Author Topic: Warbirds Sitrep for this week...New stuff...  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Warbirds Sitrep for this week...New stuff...
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2000, 07:45:00 AM »
Go easy on HEDU, guys, he has flown AH and flys WB's, I would imagine that the only thing that keeps him from going 100% AH is lack of consistant Scenario lites, HA and most of his squad is in WB's.  He's really a good guy.

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
Meetings..
Unless they are explicit necessary I refuse to waiste my time on them.Mail me, phone me, talk to me, just dont strangel me with meetings.

Just had to make a point ;0)

Of course Im not in the software\gaming business and anyways have the option to say no.

danish

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2000, 08:02:00 AM »
I hate this discord between sims.  

I am interested in any WWI or WWII product. That interest doesn't mean I will stop using one product or another, but I am naturally interested in any sim that comes. For that reason I don't take any offense whatsoever from Hedu's (or anyone's) post that gives information on a product for the purpose of informing about the product. Hedu did that, and should be cut a little slack.

What we are doing here is exactly what many of us have accused other boards of doing- vilifying anyone that discusses another product. We can do better than this.  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2000, 08:13:00 AM »

Originally posted by Kieren:
I hate this discord between sims.  

What we are doing here is exactly what many of us have accused other boards of doing- vilifying anyone that discusses another product. We can do better than this.  

Let me translate what Rip reads...lets not turn this BB into what AGW has turned into by a minority of posters there.  Keep it friendly, talk about what you like and dislike, but don't get personal.  

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2000, 10:15:00 AM »
Well, I quit a multi-national conglomerate last year because of all the meetings.  I went to work for a small locally owned firm in the same industry and I am kicking the conglomerate's ASS.  Guess they are still in all those useless meetings while I am out taking their customers.

Hitech, I wasn't slamming you, but if the "community" means nothing, why do you encourage it, via this board?  I know that it costs a little to keep it running, and I am sure the aggravation generated by it is considerable, but so is the good will and good ideas that flow from it.

Lizking

+vadr+

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
hehe,

I once worked with a Boss who would get up and walk out of a meeting after 30 minutes. Every time.

The first few times it happened, it really caused chaos on the staff. After about the 5th time it happened, we were having VERY productive meetings.

Harsh, but very effective.  

Pyro said:

They can help it grow or do the exact opposite, but that's the extent of it.

The line you draw here is a fine one, and is the exact same one that hedu draws with his 'Community' remark.

You can look at iEN's mis-management of late and see a prime example of how a company can shrink it's community (and it's revenue). You can then go over to Playnet and watch a company working hard to help build a community around it's product (with as yet unseen results).

Warbirds is still a very viable PRODUCT, but as evidenced here, the company has lost a lot of business because it didn't manage it's community very well. WWIIOL will undoubtedly get off to a great start, just because of effective community building efforts. Whether it remains viable will be in accordance with your comments about quality of product.

There are a lot of people who still fly Warbirds only because of the Community-supported events like S3's and SL's. If those events went away, they would probably already be out of business. By properly leveraging this mythical 'Community', companies can add value to their products far in excess of their available resources.

Maybe I really don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about, but I think there are lessons to be learned in both cases.

Not meant as an attack on anyone or anything. I'm learning to fly AH and enjoying myself in the process.

------------------
Vadr
III/JG 2 'Richthofen'

[This message has been edited by +vadr+ (edited 06-12-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
Well said Vadr.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2000, 10:38:00 AM »

Guess they are still in all those useless meetings while I am out talking their customers.

Some meetings are very productive, others are not.  They are necessary to an extent... but they shouldn't be your job.  The wierd thing is... no matter how good the meeting, I have yet to add it as a "bullet" to any performance review I have ever done. "Had a really good meeting" sounds more like "wasn't working".  You'd think iEN would know this by now.

Hitech, I wasn't slamming you, but if the "community" means nothing, why do you encourage it, via this board?

I don't believe I got the same thing out of Pyro's post that you did.  I believe he was reffering more to the use of the term.. not to the people.  The community is another word for "customer" when used by iEN or HTC... anyone who says different is blowing smoke up orrifaces that should be exit only.

AKDejaVu

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
Nobody said the community wasn't important.  It is the end goal, but that goal can only be sustained by having a good product.  Otherwise, you don't have a community, you have a ghost town.

As for meetings, that statement was just a famous witticism.  Like most witticisms, it is very often true, but not absolute.  Of course some meetings are necessary and productive, but then again many aren't.

Personally, I have nothing against having frequent meetings.  As long they're optional, after-hours, and held at a bar.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Most plans are just inaccurate predictions.

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »
This is why the majority of us at HTC have beer bellies.  

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"Happiness is a warm gun momma" - The Beatles
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

+vadr+

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2000, 12:02:00 PM »

Personally, I have nothing against having frequent meetings. As long they're optional, after-hours, and held at a bar.

Hear! Hear!

Edit:

The community is another word for "customer"

True statement, and you can do that substitution throughout this thread.

------------------
Vadr
III/JG 2 'Richthofen'

[This message has been edited by +vadr+ (edited 06-12-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2000, 12:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by SUPERFLY:
This is why the majority of us at HTC have beer bellies.      

I get this aweful vision of Superfly in a G-String in about 10 years from now, reaching in the back of his proverbial "Texas Pick Up" for another beer....

Thks Deja, didnt know it was that big!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 06-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 06-12-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2000, 01:36:00 PM »
Hey Rip.. think ya can fix that pic?  Its a little too large for 99.9% of the resolutions being used today.

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
Rip, I hate trucks with a passion.  I drive a VW beetle, so getting into that would be especially hard to imagine with such enormous gut.    But hey, I'm working my gut off.  Gotta look good for the honeys.  

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"Happiness is a warm gun momma" - The Beatles
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting