Author Topic: v1.04r1....The Good and the Bad...my opinion only  (Read 851 times)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
v1.04r1....The Good and the Bad...my opinion only
« on: September 19, 2000, 08:38:00 AM »
The Good:

Really like the new quick responsiveness of all planes.  I managed a 7 kill run last night, of course engaging only on "My Time, My Terms, My Ground".  They were made up of classic bounces to some great T&B down low and dirty scraps.  Great fun, something I've been missing from AH for a while now.  I've been getting 80-84 FPS normally and 50+ FPS in heavy traffic, smoke, clouds and near airfields while running at 1280x1024 (32 bit color) and Vsync ON.  Incredible graphics and sense of immersion at these levels of detail.

I don't really care whether it's authentic or realistic, but I simply find v1.04r1 more FUN from an entertainment point of view.

Combat Trim is definitely a "dumbing" down of the pilot's cockpit management tasks, but I could care less as it is a feature that will definitely retain more players who try the game out, just as auto take-off should do.  As a result, it will help HTC as a business reach critical revenue mass sooner.  Personally, I have turned it OFF as I feel I have more control over the plane then when it's ON, plus subconsciously I think I have an edge over the guy who flies with it ON.  Even if this isn't true, it helps my confidence during engagements and pushes me to fly the edge of the envelope.

<S> HTC for the overall improvement of the game with this release. To me, it is just a game for relaxation and I think your balancing of playability with immersion is close enough for my purposes, albeit, I would still like an additional permanent arena of just 2 sides, WWII based RPS and not have to fight the same aircraft type.

The Bad:

Not really v1.04r1 related, but I think there's some stress fractures in the social aspects of our community.

I do get really tired of the dysfunctional, arrogant and childish behavior on Channel 1.  I realize that a lot of the swearing and immature behavior does come from kids with mom's credit card, but I wish HTC would grant "monitor" rights to some of the more mature individuals on-line, so they could exercise good judgment and after proper warnings to evict these characters.  They demean the game and all of us, by sending signals to prospective sign-ups that this is the general character and value set of this community, which of course it isn't.

I also wish that some of the on-line Ace and self appointed vocal BBS pilots, would set better examples of community spiritual leadership, both on-line and on this medium.  Many look up to you guys and learn from your examples.  It isn't just about being a "hot stick" when you're flying and fighting.  Your talent comes with some additional responsibility to provide leadership, whether you want the role or not.  It goes hand in hand with your extraordinary skill sets.  The seemingly endless "I quit" and "I apologize" threads on here, plus some of the embarrassing antics of vets on-line, do diminish my personal enjoyment of AH and I assume some others feel that way as well.  I don't think it's a major thing overcome, but it will hurt the community if we all don't stop and think a little more before we type.

Just some random thoughts from an old "road kill" badger.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2000, 08:53:00 AM »
"...set better examples of community spiritual leadership, both on-line and on this medium. Many look up to you guys and learn from your examples. Your talent comes with some additional responsibility to provide leadership, whether you want the role or not."

Oh brother...

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2000, 09:00:00 AM »
WELL SAID!!!!!!

Maik
<JG54 Grünherz>

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2000, 09:01:00 AM »
When you say you turn it "OFF" (CT), do you still get the green CT light on inside the cockpit when you use auto-pilot level?  I do, not sure if this is supposed to work this way...I've never mapped the CT so I assume it is off...any thoughts?

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2000, 09:06:00 AM »
Rip,

Under setup you can set CT to never come on.

Sharky

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2000, 09:14:00 AM »
Thks Sharky, guess I should have read up on it more...DOH!

Offline Wrek

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2000, 09:16:00 AM »
Rip if the CT is glowing then its enabled. You need to go into setup, under flight I believe it was and disable it.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2000, 09:17:00 AM »

Originally posted by Creamo:
"...set better examples of community spiritual leadership, both on-line and on this medium. Many look up to you guys and learn from your examples. Your talent comes with some additional responsibility to provide leadership, whether you want the role or not."

Oh brother...

Hi creamo.. <S>

Yup...it is pretty old fashion isn't it....

But, I guess you'd also find value sets like "duty, honor, courage" I learned from 17 years of service pretty disturbing as well.

Sorry it doesn't fit with your value sets or ideas of what society should be....

I'm sure your generation will be an improvement over whatever old guys like me have left as a legacy, with whatever values flourish from "Fatty's Mom's Bedroom".  

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
When you say you turn it "OFF" (CT), do you still get the green CT light on inside the cockpit when you use auto-pilot level?  I do, not sure if this is supposed to work this way...I've never mapped the CT so I assume it is off...any thoughts?

Hi Rispnort... <S>

Good question rip....

I found that using the toggle key as defined under "setup keyboard" didn't work the way I wanted it to, as it simply came back ON (turn GREEN) as soon as I used an "auto trim" sequence like ALT X for example.  Instead, I went into the flight options and permanently pressed the combat trim button OFF and now it doesn't seem to ever turn ON (GREEN) anymore.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 09-19-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2000, 09:26:00 AM »
I'm voting for Badger as the lodge boss!  

Well said (<S> and a <nod> ). And lately I'm constantly examining my own behavior (here and when online) and trying to bring it more in sync with what I myself would like to see.  It's a work in progress  

-Westy

p.s.  Was nice flying off your wing for a sorty the other day  

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 09-19-2000).]

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2000, 09:45:00 AM »
Sayeth Badger "I wish HTC would grant "monitor" rights to some of the more mature individuals on-line".

I asked HTC the very same in a private email last week. Have never received a response. It is my understanding that HTC is hoping that the community will police itself. That will never happen. I spent 15 years as a law enforcement officer. Personal responsibility and behaviour as deemed proper by a community are concepts that some just do not get.

------------------
Apache
=XO= VMF-323 Death Rattlers
VMF 323 Death Rattlers Web Site

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2000, 09:52:00 AM »
While I would like to see some of the juvenile behavior in AH curbed, I think the monitor idea is a bad one.  I'm sure that there are some players who I'd trust with such power, but there's only one that I can think of right now.....  

Seriously, I think the monitor would be in a very tough position trying to be fair, and not generate more bad feelings than the behavior he/she is trying to control.

We have squelch.  Make the squelch list permanent, and the problem is pretty much solved.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Arrrrg, where you get duty honor or courage in a computer game...phooey. Why everyone should go to a Promise Keeper Tent Gathering before playing a war game I do not know.

...and I also bet there are guys that would enjoy being those "Monitors" much more than the game itself.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2000, 10:10:00 AM »

Originally posted by Apache:
....I asked HTC the very same in a private email last week. Have never received a response.

I understand the issues from both sides.  We tried to discuss this several months ago with Pyro under some separate marketing threads, about potentially utilizing moderators here on the BBS, as well as more on-line help as an extension to their small in-house staff.  Both the membership and Pyro felt that it would place to many people unnecessarily between them and their customers.

I agree with what there saying, but simply by judging the recent unregulated on-line and BBS behavior that easily exceeds HTC's own published "Terms of Service" guidelines, I would have thought they'd have revisited their decision.

In any event, I simply spend a lot of time typing in real time a squelch list as needed.  In the absence of a moderator on the BBS, I wish there was a similar personalized "squelch" function for this BBS, in order to skip over some of the trite we wade through to get to some real substance.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2000, 10:20:00 AM »

Originally posted by Creamo:
...and I also bet there are guys that would enjoy being those "Monitors" much more than the game itself.

You're absolutely correct, it is a delicate balance between agendas and personalities.  I'm sure we have both seen it done well, but also very badly.  The trick is the right people in the right job.  Guys like Kieren, Vadr, FunkedUp and many others come to mind as being low on ego, but high on good judgment.

As far as the rest, as a real life pilot chatting with a good aircraft mechanic, I think you understood my meaning.......

I'll leave it at that....

Thanks for your feedback..... <S>

Regards,
Badger

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 09-19-2000).]

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2000, 10:22:00 AM »
I guess I am an old fart too Badger.

I know it is a game,....and the graphics and all the associated peripherals are only mechanical gadgets employed to make it all work,...but the people are real.

As such, I think it only prudent to show respect and excercise some level of discipline in how I interact with those real people.

Maybe those concepts are old fashioned, but they have served me well over my life.  I like to think the people I interact with here have respect for me as a person.  Lord knows, I am not the best pilot around.

I learned early in my career that "burning bridges" is not a good idea, for you never know when you might actually need the help of one of those you might have offended.

Or as one of my mentors liked to say, "Short term thinking, will lead to long term problems".

With all the recent talk about how players act online,..doesn't it really boil down to a very simple question?
How do I want to be treated by these people?  Ask yourself that question before you type the next line in the text buffer.

Respect can be granted, but then has to be kept.  I do not think it is much to ask anyone, but then...that is just how I work.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com