Author Topic: Time to unperk the Spit 14  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Time to unperk the Spit 14
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2005, 03:41:51 PM »
Edbert and Doc, both excellet... I agree almost 100%.

In regards to the Spit14 and its abilities, what it can do and how well it can do it, Doc is spot on.

I also agree with Ed in that  perking the late war planes, "the big 5" as you people have come to call them is a bad idea. Its not only a bad idea but I will also agree with ed that its bad business.

I don't know what some of you people are looking for. Is it a plane that will go anywhere, do anything, live through the worst of odds no matter what?

Because if thats what you're looking for I wish you the best of luck.

You fight accordingly... And if you do not you end up back in the tower for a second try. The only plane where you can fly in and out of a mass of late war fighters with is the Jet. And even then, the chances of you making it back aren't as good as some of you seem to be wishing.

I think the only reason the Spit14 isn't used often is because right above the Spit14's price tag, you have the tempest. Which IMO is the absolute best prop fighter for the MA. also its the best so far as getting what you pay for. If the price was lowered to or just above the Chog I feel it would be used much, much more.

I dont get you guys one bit. You b1tch and moan about the MA being filled with late war fighters.... YET you are promoting the idea of unperking another late war monster. Which is just going to add to your initial gripe...

Hell, even i'd fly it if it werent perked. I'll pick, vulch, furball, Ho, run... You name it. No different than I would if I were in an La7.

How in gods name is unperking this beast going to help the MA?

It wont... Period. You know it and I know it.

But there's a reason its' perked. Again, I agree that it is too expensive for what it is. But it does deserve a price.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2005, 04:06:11 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
They should add a free Spitfire Mk XII.  It has the same problem as the La-7, in that it is a terrible high altitude fighter and a great low altitude fighter, so it shouldn't be perked.

Of course the fact that it would be far superior to the Spitfire Mk XIV for AH purposes is just icing on the cake.

Remember, low altitude dominance doesn't get a fighter perked, just high altitude dominance.

I'm slipping in my old age!  Someone mentioned Spit XIIs and I didn't catch it right away.

Can't have em, cause I'd have to quit flying 38s again :)

Spit XII entered service with 41 Squadron in February 43 btw so it's not a late war bird.  In fact it came out of front line service in September 44 when 41 Squadron transitioned to XIVs.

Dan/CorkyJr
whose first love has always been the Spit XII, long before flight sims showed up.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 04:29:51 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2005, 05:17:01 PM »
Droool     :aok
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2005, 06:02:05 PM »
Morpheus,

So far as I can tell only a couple of people are advocating making the Spit XIV free.  Most of us just think it isn't worth anywhere near the price given the fact that it is slow (for a perk plane), fragile and with average firepower.  It should be cheaper.

And yes, I was digging at the La-7 with the Spit XII comments, but I was also serious.  Low altitude dominance is more important in AH, with its ephasis on ground attack, than is high altitude performance.  Yet it is the Ta152 and Spitfire Mk XIV that are perked, not the La-7.

I also agree that the Spit XIV would beat an La-7 in a one on one fight to the death.  However, I would bet on the La-7s in a 12 on 12 fight in the MA.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2005, 06:02:35 PM »
OK instead of unperking it as I suggested lets do this then -

1) Reduce the cost drastically.
2) Give us a Mk VIII or Mk XII FREE

Just lets please have an RAF fighter post 1942 that isn't perked, isn't asking friggin much.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2005, 06:11:49 PM »
There you go again,

Which IMO is the absolute best prop fighter for the MA. also its the best so far as getting what you pay for.

How exactly is the Spit14 the best again?

You are entirely entitled to your opinion, but I have to trip over it again that it has no basis.

Imagine a 1943 setup: P-47, P-38G, Fw190A-5, Bf109G-6. Spit9, La-5FN.

The ratio of 'superiority' our Spit14 has against its contemporary fighters, is EXACTLY the same the Spit9 has against it's '43 contemporaries.

Look at the Spit9. It's not the fastest in '43. It's the second best climber with only 5 min WEP, doesn't roll all too well, nor is it as superior as the La-5FN at low alts.

Many would consider that the Spit9 would be probably the best pure 'dogfighter' in a 1vs1 sense in a '43 setup.

However noone in their right minds are gonna ask for a Spit9 to be perked in that kind of setup, nor is anyone gonna consider the Spit9 is totally superior to the P-47, P-38G, Bf109G-6 or the Fw190A-5, La-5FN.

The Spit9 to the P-47, P-38G, Bf109G-6, Fw190A-5....

...is the same as the Spit14 to the P-51D, P-38L, Bf109G-10, Fw190D-9, La-7.

So why should it be perked, when it's contemporaries are not?

How in gods name is unperking this beast going to help the MA?

How will it hurt the MA?

It can't hurt the MA in anyway.

Adding one more late war beast into the fray doesn't make jackshi* of a difference to the MA already dominated by the post-'44 planes.

It's not a sole performer which will make every other plane obsolete.

If the gameplay is to stay this way, then might as well another good late war plane and enjoy the mix up. No?

ps) besides, all the other fans get their 'late-war version' rides for free. Why shouldn't the RAF (or even USN) fans not be entitled to such? Because their planes are drastically superior?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 06:17:16 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2005, 07:58:46 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
There you go again,
Which IMO is the absolute best prop fighter for the MA. also its the best so far as getting what you pay for.

How exactly is the Spit14 the best again? [/B]

Kweassa, he was saying the Tempest is the best and the Spit XIV being worse and nearly the same price means nobody uses the Spit XIV.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2005, 08:05:19 PM »
If I may...

ONE source of miscommunication here is the difference between one plane being the better in a 1V1 and the other being better in the MA.

1V1 the 14 is better then the Tempest, and I wouls say it should win every duel between them as the La7 usually does. In the MA the 14 simply cannot disengage as easily or kill as quickly as the Tempest. The ability to end fights in a single snapshot with regularity and disengage nearly at will makes the Tempest the clear MA dominator.

At least that is what I think.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2005, 08:49:43 PM »
There you go again,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are entirely entitled to your opinion, but I have to trip over it again that it has no basis.

Originally posted by Kweassa
There you go again,

quote:

Kweassa, he was saying the Tempest is the best and the Spit XIV being worse and nearly the same price means nobody uses the Spit XIV.

Spend more time reading and less time typing Kewnesew.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2005, 09:25:50 PM »
Doesn't change a single thing Dopeus.

You still retain the Spit14 as a perk worthy material without any kind of reason given.

Somehow, it's 'best' and you just seem to know it without having to analyze, compare, test, and etc etc..

..and I call that a crock of bullshi* as with every single one of your post in this crappy thread of a discussion.

You just simply don't like them, and don't like the idea of a maneuverable Spitfire, that is at fast enough to  compete with the rest of the free dragster planes in the set.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »
ROFL.

The advantages aren't obvious to you are they dimwit?

It can keep with or out pace a 51. The Spit14 out turn the 51 with little effort at all and once thats said and done it can accelerate more rapidly than the 51 could ever dream of. And I concider the 51 to be one of the best and easiest non perk planes in the MA to survive in and still kill at the same time.

How do I know this? Its called experience in game genious. I've fought spit14s enough to know what they are good at and what they are not.

Its for its abilities above that it should be perked.

The spit14 is one of the best turn fighters in the game. At the same time its one of the most deadly E fighters this game has in it. It can climb excellent, accelerate excellent and can turn excellet. That makes it worth of perking.

The Chogs guns alone put it in the perk category. Your lucky the Tiffy isn't perked. And the Chog takes some lvl of skill to fight in and be effective. If you get slow in it, and are in a crowd, you're in trouble. But I imagine you'll say im wrong there tool. The Spit14 can chew a chog apart and spit it out as if it were a snack. OH WAIT, you want diagram showing that now i bet. Ooops.

What in the hell would you like me to do? Offer you a power point presentation showing you that the Spit14 does indeed fall in the perk plane category?

You can read all the books, and cut and paste from google all you want sweetheart. Until you can prove to me that in game that the spit14 isn't a perk plane. Anything you say means squat.

And one last thing dipchit. If you think I've got something against spits think again. The spit5 and 9 are two of my favorite rides in the MA. I know what both of those planes can do too. And enjoy flying them very much. So to say I dislike any of the spits is nothing more than bullchit. But from you bullchit seems to come easy.

You're nothing more than a little book worm who thinks she knows it all and anything to the contrary of what you say is absurd furthermore its just got to be wrong.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2005, 10:38:11 PM »
Lol kinda surprised the Tiffy isn't perked, after all it's reasonably fast, great guns and most of all RAF.

Just give us RAF guys a free Spit VIII or XII and therefore stop limiting the free RAF planes to 1942. It's a joke.

Suppose you couldn't have a non US plane dominating the game though, what would the world come to. LOL
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2005, 10:46:19 PM »
I know you hate to be contradicted... but the Spit 14 is a ~10 mph slower than the P-51D on the deck, which means it is also slower than the G-10, D-9, and La-7.  Even on WEP.  It does out-accelerate the P-51... but afaik it doesn't outaccelerate the G-10 and La-7.  If I'm wrong on that, I'm not wrong enough for it to make a difference, the Spit 14 can't get away from a G-10 or La-7 the way they can get away from it.

It does climb better than those 3 planes though, as long as the WEP holds out.  As far as turning goes.. I probably don't have as much experience in the Spit 14 as you do, but I'd say that while the Spit 14 probably can out-turn the P-51, the P-51 would be a helluva lot more stable in a low speed fight.

I agree about the Chog, I also think that is why the Tempest is perked as highly as it is, since it is basically just an almost La-7 with 4 Hizookas.

But the point isn't that the Spit 14 tears up Chogs... the Chog isn't an outstanding fighter anyway.  It is a good fighter with great guns.  The La-7 is a great fighter with good guns, the G-10 is a great fighter with pretty crappy guns, and the D-9 just sucks all-round as a fighter... but it is good for the bore n zoom crap.  The spit 14, in my opinion, is a G-10 with Hizookas for 5 minutes, then it is just a G-2 with Hizookas.  In other words, a good fighter with great guns.  

So why is it perked as heavily as it is?

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2005, 11:16:01 PM »
So why is it perked as heavily as it is?

Thats a good question Urchin.

I dont know how many times I have to say it. But I agree that its over perked.

Those planes which you mentioned above, which are among the fasted fighters in the game have a small advantage as far as speed goes. But... Once you get them to turn and burn up their E they're dead men. And you know it. I dont care if you have SuperNathBDP in a G10 odt. Anyone who knows anything about spits will eat up a G10 in a turn fight with a Spit14. And the G10, being the best accelerating plane you mentioned, wont have the luxury to disengage and "reset" the fight against the fast accelerating Spit14. So once its in the turn fight its for keeps.

You know as well as I do how to sucker E fighters in with a slower plane. And once you get them turned and burnt out their energy we kill them. The deffencive advantages of the Spit14 when I think about it are almost endless.

The same goes for any of the fighers you mentioned Urchin. In a turn fight a Spit is a Spit. Once you get it slow in a turn fight with the rest of those planes you listed, its going to make short fast work of them.

I'm sure I will be told to go screw myself again and that I know nothing and have no "PROOF". The only "PFOOF" I have is what I've learned to be fact's about the planes. Learning what they are and are not good at.

The spit14 is a very well rounded deadly machine that can do everything very well. Very Well. Very Well. Its not the best at one thing or another. But it can do it all VERY WELL. And thats why its perked.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2005, 04:52:39 AM »
In one of my first flights with a Spit XIV I got into a turnfight with a light P51.
Wasn't so much to choose between in the turning, took some 8-12 circles before I was on his 6 properly.
The P51B is probably even better (it was a D)
Anyway, the XIV is overperked. And again, that would be seen better if we had a Mk VIII. Or would you perk a 1943 aircraft....?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)