Author Topic: Enough is Enough!  (Read 4324 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2003, 05:26:56 PM »
Well... I'm a "right" winger but I firmly believe in seperation of church and state. ANY time you allow religion to gain a foothold in a judical system your asking for trouble...why? Take a hard look at history...and current events as well.
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2003, 05:39:45 PM »
Originally posted by MarkVZ
...  I started questioning the whole thing in 6-7 grade and then decided within a few years that I was an atheist.  ....

you had it all figured out by what 8th or 9th grade? 14/15 years old?

WOW!

LOL
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2003, 05:46:22 PM »
If you are not fed with a strict diet of fairy tales, you can develop a pretty good critical thinking by 14 or 15.

"Bible school" at 8 was a weird experience for me, because everything seemed fake and ridiculous, but everyone there played alog, but by 15 I was pretty sure it was all fake. At 28 I still find it fake, but somewhat disturbing and dangerous because of people like you, Judge Moore, the ayatollahs and the taliban.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2003, 06:08:06 PM »
So you're saying one needs to hit a certain age to make a decision?  Not qualified yet?  Age means nothing to me 'cept for slot machines and blackjack.  

What takeda said.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2003, 06:19:49 PM »
I think that "figuring it out" would be an antithesis of the point I was at then, even now as a sophomore in college.  I just simply came to my own conclusion that I didn't believe in God and didn't subscribe to popular religious beliefs.  I didn't and still haven't figured anything out, other than that I have no way of knowing what's waiting for me after death.  I'm still a spiritual person and I ponder over our origins often.

Figuring it out won't happen for me until after I've died.  All I can do is live my life the best I can, and I'll get whatever I get after I die.

I don't have you made out to be a Bible thumper, Eagler.  I just see you as an opposing side to the debate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 06:22:32 PM by MarkVZ »

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2003, 06:50:03 PM »
Bohdi, misquoting and misinterperating does not do anyone any favors in a discussion.

Charon, I never said "degenerate minority". You put those words into my mouth. And you also accused me of being a Nazi... wrong again...

He didnt say you were a Nazi did he? If so, I don't see it, and comparing someone tactics to Nazi tactics does not constitute name calling.  Comparisons can illuminate, can help make a point, or give a frame of reference.  Sadly, I have to agree that some of the more fanatical rhetoric remind me of that type of mindset "its our way only, what we say is correct, and everyone else is wrong"

I have never advocated in ANY of my statements the removal of any one based on race, creed, or beliefs. I only advocated that the minority of this population who was anti-God grow up and look the other way.

To say if someone doesn't agree with you is "anti-God" is flat out assnine.  Unless you are God of course.  Just because some hold dear the concept of Seperation of Church and State, the freedom to believe as they would choose, and everyones right not to be forcefully exposed to religious monuments in taxpayer paid for government buildings does not make them evil.

You seem determined to drag this down to a race riot, if that's your idea, it is wasted. The problem with this "trump card" so often played is just that, it is too often played. I again state I have never done anything to warrant be called anti-minority and actually feel that I have done more to actually be friendly towards minorities. Unfortunately any time some one suggests something that goes against what the wonderous Rainbow
Coalition says, we get the "your a racist or a nazi" statement. Too bad that that organisation and it's zealots are so narrow minded and misled, if they actually worked for a goal instead of personal gain, they might actually effect some changes for good.

I dont see anyone making this a race issue but you.

Instead I choose to read the bible which I know to be the truth for me. If that is wrong or offends some of you, too damn bad, it is my right.

Read away, talk the talk, walk the walk.  What you fail to grasp is some of us strongly feel everyone should be given that right, not reserved for Christians only.

For those of you advocating that this country was not founded by CHristians, think again. Of and that wonderous statement saying that our laws pagan beliefs, wrong again. This country actually came very close to adopting the language of Hebrew to be that much different from the
English. That said, it is also proven that the founding fathers very much believed in God and therefore allowed that belief to flow over into their writings.

This is so lacking in thought, I would hardly know where to begin.  

Oh, and for the comment stating I have never read the Constitution or Bill of Rights because I made the statement "this Nation was founded under the idea of "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" get a clue. I used the statement to empasize the fact that this Nation was founded under God. Not that the constitution, Bill of Rights, and Pledge of Allegiance were one in the same. Learn to read.

Spend a little more time doing some research, prove your points with facts, not just your opinions or those of other who want to sway opinion.

Lastly, the Constitutional Ammendment 1 says that:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and
to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Alot of us can do a google search, and I think many of us are more than familiar with the Establishment Clause.  Just like the Second ammendmant, without well defined context by the framers of the Constituion, we have a Supreme Court to interpret Constituional intent.

Nowhere in that statement does it say that a biblical writing can not be displayed on government property. Nor does displaying such a writing constitute the establishment of any religion over the state. What it does say is that the goverment CAN NOT prefer one religion over another,plain and simple.

Nowhere does it say you cant have sex in court, but that isn't appropriate either.  

Putting a "10 Commandments" Monument in the court house (paid for by PRIVATE funds) was not a problem, taking it away because it offended a few lawyers is the wrong and a misguided action on the behalf of the high courts. Because if that one monument is wrong, then we had best remove the words God from EVERYTHING associated with the Government.

Damn you are amazing, you decide the high courts are misquided?  Since it seems your education and life of study of the Constitution and our legal system is vastly superior to the Justices of the highest court in the land, maybe you should be appointed to the Chief Justice position so you can straighten out those misquided fools?

How about if I gather some private funds and have a huge sculpture of a hand given the finger?  Would that be okay?  So what if it offends a few right?  Maybe the offended can look the other way, so I can worship my big statue of the finger.  :)

I will maintain my statements of before in saying that this country is headed for disaster with the current moral fiber being perpetuated. Violence and wrong doings are so much the norm, that many people are losing sight of this. Unless Hollywood says it is so, most don't believe it. That said, looking at the America of 60 years ago, the moral fiber was stronger and of such a quality that our way of life was not only better, but emulated by the millions who still wished to emigrate to be a part of it.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling"

Our quality of life is better now than it has ever been.  Less people die early deaths, more children than ever are afforded a decent education, less people live in poverty, more have access to medical care, women and minorities have protected rights that they were denied not long ago.  I could go on and on, but when you choose to argue with unproven and flat out wrong statements, I realize you probably wont listen anyway.

Guess what, we are still emulated by millions, and you cant even begin to grasp the numbers of people who want to emigrate to our country.

I feel of greater danger to the future of our freedoms and our countries survival are those who are so darn sure they are right, they refuse to consider the rights, concerns and sensibilities of others.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2003, 06:54:55 PM »
Charon, good post.  I may not agree with all of it, but its a refreshing change to read something from the other side of the fence that isnt insulting to me.

There isnt much I can say that hasnt been said already, so Ill just leave it at 'we can agree to disagree.'

If you look at the posts from both sides of the arguement, I think we're all saying the same thing; 'Dont force me to think or act like you.'

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2003, 07:09:36 PM »
Dago, this whole discussion is about interpretation of the Constitution.  It's not enough to say "Well, the Supreme Court has already ruled on similar cases, so that's what is right."  They are not infallible; if they were, there would be no reversals.

"How about if I gather some private funds and have a huge sculpture of a hand given the finger? Would that be okay? So what if it offends a few right? Maybe the offended can look the other way, so I can worship my big statue of the finger."

;)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2003, 07:15:55 PM »
Thanks Dago, you saved me a lot of time and I couldn't have posted it any better.

If you look at the posts from both sides of the arguement, I think we're all saying the same thing; 'Dont force me to think or act like you.'

Saurdaukar

In a nutshell, that's exactly where I'm at :) I come from a religious family (Southern Baptist) and have a great deal of respect for those who walk the walk where Jesus and his teachings are concerned. My great grandmother (who I spent quite some time with growing up) was a missionary in the East Tennesse hills. When she died in her late 90s she had 800 people attend her funeral. However, I don't recall her trying to force her beliefs on others -- just make them aware of the true path and move on if they didn't agree. She even learned to tolerate and accept my Catholic stepfather when my mother remarried :)

Charon
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 07:19:41 PM by Charon »

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2003, 07:27:55 PM »
Originally posted by majic
"How about if I gather some private funds and have a huge sculpture of a hand given the finger? Would that be okay? So what if it offends a few right? Maybe the offended can look the other way, so I can worship my big statue of the finger."

;)

Where's the difference?  Maybe if fingers dont float your boat, why not a giant Koran?  or a giant Vishnu likeness?  

:)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2003, 07:58:28 PM »
28,college, sry I forget

I speak to children on these boards - my apologies
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2003, 08:45:24 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Where's the difference?  Maybe if fingers dont float your boat, why not a giant Koran?  or a giant Vishnu likeness?  

:)

Frankly, that would be just fine with me.  I am not affilliated in any way with any religion.  I'm not saying it's only okay only if the religion is Christian.  I'm saying the Constitution doesn't expressedly (sp?) prohibit it anywhere.  It allows for freedom of choice in religion or to choose no religion at all.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2003, 09:54:47 PM »
it doesnt matter if the ten commandments are a religious symbol or not...what they are are basic laws that were crafted when the church WAS the state so they came up with a story about how god told them these were the laws...wether the story is true or not is not the point...what does matter is the message behind it

let them be there...not as a religious symbol but as a symbol of basic laws for humanity

after all...religion is just the earliest way of laws ethics and rights...and dealing with peoples fear of death (wich is of course rooted in the minds inability to comprehend nothingness)

anyway as far as i know as long as noones "rights" are being put in jeapordy it can go where it wants...

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2003, 10:37:16 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
here is a better one then.

Thomas Paine:
"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)."

see they did believe in god though!

That guy was totally disillusional.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2003, 10:57:45 PM »
my super spooks in the sky can beat up your super spooks.