Author Topic: Discourteous Kill Mongering on the Rise?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Discourteous Kill Mongering on the Rise?
« on: December 10, 2002, 12:30:34 PM »
Kill mongers, their numbers are growing and it’s reflected in the general lack of courtesy displayed to countrymates. Last evening I witnessed an extraordinary amount of kill stealing and generally bad manners. Twice I saw guys shoot off the tail of an enemy fighter, only to have a horde of Rook teammates rush in and gun the falling wreckage. They literally took turns trying to steal the kill. In both cases the kill was in fact swiped from the guy who deserved it. In addition, at least one guy killshootered himself trying to shoot thru my La-5 to get at my target, then squeaked about it. A bit later, I was covering a Rook in a good 1v1 with a P-51. Finally, he shoots off the Mustang’s wingtip and it falls off into a spin. Before it hot the ground, no less than 4 Rooks made gun runs at the dying P-51. For me the last straw came when a horde of Rooks violated the unwritten courtesy of not interfering with a sustained 1v1 unless asked. I had been engaged by a 190, which made a series of diving attacks on my La-5. Gradually, I broke down his E, finally forcing the 190 into a rolling scissors. My typical method of thwarting a scissors is to pull the nose high and roll inverted, snapshooting as he crosses my path. Unable to force an overshoot, the 190 stalls and snap rolls to the right. As I drop in for the killing shot, 3 or 4 Rooks roar in and explode the helpless and damaged 190, with my La-5 barely 100 yards astern.

With this last act of theft, or at least, discourtesy, I went elsewhere and managed to find several 1v1 fights where there were no kill mongering hordes waiting to pounce on easy kills. I’ve observed this same behavior by several Bishops too. While defending a field in an Osti, I watched a Rook and Bish pilot duke it out just south of the field. In this case, the Rook was flying a P-47 and the Bishop a Bf 109. Finally, the Bish pilot gained the advantage. However, before he could finish off the Jug, two Bish P-51s raced in and clobbered the smoking P-47. Kill mongers, unconcerned that someone else had worked hard for that kill. For the record, I was tickled to kill one of the thieving P-51s when he flew too close to my Ostwind. I'm quite sure this is a common problem in all three countries.

I am increasingly alarmed by the growing rabid “dog pack” mentality, which is why I am spending more and more time in the CT. This seems to be quite common among new players. I have found that the “old hands” rarely impose themselves unwanted, and generally ask if you need help before rolling into a 1v1.

In contrast, I spent some time flying at A83 (pizza map) last night. Here, there was no kill stealing and everyone worked together very well. I did note that everyone there fell under the category of “old hand”.

Maybe it’s just me, but I seem to recall that courtesy was much more common 10-12 months ago than it is today.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 12:44:04 PM »
none of that is new ...........

do a search on "100 Check 6 calls if you steal 1 more of my kills"........

Killstealing is always been a problem in ah..............

Offline Strange

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 12:49:27 PM »
I 2nd that.. Or the stupid SOB's that cross into your fire.....and being in a jug =death or loss of a wing.  Which has happened to me on many of occasion.

For once I'd love to have Kill shooter off..

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 12:57:54 PM »
Widewing thats a big Amen. Since we have vox these guys could at least ask if u need help with ur enemy.
Thats what i do all the time before engaging an enemy.
If my country men says no i try to cover his fight and stay out.
Freeze

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 01:25:08 PM »
the only problem I have is with the dweebs that take too long to kill other dweebs....thats when I come in at 400+ and steal it away from him:D

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 01:45:45 PM »
As a dweeb, thanks SLO.  :P

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 01:55:42 PM »
Widewing, I know what you are saying, but I have to say that experience hasn't changed of late. This sounds like stuff that happens to me all the time and I've resolved not to complain about it because life is too short.

Though when someone hurtles in front of me as a I make a killing shot and I get killshot I'll log to avoid saying anything more stupid than usual on Chan 1.

palef
Retired

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 02:00:02 PM »
Horde Warrior...
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline AKSnake

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 02:10:32 PM »
Now that there is a bounty on kills, it can only get worse. Guess we just can't let it bother us. Even if you announce a "kilt" plane on VOX, they will still do it. Just try to kill 'em a little closer to the ground, less time for a theft that way. :)
AKSnake

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2002, 02:15:51 PM »
As long as I can steal Rudes kills its no big deal to me.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 02:23:40 PM »
Wide, I'm not an old hand but I too moved over to 83.  Watching that tail-less p51 get mauled like a nightcrawler is a pack of bluegills was kinda sad, even after it was announced on vox and ch2 that the pony was dead.  I don't know what got into rooks (was it at 73?) but I left the area quickly for better hunting.  Best thing about being a rook, it's easy to find an are where you're outnumbered so you never have a dearth of targets.  It may be bad form but if I see a 1v1 where the enemy has help on the way, I may swoop in and pop the bad guy, explaining myself after the fact. Yes, I cherry pick..but then I'm a no-skill dweeb...ask anyone  lol.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 02:28:36 PM »
That sort of stuff has happened for a long while now, it isn't caused by the 'contest'.  It may be affected by the contest, I don't know.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 02:34:22 PM »
Shooting a dieing plane is silly, but i have to take issue with this:

For me the last straw came when a horde of Rooks violated the unwritten courtesy of not interfering with a sustained 1v1 unless asked.

What the hell are you talking about? If you want a 1-1 go to the dueling arena. If I see a fellow countryman locked up with an enemy plane I will assist him. I don't see it as stealing the kill. In fact I hope i can help him get the kill. If not, an enemy is dead and that is the point isn't it?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 03:30:19 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Shooting a dieing plane is silly, but i have to take issue with this:

What the hell are you talking about? If you want a 1-1 go to the dueling arena. If I see a fellow countryman locked up with an enemy plane I will assist him. I don't see it as stealing the kill. In fact I hope i can help him get the kill. If not, an enemy is dead and that is the point isn't it?

Actually, the "point" is to enjoy one's self.

What if your countryman doesn't want your help? What if he prefers to fight it out alone? Do you offer your assistance and then respect his wishes? Some guys just want an opportunity to live or die by their own actions. Should he lose, then the bad guy is all yours, right? Believe me, should I need help, I'll be yelling over the vox! :D

Seriously, why should someone have to got to the DA just to enjoy a 1v1 without every Tom, Dick and Harry converging from all over the sector trying to grab the kill? Geez guys, go find your own fight!

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 03:42:49 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Re: Discourteous Kill Mongering on the Rise?
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2002, 03:52:47 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Kill mongers, their numbers are growing and it’s reflected in the general lack of courtesy displayed to countrymates. Last evening I witnessed an extraordinary amount of kill stealing and generally bad manners. Twice I saw guys shoot off the tail of an enemy fighter, only to have a horde of Rook teammates rush in and gun the falling wreckage. They literally took turns trying to steal the kill. In both cases the kill was in fact swiped from the guy who deserved it. In addition, at least one guy killshootered himself trying to shoot thru my La-5 to get at my target, then squeaked about it. A bit later, I was covering a Rook in a good 1v1 with a P-51. Finally, he shoots off the Mustang’s wingtip and it falls off into a spin. Before it hot the ground, no less than 4 Rooks made gun runs at the dying P-51. For me the last straw came when a horde of Rooks violated the unwritten courtesy of not interfering with a sustained 1v1 unless asked. I had been engaged by a 190, which made a series of diving attacks on my La-5. Gradually, I broke down his E, finally forcing the 190 into a rolling scissors. My typical method of thwarting a scissors is to pull the nose high and roll inverted, snapshooting as he crosses my path. Unable to force an overshoot, the 190 stalls and snap rolls to the right. As I drop in for the killing shot, 3 or 4 Rooks roar in and explode the helpless and damaged 190, with my La-5 barely 100 yards astern.

With this last act of theft, or at least, discourtesy, I went elsewhere and managed to find several 1v1 fights where there were no kill mongering hordes waiting to pounce on easy kills. I’ve observed this same behavior by several Bishops too. While defending a field in an Osti, I watched a Rook and Bish pilot duke it out just south of the field. In this case, the Rook was flying a P-47 and the Bishop a Bf 109. Finally, the Bish pilot gained the advantage. However, before he could finish off the Jug, two Bish P-51s raced in and clobbered the smoking P-47. Kill mongers, unconcerned that someone else had worked hard for that kill. For the record, I was tickled to kill one of the thieving P-51s when he flew too close to my Ostwind. I'm quite sure this is a common problem in all three countries.

I am increasingly alarmed by the growing rabid “dog pack” mentality, which is why I am spending more and more time in the CT. This seems to be quite common among new players. I have found that the “old hands” rarely impose themselves unwanted, and generally ask if you need help before rolling into a 1v1.

In contrast, I spent some time flying at A83 (pizza map) last night. Here, there was no kill stealing and everyone worked together very well. I did note that everyone there fell under the category of “old hand”.

Maybe it’s just me, but I seem to recall that courtesy was much more common 10-12 months ago than it is today.

My regards,

Widewing

That does not happen in Bishland....we are respectful and courteous of our fellow countrymates. The typical kill in Bishland goes something like this........

Fellow Player: Rude....you got him?

Rude: Rgr...I can pull off if you'de like the kill.

Fellow Player: Oh no...that's alright...you saddled up first.

Rude: Are you sure....I wouldn't mind a bit...there's plenty of whiney rooks and knits to go around.

Fellow Player: Well, if you don't mind.

Rude: Absolutely not...I'll get the next one.

Now ya see....wouldn't ya rather be a Bishop? Style and substance, all the while kickin tail and takin names.

What a country!