Author Topic: PYRO, Kick up the Perks please  (Read 719 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
PYRO, Kick up the Perks please
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2002, 03:54:08 PM »
The perk system does work - Yeager and I proved that during one of the Combat Theatre rotations. A couple of perks were EASY to earn in the early model planes.

Late war models were a coupla perkies each, D9 , 51D and the Spit IX was 2 or 3 each - it all balanced out.

And not only that, I felt the game was a lot more fun.  If you want to fly the superior model of your favorite plane, you gotta earn your ride.   Yeager has hit the nail right on the head. The perk system needs to be USED properly.  

Besides, it seperates the men from the boys... :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2002, 03:59:10 PM »
agreed, wish HTC would take a chance and run a trial in the MA.

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2002, 05:15:19 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
It would have no affect on rank, or anything other than to sort of show what kind of planes that person fights in and against.  .

WE already have this in stats

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2002, 05:39:02 PM »
I find it funny when people refer to the spit 9 we have as a latewar plane.:D   The spit9 we have is a '42 plane no?
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2002, 05:43:03 PM »
Bad idea, IMO.

Offline rabbit

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2002, 05:54:09 PM »
i didnt read all the posts in this thread but here is an idea.....

with the size of the new terrains put the late war rides in the rear fields. and then put the mid war and early rides in the front  bases.  keep the perks the way they are too.  make the price for  the new rides perks and time. ( the deeper ya get into the enemy
country the newer the planes get.)

and set the strat up to knock out or limit (factories)the newer rides as well. ( until resupplied by someone no rebuild time)
 make the target a factory  just out side the capitol  or something.

this way people  can fly the new stuff for the price of time and perks.   and  the early war stuff has a chance at the front.
and if ya take that shiney new 51-D 4 or 5 sectors you would want to hang on to it so you would tend to fly it smarter.

just an idea. i have many they arent too good but  they are idea's :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2002, 06:02:08 PM »
concentric circles...

early rides to the center, late war monsters to the outside

the late war monsters can fight along the fringes still as the fronts in the pizza map for example would place late war enemy fields close to each other

The only drawback would be if a country has lost its early war only zone, but that wouldn't deny them the planes as the EW rides could be found at all fields

SKurj

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.3-jg2.com
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2002, 06:27:53 PM »
Or what we could do is....

Since our current MA map is 4 old terrains put together...We could have 1 Old MA map Space for Early war rides, 1 Old MA map space for mid war rides, and 1 old map space for Late war rides. and the last 1/4 of a map for all planes. Now of course there will be people, "If you do this I am going to leave!!!!", (mainly b/c of rank reasons), but I'd say give this a try. Nothing perm. just a 1-2 week trial, and see how it works out.

-Edit- Spelling

Offline rabbit

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2002, 06:31:10 PM »
i do agree that  we could  have an idea areana where we could test these idea. and if the majority of us like it we could implement the new ideas.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2002, 07:11:41 PM »
RPS was one of the primary reasons I left Warbirds in the first place.  

(I editted out rest of this post before sending)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2002, 07:41:15 PM »
Lazs,

It is my hope and belief that giving a fair and perk value to the later models would serve a purpose of "osmosis" (sp) where as the effect of perks would more fairly promote usage of early rides and govern a more conservative use of later rides.  Not so restrictive as a rps but more restrictive than the current "free love" use (excepting the already fairly perked rides like the 262, F4U4).

Your idea is as valid as any I just dont see any clear cut advantage because there exists a clear way to take advantage of a seperation by simple distance.  It would probably work but since the perks have been conceived and implimented why not at least make the honest effort to get on the ball and give the perk system the opportunity to work.

My personal preference is for the rps.  I loved it in WBs but I dont think the perk system has been truly implimented yet.  Hence my call for Pyro to get on it.  Perhaps your idea will be tried in some form at some point and thats fine.  Lets get the perk system up and running and see what the effect is before pursuing something that isnt yet past the idea phase.

Im really liking the F4F, A6m2 and other new additions but it really is tricky trying to bring them to bear against the LA7s, P51Ds and other various and asundry late war rides.

Lets try a fully implimented perk system and see what it does.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline runny

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2002, 07:58:51 PM »
Originally posted by SKurj
concentric circles...

early rides to the center, late war monsters to the outside

And Lucifer right in the middle chewing up anybody who gets too close!

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2002, 08:46:27 PM »
I see a BIG advantage to Lazs system compared to yours Yeager.  Lazs' system wouldn't cause me to quit AH.  

Not sure how well Lazs area system would work, but wouldn't mind trying it since it wouldn't be any worse than the MA we have now.

OTOH, I'd be perfectly happy with an RPS if it was available in a separate arena because then it wouldn't be runing the game for me.  Contrary to the fears of some here, separate arenas can and have worked in the past and would work fine in AH too.  The issue of "one arena being full" would sort itself out over time as the two MA's develpoed their own following.

J_A_B

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2002, 09:16:26 PM »
Aren't you flying in the CT, Yeager?   It's just the planes you love, unhindered by BnZ'ing late war monsters.   Last night
there was 30 or 40 flying there - plenty for constant furballs between near-set opposing fields.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2002, 10:27:31 PM »
You don't want to go down this road, it doesn't work.

But I think the powers that be know that all ready :)