow remained intact despite your brainwashing into the HTC idol-worshipping Thuggi sect.

Your long-term memory appears to have suffered a bit tho--it's the ammo load of the 109 that was "fixed," the damage model is still painfully titanious  ;)

As for the rest, well, I Quixotically (go look that up Creamo, if your Phun With Phonix dictionary has words with over 2 syllables) hold out hope that iEN will at some point remember that the "flight" part of flight sim is the only thing that can save their rapidly sinking ship.  HTC, although they have taken a few halting steps toward "historical" play, is still firmly dependent upon an arena system that I was tired of 4 years ago, and shows no sign of thinking outside the box, content to improve the "technical quality" of their sim without having to venture out into the deep water of "something new."  Nothing wrong with that, of course, and if I have to choose between two "non-historical" sims with gladiator gameplay, I suspect I'd end up here, where the FM is a tad better and at least the developers don't think their customers are idiots.  (I thought I'd have to change my handle, but if they let YOU in...)  ;)  iEN at least TALKS about doing something different, although who knows what they'll actually deliver.  If they don't, and merely succumb to the same old main arena syndrome, well, I'll be a man without a country I guess  :(

At least for a while.   ;)  There are other fish frying...

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2001, 05:40:00 PM »
Get ahold of yourself Jedi, don't get obsessed unless your going to send in fanclub dues.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
Creamo-

Saw that over on the WWIIO BBS. Those kids do come up with some creative stuff, don't they.  ;)

Jedi-

I can empathize with anyone tired of the same old thing. Still, go visit WWIIO and see what happens when attempts to push the boundaries go awry. The concept is revolutionary, but the execution sets new standards for disaster.

"Craptacular!" Lum the Mad
"1-Star!" PC Gamer
"I can't get this thing to work!" The large angry mob just outside of Bedford, Texas.

I don't want to pull this off too far, just suffice to say it is better that HTC focuses strongly on one aspect of the game (F/M) and add other elements to enhance, but not be the focus of, the game. You should fly over there- I took a Stuka, rolled into knife-edge and climbed to 6K without losing speed. ROC was similar to level flight, and then when I did level the Stuka wouldn't hold the alt. Wrong, very obviously wrong. You know what the suggested workaround was (by the patrons of the board, of course)?

Don't fly knife-edge.

Now there is a game that deserves the title of "Worst Turd Ever Crapped Upon the Gaming Public", beating out such scams as "Battlecruiser 2000" and "TAS". There is a diamond in the huge, steaming turd, but how much crap can you stand getting to it?

Their reach exceeded their grasp. Before iEN or HTC chases CRS down that road to folly they'd better be certain they have adequate resources to do so.

"We traced the problems down to the Cisco routers." hehe, yeah right.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2001, 08:27:00 AM »
jedi... believe it or not I have given this whole thing a tiny bit of thought over the years...  I have come to the conclussion that...

What is so new and fresh and revolutionalry about a 60 year old war that has been written about in enough pages to circle the earth?   The air combat in WWII would have been boring in the extreme if you weren't actually flying and if your life (and others) wasn't at risk.

We arent actually flying and our lives aren't at risk.   The more historical we go the more  toward boredom we go (see my above posts).  

My idea for a good, durable and fun (yes "fun" is why we are here) arena remains one with the most parity and variety and action.  I realize that people will get bored and, if so called "historical" types, frustrated  with this from time to time and so I feel that "scenarios" run alongside the MA are the answer.  

You need a lot of organization and leadership and disipline to recreat historical missions.  A scenario that is scheduled is the answer.  People like me can just ignore em.   If a scenario ran 24/7 no one would put up with it tho.   As paying customers and human beings 99% of us are anarchists so far as multiplayer goes.   We would quickly tire of being told what to do (except those who thing that living with their parents at 35 is a good idea).

An HA type of arena is the worst of all worlds.... It is in no way (except for a resemblace to historical planeset) "historical".  It is anarchy without varity or parity.  It is a formula for disaster... Uneven numbers, bizzare substitutions, huge ac superiority issues and it supplies food for endless "your plane is too uber" debate...

No one (very few) will go into an HA for long unless forced.   Our HA will just fade away unless they shut down the MA.   Scenarios are as highly praised as they are sparsley attended.

What I wanted in WB was a three sided fight with non historical but fair planeset and good (comparitive) FM's, damage models and gunnery.   I got it in AH (after the 1.03 FM abortion left) and it is just as I had hoped.  I would love to have some sort of "area" arena or even a modified RPS so that we don't keep getting a faster and faster arena but I'm sure they know what's going on.   We got a 262 and a hurri for new planes... a strang set of new planes for the current arena indeed!

So... quit being a martyr.. and quit having your heart broken over there.   You are like the bride waiting at the alter into the night... come on over here and have..... fun.  Ya poo poo head.
lazs

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
In response to Creamo's picture of a kid running in the special olympics:

Where the hell is that dipshit Ruskie???
  ;)
-SW

Offline Ruskie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2001, 06:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
In response to Creamo's picture of a kid running in the special olympics:  Where the hell is that dipshit Ruskie???      ;)
-SW

(My apologies to those who read this post before editing.  I have edited out unnecessary derogatory comments)

It appears that HTC supports this kind of message board behavior as acceptable, so there's little else to add.

I've seen enough for my taste so to make your lives less stressful, this is my last post and I'm moving on to something more mature that has a better sense of community values with more tolerance for others.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Ruskie ]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2001, 07:18:00 AM »
Ah, you should have left in the part that me and SWulf and our "cronies" were not out of puberty, our lives had no worth, and all that personal attacking stuff.

It sure made your "community values" part quite a bit more entertaining if not ironic.

The "woe is me, HTC promotes this behavior" bit is alittle over doing it and a cheap stab at them for you to use it as a argument.

Some people aren't so anal that they don't just shake their heads and move past the silly toejam on a BBS realizing it's mostly in responce to the super serious crowd who gets all defensive at the drop of a hat. Relax.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
Ah man.. I missed him flying off the handle again?

I loved his hypocritical remarks, they were so... ironic.   ;)
-SW

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
hey.. give em a break.   The PC crowd is having a really tough time stirring up a lynch mob these days.    sometimes people even question THEIR values and motives.
lazs

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
"I've seen enough for my taste so to make your lives less stressful, this is my last post and I'm moving on to something more mature that has a better sense of community values with more tolerance for others."

Doesn't exist on the internet.

Westy