Author Topic: Collision model SUX  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Collision model SUX
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2004, 01:00:16 PM »
http://errthum.com/troy/warbirds/tests/netlag.html

Take 5 minutes to read & comprehend what he's saying.

Was written for Warbirds but is just a valid for Aces High.

Also has link to Hoofs original article on lag.

Offline MadMan

• Copper Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2004, 12:17:23 PM »
I find it amazing that the collision model is a LEGIT problem that many people have a right to complain about, but HTC decides to take away night time for apparently no reason at all.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2004, 01:25:50 PM »
I'm starting to think that the collision model is as good as it's going to be due to the constraints of net lag..... I'm learning.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2004, 01:34:19 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
I'm starting to think that the collision model is as good as it's going to be due to the constraints of net lag..... I'm learning.

Cool, back to using the modem again then. lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2004, 01:35:17 PM »
LOL Ded, not exactly what I meant. :)
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline MadMan

• Copper Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2004, 11:33:55 PM »
Originally posted by Steve

Or they could disable collisions all together, or make it so that both planes go down, to make it fair...  not very fair to me to go down in flames and the other guy keep flying merrily on his way.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Collision model SUX
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2004, 02:01:57 AM »
Steve I think it's his lapsus for brain ;-(

I find it amazing that the collision model is a LEGIT problem that many people have a right to complain about, but HTC decides to take away night time for apparently no reason at all.
-MM

1) night is question of taste, since there is no feasible way to measure majority, it's not a defined problem to devise a specialized solution for. And it's not such a big deal <- tho a dev shouldn't suffice himself to conclude that - HT cuts pretty simply across the only effective problem, the whining.

2) the netlag problem is well defined and the most efficient solution is the one we already have.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline MadMan

• Copper Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2004, 02:14:10 AM »
Yes the netlag problem is well defined, no one has ever said it isn't.  I just find that there are two options available that are better than the current:

1) Disable collisions, neither plane is destroyed
2) Have BOTH planes destroyed

The current one is flawed: A collison in which one plane is destoyed and the other suffers no damage.  You cannot say that is the BEST solution.  And it sure is not the fairest.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Collision model SUX
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2004, 05:05:12 AM »
they're all flawed because they all have a flawed internet connection in common. but one is the least flawed effectively:

1) no collisions is not right, that'd mean some tactical loopholes that are probably enough to disqualify this one outright. What's strange is this has not yet been removed from GV modeling, where it's even bigger a loophole.

2) both planes systematically destroyed would mean making players responsible for some other guy's flying, which is just not right, again. You never see where the other player-driven objects really are and thus can't rely on just that.  Unless, if netlag was actually predictable and possible to learn, you did, but that wouldn't be much of a 'simulation', and that's not the case: at the scale where planes are likely to touch, netlag is too large to count on acting one way or another.

3) a system where you are only responsible for what you see is flawed by principle but actually gives the best results, considering most internet connections are good enough.  

The only common case that should frankly piss off a player is nearly hovering around an opponent on his FE, and for this opponent to maneuver real close (by design since you are trying to bet everything on your outstalling him right at the edge of his ballistics cone) and ram the player by lag from what was initially a safe distance.  
In this case the opponent's a 'guilty' rammer: he was the only one with any maneuvering ability, but walks away while the first guy who let his anchor out is sunk by netlag. That's your gamble as a player.  Once you have some experience, it's second nature to know what's risky and what's not, and how much risk you want to take; and it's really not so much a handicap compared to real life lagless conditions to come close enough to making this system worse than the other two.

The case of rabbid warping is not too common, and even less that of a player taking advantage of it.  You're quickly asked to fix your connection by witnesses and reported if abusing it.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you