Author Topic: Enough is Enough!  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2003, 12:09:01 PM »
here is a better one then.

Thomas Paine:
"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)."

see they did believe in god though!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2003, 12:27:29 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
hey eagler im 4th generation atheist. My family has never had anyone put in jail or devorced. except one. My uncle who became a born again and refuses to talk to my grandmother anymore for not raiseing him to believe in religion. After he found "god" he has been through 2 devorces(only one in our family's history) and spent some time in jail.

thanks for proving my point
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2003, 12:31:11 PM »
That said, I also believe that our forefathers founded this country as "One Nation, UNDER God" It is written into our "Pledge of Allegiance"
Bodhi

Confusing the Pledge of Allegiance with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (let me guess, you haven’t read either?) is a great way to start the discussion. In the next environmental debate I think I’ll pull out “America the Beautiful” as a source.

Where are these same lawyers when I see that imbecile with 60 piercings hanging out of his/her face, and Tee Shirt blaring to the world "I hate God", or "***** the World"... those things offend me, how come they aren't removed from my sight? Why, because I am able to turn a blind eye to those actions, behaviors, and opinions.
When another American burns a flag, it turns my stomach, but I am not allowed to stop it... why, because it is their right to expression. SO I am forced to turn a blind eye.
Bodhi

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like if you weren’t “forced” to turn a blind eye you would be more than happy to see their freedom of expression eradicated. It’s a good thing we live in America with its many freedoms. And be thankful that you live in a country where others are forced to respect your rights, since we too have to turn a blind eye to disagreeable expression.

It shows the children that not only will we turn a blind eye to God, and not defend him, but it shows we will back the denial of his existence.
Bodhi

As opposed to showing children that the Christian god is the one true god, and you had better get used to it?

As for the 20% that do not acknowledge the Old Testament, learn to look away, and leave it that. Because I for one, am tired of having to conform to a minorities petty antics aimed at governing how I live my life. Enough is Enough. It is time for those that believe in what I have said to stand up for what they believe in and take this country back from those that are ripping it apart.
Bodhi

Did you write this yourself Bodhi, or did you pull it from one of Herr Goebbels speeches? The tone, and even the language sound the same. You keep some good company with the majority rules arguments found in the Former Soviet Union, Communist China, Nazi Germany, Iran, the Taliban... Not to suggest that you would support some kind of Final Solution for these undesirable elements, but would marginalization, scorn and discrimination be too far off?

strange how these same ppl categorize anyone who believes in God a "religious, right wing nutcase, Pat Robertson clone"…

I would want the judge removed if he did not believe in a Higher Power than himself
Eagler

No comment needed

Why is it that the people in the gay thread preaching about tolerance and acceptance are the same people in this thread preaching about intolerance for somethign else? Are you only tolerant of behavior that you dont see a problem with? Being tolerant of something suggests that whatever you are tolerant of is something you disagree with. I disagree with homosexuality, but Im tolerant of it. I dont go knocking down doors of the local gay population and try and catch them pushing their **** in. I let them do what they like - Im tolerant.
Saurdaukar

I have worked with a homosexual, for a Jehovah’s Witness and had an evangelical working for me. The only one of the three that didn’t try to “convert” me was the homosexual. For a true believer, in the old school evangelical sense,
prostelizing is a key tenant of the faith. Those who support the Judge are being, at the very least, dishonest in not acknowledging this basic fact. His comments make it clear that his intention is along those lines. So why not come out in the open and say, “Is there anything wrong with helping people find the one true path?” instead of trying to dance around the issue. As for my personal tolerance, I had no problem allowing the evangelical keep her “is this a choice” photo of a fetus on her cubical. However, I did have a problem with her leaving Bible Tracts on my chair.

our laws are a by product of the ten commandments - sorry - that is history
Eagler

As I believe MT pointed out in the other thread, only about two of them are – stealing and murder. I don’t think it took the 10 Commandments to determine that those are not acceptable behaviors. Perhaps he should put a stature with Liviticus in the courtroom?

For Apache and Ra, some counter positions from our founding fathers. Many were in fact masons, which believe in good deeds and spirituality, but not really in organized religion. In fact, evangelicals have a problem with Masons "Is Masonry a religion? Former Mason, William Schnoebelen, author of Masonry, Beyond the Light, quotes from two high-level masons, Albert Pike and Albert Mackey. Pike states: "Every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instructions in religion." Mackey removes all doubt for the Bible believer: "The religion of Masonry is not Christianity."
In a sermon of October 1831, Episcopalian minister Bird Wilson said, "Among all of our Presidents, from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."

Thomas Jefferson:
"I have examined all the known superstitions of the word, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth."

John Adams:
"The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli. Article 11 states:
"The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

Thomas Paine:
"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)."

"Among the most detestable villains in history, you could not find one worse than Moses. Here is an order, attributed to 'God' to butcher the boys, to massacre the mothers and to debauch and rape the daughters. I would not dare so dishonor my Creator's name by (attaching) it to this filthy book (the Bible)."

James Madison:
"What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy."

Madison objected to state-supported chaplains in Congress and to the exemption of churches from taxation. He wrote:
"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."

Charon
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 12:33:52 PM by Charon »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2003, 12:43:50 PM »
Well thank god both sides of my family have a good share of church-goers, or I'd surely be a horrible horrible person.  It's not fear of an imaginary father figure in the sky that keeps me from doing wrong, Eagler, it's the fact that I'm a good person.  If you're a bad guy by nature who would do evil things were it not for your fear of punishment when you die, then I guess I'm glad you believe in God.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2003, 12:52:14 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
Well thank god both sides of my family have a good share of church-goers, or I'd surely be a horrible horrible person.  It's not fear of an imaginary father figure in the sky that keeps me from doing wrong, Eagler, it's the fact that I'm a good person.  If you're a bad guy by nature who would do evil things were it not for your fear of punishment when you die, then I guess I'm glad you believe in God.

SOB

No SOB

my thought is you have grown up under the influence of others that do/did believe in a Higher Power. If you have kids and raise them godless, they may not turn out as well as you and I bet their kids turn out worse then them ... why wouldn't they

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2003, 12:54:15 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
why wouldn't they

Why would they?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: found this interesting
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2003, 01:06:14 PM »
Some Problems with Separation of Church and State Extremism

Much more likely, and reasonable, is the notion that they didn't pass the First Amendment to support a separation of church and state extremist agenda. They passed it instead to prevent the establishment of a national Christian denomination within the United States. They had only to look to the history of Europe to note the severe problems that arise when a nation adopts a particular Christian denomination as an official state religion.

Bovine scatology.
sand

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2003, 01:07:10 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Is that in the constitution?

Separation of church and state is not in the constitution either, it is a phrase taken out of a letter written by Jefferson.   The 1st amendment was originally interpreted as preventing government from interfering with any church, or adapting an official church.  The new interpretation of the 1st amendment is that it requires government to refrain from any mention of God, lest someone be offended or intimidated.  If that was the intent of the people who wrote the constitution they sure hid it well.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

What law are we talking about in Alabama?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2003, 01:11:04 PM »
Are all modern religions monotheisitic?
sand

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2003, 01:13:56 PM »
No SOB

my thought is you have grown up under the influence of others that do/did believe in a Higher Power. If you have kids and raise them godless, they may not turn out as well as you and I bet their kids turn out worse then them ... why wouldn't they

Because I would instill my values in my kids, and they would instill their values in their kids, etc...  I don't see why they would be any more likely to become an ******* than a Christian.  And if fear of going to hell is the only reason they're being nice, then they're an ******* anyhow.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2003, 01:15:15 PM »
This reminds me the of the post about the pet rabbit that died and the guy sauteed it for dinner...
Bodhi you the master fisherman!!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2003, 01:18:55 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Why would they?

-- Todd/Leviathn

seems logical without any belief in a hereafter or reincarnation, one would gravitate towards an extremely selfish mindset and lifestyle - even worse than is in existence now

if you are not held accountable via karma retribution, why not grab all you can while the grabbin is good

look around, it is happening as we speak

listen to the music, watch tv geared to our youth - open your eyes

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2003, 01:25:29 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Why would they?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Presumably because children raised without the ethical standards of a moral-based religion would have no incentive to behave accordingly other than their own version of 'right and wrong.'

Increasingly, the 'wrong' is being removed from our society.  The proper term nowadays is 'Right and 'Im tolerant of it.'

Im not religious in the slightest bit, but I do recognize the role that the principles of religion play in shaping the psyche of a child.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »
Oh, and Charon... is it possible for anyone to speak out on what he believes is wrong without being called a Nazi?