Author Topic: Al Jazeera  (Read 2975 times)

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2004, 03:01:50 PM »

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Al Jazeera
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2004, 03:06:21 PM »
Originally posted by 10Bears
Eagler, do you need somebody to call the police? !!!

2004 Cruisader :rofl
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 03:15:59 PM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2004, 03:12:55 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
Yep Westy. Some here don't understand that you can't kill two or three generations of terrorists without creating another generation or two of them.

This war on terrorism will have to be won politcaly, the military option will only create more terrorists, you can't kill them all but  in trying to you'll create more than you kill.

This isn't appeasement, it's just the way it is in the world right now. We can't change it therefore we must adapt to it.

You're more than welcome to begin "negotiating" with terrorists.  Incidently, you'll be a man alone on an island because most civilized societies do not negotiate with terrorists. but your welcome to try! I highly encourage it, as a matter of fact! :p

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2004, 03:20:04 PM »
Kissenger?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Al Jazeera
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2004, 03:22:16 PM »
Originally posted by -dead-
The War On Terror (TWOT)?

Ok, sprite up the nostrils on that one.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2004, 03:36:44 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
im fairly sure it has something to do with america not being in charge of other countries press...

Putting a few laser guided weapons on them will go a long way
to allow our view to be heard...they can then complain about it in the press.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2004, 03:41:27 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
You're more than welcome to begin "negotiating" with terrorists.  Incidently, you'll be a man alone on an island because most civilized societies do not negotiate with terrorists. but your welcome to try! I highly encourage it, as a matter of fact! :p

Politcal responses don't always come from negotiations, but you know that don't you Rip

So, rhetoric asside, make your case that strictly military responses will break the cycle I described.

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2004, 03:42:43 PM »
Yep Westy. Some here don't understand that you can't kill two or three generations of terrorists without creating another generation or two of them.

It takes 18 years or so to produce a terrorist......we can eliminate one in a few seconds. That way we always stay ahead.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2004, 03:45:55 PM »
Originally posted by weaselsan
It takes 18 years or so to produce a terrorist......we can eliminate one in a few seconds. That way we always stay ahead.

So, you're saying that that by eleminating one terrorist you are in effect stoping his entire family and friends from hating us?

Think again about that 18 year statement and come back with something a bit more intelligent and we'll continue.

BTW, kids as young as 9 years old have done terrorist deeds lately.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2004, 04:05:59 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Arab TV networks accused of fueling violence in Iraq
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040412/wl_mideast_afp/iraq_us_arab_media_040412180400
Yup it has nothing to do with the "coalition" invading the place and using strongarm tactics straight from the Israeli army's "how to really rile up arabs" handbook - it's all because of arab TV channels' reporting and the occupation forces getting a bad press.

It'll be interesting to see if the CPA trys to shut down more media outlets. Certainly the last time Bremer et al closed down a newspaper for "inciting violence" it didn't work out too well - the current *ahem* (how would they spin it?) "not completely positive local feedback situation" is partly a result of that shut down.

Indeed the more cynical might go so far as to accuse Bremer's action of - well... inciting violence. Perhaps he should shut down the CPA for 60 days.

Still - looking at the big picture, if you really want to know who's been fueling violence in Iraq with the help of the media, look no further than your avatar, Rip. ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 04:20:44 PM by -dead- »
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2004, 04:10:27 PM »
Originally posted by Westy
"What gives?"

Might makes right.

Are you a Massachusetts liberal I hear so much about on conservative radio?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2004, 04:41:21 PM »

So, rhetoric asside, make your case that strictly military responses will break the cycle I described.

Its a lose-lose situation. We have 3 choices the way I see it.

Hide under our beds and pretend it didn't happen:
No can do, our constitution as well as our character cannot, and will not allow most in the U.S. to take this course of action. It would actually encourage more attacks.

Negotiations:
Nope. Terrorists only see Allah as the supreme being. Basically what we have is a handful doing mind control enmasse via the "Ted Kryzinski" thought of mind, that being "technology bad, if you don't bow to Allah, you're better off dead".  Even moderate extremist muslims don't believe that bodies should be dragged and mutilated, only that they should be killed. That says alot.

Might makes right:
It may not make it "right" in the sense of restoring peace, but fewer of them makes it less likely that the leaders will survive.  Eventually, even war-bound leaders get tired of fights that they know they cannot win.

Altogether, its a lose-lose situation for the US, regardless who is in the white house.  Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I'm all ears for any suggestions you have.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Al Jazeera
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2004, 05:01:02 PM »
Eventually, even war-bound leaders get tired of fights that they know they cannot win.

Not quite, they have been at it for 4000 years in Israel, they're not bound to stop tomorrow, or on June 30th.

I do, however have no solution to offer.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Al Jazeera
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2004, 05:12:01 PM »
Originally posted by Rude
Are you a Massachusetts liberal I hear so much about on conservative radio?

You would be surprised to see our homocide rate compared to that of some conservative states over the last 20 years.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Al Jazeera
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2004, 05:17:14 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Not quite, they have been at it for 4000 years in Israel, they're not bound to stop tomorrow, or on June 30th.

Education is an extremists worse nightmare. (Unless the content is the Koran, with alittle distortion thrown in for good effect)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 05:23:00 PM by Ripsnort »