Author Topic: To Kill an American  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2004, 11:03:37 AM »
Originally posted by J318
but I just ignore them. Like every great empire Roman, British, Soviet etc... IT WILL FALL.

Offline J318

• Zinc Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2004, 02:11:08 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love America, great country but when you start waving the stars and stripes in my face I don't none too much apprecite it. Besides I was talking to our Russian friend.

Yes I know I can't spell apprecite.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2004, 02:18:34 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love America, great country but when you start waving the stars and stripes in my face I don't none too much apprecite it. Besides I was talking to our Russian friend.

Yes I know I can't spell apprecite.

Who's waving Old Glory in your face?  He made a post talking about the people that make up America.  No one forced you to read it.

You still aren't grasping the concept of "ignore".

Offline DJ111

• Silver Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2004, 02:23:37 PM »
Retired CO of the ancient **Flying Monkeys** CT squadron.

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2004, 02:48:04 PM »
Besides I was talking to our Russian friend.

He's not Russian.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2004, 06:10:50 PM »
Originally posted by Capt. Pork
Let me get this straight, you're accusing somebody else of nonsense?

That clerk either knew you in another life or was just amazingly intuitive.

Pork, do you remember the famous Soviet cartoon, "Pios v sapogah"? ("Dog in boots") It was a story of three musketeers with Dogs as musketeers and Cats as Cardinal's guards. The best thing there was music.

The guy who wrote that music, Chris Kelmy, applied for American visa. The clerk in an embassy asked him what he does for livind, and he answered: "I am a popular singer". Then the clerk asked him: "So, if you are a singer - sing something for me!" :mad:

They don't know anything about "other lives". They don't need it. They jst have their quotes and enjoy their power. Thinking that a Russian singer who is a millionaire will stay in the US is ridiculous.

OTOH American special services are doing their jobs quite well. In 1989 when I went to St.Louis as an exchange student I have found out that the family that was hosting me was chosen to 100% satisfy my dreams. This could happen because they kept an eye on my Father that time, so they knew more about my habbits... Can you imagine that my Host was playing a guitar and had Jimmy Page as an idol, Mother of the family taught Computer Science and some more things were just a coinsidence?

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2004, 06:22:15 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda

LOL!!! Tell me how much do you owe to your bank for the house you live in, for your car and other stuff. Then go think about WHO should envy whom.

UAHAHHAHA!!! :D:D:D

I have no debt. I am just over 40 and started from nothing (a graduating student with little in the bank). I earned every cent I have, no one gave or left it to me. I have a family, house, truck some toys and enough money to retire on and I still have 25 years of working ahead of me if I want.

I broke no laws and always paid my taxes.

Can you do that in the Soviet Union?

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2004, 06:29:02 PM »
Pork, do you remember the famous Soviet cartoon, "Pios v sapogah"? ("Dog in boots") It was a story of three musketeers with Dogs as musketeers and Cats as Cardinal's guards. The best thing there was music.

The guy who wrote that music, Chris Kelmy, applied for American visa. The clerk in an embassy asked him what he does for livind, and he answered: "I am a popular singer". Then the clerk asked him: "So, if you are a singer - sing something for me!" :mad:

They don't know anything about "other lives". They don't need it. They jst have their quotes and enjoy their power. Thinking that a Russian singer who is a millionaire will stay in the US is ridiculous.

OTOH American special services are doing their jobs quite well. In 1989 when I went to St.Louis as an exchange student I have found out that the family that was hosting me was chosen to 100% satisfy my dreams. This could happen because they kept an eye on my Father that time, so they knew more about my habbits... Can you imagine that my Host was playing a guitar and had Jimmy Page as an idol, Mother of the family taught Computer Science and some more things were just a coinsidence?

Boroda, I'm sure there is a great deal of injustice, and I don't doubt what you say. I know about difficulties in getting Visas, and it's unfair, capricious and often cruel.

However, my comment about the clerk being intuitive was aimed at Lada's stupidity in not being able, or not willing to understand the concept of Americans with roots in foreign nations.

I'd like to believe he's nothing but a gifted troll, but the fact is, for every talented troll(and he'd have to be one of the best, ever) there are at least five bonafide morons.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2004, 06:40:32 PM »
Pork, the worst thing about the situation is that when we wanted to get rid of Soviet regime - one of the most important things was that we were promised an opportunity to leave the country and travell all over the world. And it all turned out to be a lie. Our "beloved Pary and Government" let us go out of the country any time, but the people who tried to show us how good can we live under "democracy" instead of "evil Soviet regime" now don't let us visit their countries.

Did you see "Kin-dza-dza"? Looks like Americans are afraid of us like Alphans who asked visitors to wear gas masks so they'll not breathe "dangerous germs" into their perfect ecology.

"Accepting immigrants" is nothing but a myth.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 06:42:43 PM by Boroda »

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2004, 07:00:15 PM »

What I know about the US and immigration I know from personal experience. We came here in the early 80s. My parents spoke no English. They were both doctors in Moscow.

five months after getting here, my father started a grueling 7 year neurosurgical residency.

Today he owns his own practice. He's the senior partner of a newly-opened neuroscience clinic in Wilmington DE. He owns three beautiful homes. He holds the title to the apartment we lived in next to the Sokol metrostop in Moscow(which they're trying to sell). He's not in debt. He is, however, widely respected despite his accent, and is friends with as many immigrants as born-Americans. He gets to vote, he gets to go to synagogue. He gets to read books that were censored in Russia...

My mother is happily retired. My entire extended family, on both sides, is here and happy. It took an ungodly amount of work, but here, it was possible.

My grandfather, who lives with my parents and spends hours each day thoughfully pacing the trails and paths of their pristine, heavily-wooded, 5 acre property in Greenville, DE, is the only one of us who still thinks like you.

Please don't go selling me on the idea of the Party. And don't try to educate me on the concept of immigration.

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2004, 07:52:08 PM »
WOW,kinda the last word.....welcome.....wish we were a perfect country but we are not.....

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2004, 08:00:18 PM »
Originally posted by demaw1
WOW,kinda the last word.....welcome.....wish we were a perfect country but we are not.....

No, it is not perfect, but it is good and I'm thankful to be here and not there.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2004, 08:42:32 PM »
Pork, do you remember the famous Soviet cartoon, "Pios v sapogah"? ("Dog in boots") It was a story of three musketeers with Dogs as musketeers and Cats as Cardinal's guards.  

Was that the sequel to this?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2004, 08:46:08 PM »

We would accept this Russian should she wish to immigrate...

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
To Kill an American
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2004, 07:04:38 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Was that the sequel to this?

No :)

Here is a link to an AVI file: http://videodvdmp3.gowork.ru/mult/pvs/pvs.avi (96Mb).

I hope you'll understand the plot ;)