Author Topic: Collision model SUX  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« on: June 02, 2003, 11:07:05 PM »
It is the worst part of an otherwise excellent game.  That they don't do something to make it better is a source of frustration for me.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 11:14:50 PM »
Its not my fault you collided with my cannon fire...hehe

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 11:29:14 PM »
I agree Steve, it dont seem to be consistant, last week I wrecked 3 times in a hour and thismorning I flew right through a plane like he was my drone and he died and I had no damage. I would like to see the gunery changed alittle, getting kills 800 900 yards dont seem right. When I watch them old ww2 films seems there alot closer than 800 yards out. Ive seen discusions about this but its just my opinon. Thats what makes this game feel gamey to me.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 11:35:37 PM »
I disagree.

I think killshooter/killbomber is the worst.
sand

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 11:35:51 PM »
Since we can't all play on the same computer. What else can they do? I think its fair considering lag and what they have to deal with.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 11:41:59 PM »
Me likey killshooter, killbomber, and the collision code.  They're perfect solutions to an imperfect world.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 11:49:05 PM »
Ya, the killshooter thing is horrible too..  I really enjoy playing the game, but either of these  things rearing an ugly head quickly detracts from my pleasure.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 12:18:02 AM »
Think of an alternative then and suggest it.

Of course you may have to learn C++ first and then go get a degree in networking with a minor in aeronautical engineering.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 01:10:03 AM »
Originally posted by Swoop
Think of an alternative then and suggest it.

They can de-select Killshooter just as they do in CT set ups.

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Collision model SUX
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 01:39:12 AM »
The best way to avoid killshooter is to be sure of your shot.  It's like HO's, it takes two.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Re: Collision model SUX
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 02:04:43 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
It is the worst part of an otherwise excellent game.  That they don't do something to make it better is a source of frustration for me.

Do you have an alternative in mind?

For my part, every collision death I suffer is preceded by "oh ****, I'm gonna hit him."  Sometimes the guy I hit flies away; sometimes he dies.  

In my mind, it is extremely fair for you to die if you see the collision.

Am I missing something here?

curly

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 02:53:43 AM »
The collision system in AH is the only viable collision system given the time delay inherent in the internet.

I just don't see how you guys have so much trouble with killshooter and collisions.  I've been a subscriber since v1.03 and on Sunday last I had my fourth aircraft loss from killshooter.  I'm averaging less than two killshooter deaths per year.  I collide more often, but it doesn't bother me at all that only I get penalized for my collisions, after all it was on my FE and so only I could see the collision and try to avoid it.

Imagine if you died due to colliding with an aircraft that was 250 yards away from you on your FE.  That is what it would look like 50% of the time if both people died when one FE reported a collision.  That would frusterate me as I would have died due to something I could not have avoided and had no way of knowing I needed to avoid.

If both FEs must see the collision for the collision to occur there will essentially be no collisions anymore.

Tactics to be derived from this involve things like intentionally flying through the target aircraft while firing as it is impossible to miss from one foot away from the target. This is not a small change and it would not be rare.

Another effect would be the switch to free form manuvering without regard to the proximity of your airframe to the enemies airframe. It would remove one of things that a combat pilot in a close dogfight needed to track from the game.

This kind of change in tactics essentially destroys any and all simulation of real world tactics. The rules have been changed so much that it is no longer a simulation of WWII air combat tactics.

Personally I have no interest in flying in an environment in which the need to avoid collisions is not part of the tactics used.

Killshooter is needed to enforce a semblance of fire disappline.  It isn't perfect by anymeans, but at least it forces people to not shoot through their team mates to get kills in a manner totally foreign to WWII air combat.

Keep your SA up in regards to both friendlies and enemies positions and likely headings.  It helps avoind both collisions and killshooter, even when a dweeb cuts in front of you.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 04:38:54 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
They can de-select Killshooter just as they do in CT set ups.

Widewing

Ok, and then what do you do about all the SATAN666s and gunman26s who fly around killing friendlies?  See it's not just a matter of turning it off, you gotta suggest an alternative.

Why no-one has suggested a killshooter system that merely ignores all damage to friendlies and doesnt redirect it back to the shooter is beyond me.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 04:42:30 AM by Swoop »

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
Collision model SUX
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 04:53:05 AM »
Don't have a problem with killshooter. On collisions I think it'd be best if both planes went down every time - period. Flame away... ;)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2003, 05:25:55 AM »
Hey BNM,

just curious..... why?  and how would you respond to Karnak's argument that you could be killed by an enemy ramming you on his FE while on yours you avoided him?