Author Topic: PYRO, Kick up the Perks please  (Read 718 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
PYRO, Kick up the Perks please
« on: July 10, 2002, 01:07:42 PM »
I love early war planes....Zekes, Wildcats, anything from 39-42.

Ive tried flying these new planes in the freedom of the MA but I am consistently being harrassed by Spit9s, LA7s, 51Ds, N1Ks etc etc that DO NOT WANT TO FIGHT....but rahter zoomboom and run away (and yeah, the new terrain is presenting some difficulites).

Now is as good a time as any to start utilizing meaningfull perk assesements on late war super dupers.

Either that or get a good RPS going.

Thanks
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 01:16:28 PM »
By all means, open a second MA using normal-size maps, reduce max players in both MA's to around 275, and have one normal MA and one RPS MA.  

I would never fly in an arena with an RPS, but the guys who want one should have their fun too.

J_A_B

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2002, 01:40:08 PM »
Probably wouldn't work by reducing the arena numbers. About that thime you'd find the majority trying to get into the one and locking uot players / squads from playing. I think it would end up another underused arena like the CT. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Best guage to check would be to see what planes get the most usage, the older ones or newer rides. Last consideration would be the presence of perk planes. Would they be allowed in both arenas?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2002, 01:40:36 PM »
I'd be happy to see an added stat under scores, a ratio of perks given vs perks earned(Ignoring the sortie end multipliers)  It would have no affect on rank, or anything other than to sort of show what kind of planes that person fights in and against.  So a 10 eny plane killing a 40 eny plane would have a ratio of .25, while the reverse would be 4.0.

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.3-jg2.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 01:48:00 PM »
Amen Yeager! :)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2002, 02:05:21 PM »
in what way are perks or a perk system useful in the slightest degree to an early war plane aficianado?    
lazs

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2002, 02:18:11 PM »
Perk system makes fair sense to me.  More sense that dividing up the MA with terrain eras.  Honestly, RPS makes the most sense to me.

I look at the number of 262s and F4U4s Im bothered with as proof that perks generally work.  They just have to be implimented smartly.  With the numbers of early war rides now avaliable, Pyro had better get with the meaningful perks, to at least see if it will work, or move on to RPS.  The early war rides deserve to be promoted in the game.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2002, 02:22:21 PM »
yeager... I don't think you get my point.   How would any perk system be of any use to an early war plane aficianado.   I have over 5 thousand perk points...  How will my perk points make flying an early war plane any more enjoyable or prevent me from having every fight ruined by late war rides?
lazs

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2002, 02:30:28 PM »
Perks are no more use to me than you Lazs, however, I believe that giving people incentive to fly them will mean that possibly more early war planes will be in the arena.... for us to fight.

They get uber perk points for shooting down late war monsters, we get early war planes to dogfight.

Win/win.
-SW

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2002, 02:31:14 PM »
not enough planes for an rps to make it very good.

The spit 9 is the most popular plane in the arena. It has the lowest eny and is a slow mid war plane. Its not good enough to be perked. Perking anything else ensures more spits. Upping the eny value of early war planes has done nothing to attract more folks to them.

A split arena would suk folks would migrate to the 1 with the most numbers. Folks who really like a certain plane or arena setting may be barred from flying because they logged on late and their arena is full.

A small area within the huge 512 x 512 map impacts no one.

Its a good suggestion.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2002, 02:43:53 PM »
SW... the point is.... early war aficianados will have no use for perk points since their planes are free anyway but if you have a perk system then you will be assured of ALLWAYS haveing late war planes availavble to ruin your enjoyment of early planes.   Seeing more early war planes does nothing for early war fans if they still run into late war monsters..
lazs

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2002, 02:59:53 PM »
There's always going to be late war monsters, even with the area idea... unless you seperate the different eras by those gigantic walls you were talking about.

Then it's like 3 different wars going on at the same time.. mine as well make 9 different countries, each a different color, 3 in each area with early, mid and late war planes.

But then how do you decide when the map resets? Every 3 days? Every time one of the areas resets?

What happens when no one wants to play in the early war arena? You won't be happy.

What happens when no one plays in the mid war area? Someone else won't be happy.

What happens when no one plays in the late war area? More people won't be happy.

What's the best way to keep everyone happy? Give added incentive for early war rides, while at the same time keeping late war rides for those that need... err want to fly 'em...
-SW

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2002, 03:00:29 PM »
perk system works IMO but it needs improvement.

I think the idea of resetting perks each tour has some merrit.
At least that would get rid of the perk monsters (players with tons of perkies).
RPS is great except it forces players to fly certain planes at certain times.

Incorporating Strat into the deal makes more sense IMO.

we'd need something like this:  
perk factories to bomb (factories that build perk planes)
once they were hit no more perk planes for that country until rebuilt.  More work for buffs that way too. (and for intercepting those buffs!)

maybe start each tour with a set number of perkies for each player.

just ideas, nothing concrete yet

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2002, 03:22:53 PM »
It won't work Yeager.   Period.

There is always going to be a "fastest" plane that will BnZ the  turnfighters and "refuse to fight".

If you make everything past 1942 a perk, you don't change the tactics in the arena, you just change which icons you see.

In this case (depending on when in 1942 to early 1943 you choose) you just see 190A5's, F4U-1's, or even the P-40.

Your only solution is a RPS, and even that won't work because still there is a "Fastest" plane.  And a RPS would drive a large part of the population away from the game.

I suggest the CT

Offline aac

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2002, 03:34:57 PM »
While they are at it , make it so you can give some perk points to your squad/flying mates.  I have a ton of them and very seldom use them,  the only time I ever use any at all, is if someone I am flying with wants to up in a perk plane then I will go with them.  I have a lot of friends that would like to fly the perk planes but don't have the perks and I could give them what they need if implemented.