Author Topic: Is Blair going to win it three straight?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Is Blair going to win it three straight?
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2005, 09:06:59 AM »
Jeez Lazs, if you're gonna use such stinky bait at least spell England correctly. ;)

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2005, 09:13:13 AM »
Circumventing the language filter
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 02:19:53 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2005, 09:16:26 AM »
Thing thing that sort of mystifies me is that Blair is hated by all and is seen as Bush's poodle so they are going to re-elect him.

At least that's how this thread is making it look.

If Britain had a presidential system Blair wouldn't stand a chance. As it is, it's more the party than the prime minister people are voting for.

Labour stand to win despite Blair, not because people want Blair as prime minister.

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2005, 09:31:36 AM »
For all the noise Lazs makes about the irrelevance non american opinions, he certainly expends enough energy on trolling them. Keep trying Lazs; like the old analogy about the monkey and the typewiter, if you keep going long enough you'll make sense eventually.

Toad, the fact of the matter is that there is so little difference between the major parties these days that people have to basically make stuff up (or parrot the media's half truths) in order to frame an argument. Any real ideological basis to british politics passed away with the end of Thatcher's career and the death of John Smith. All that is left is a tussle to see which bunch of petty middle manager types get to occupy the middle ground and pretend to run the country for the next five years. The sad fact is that Blair is more photogenic than Howard and for all his charm Kennedy is a ginger scotsman and this will probably make more difference than any stated policy.

As for Blair being Bush's poodle; that might be a perception shared by many, but what the mindless majority in this increasingly benighted nation don't seem to grasp is this: Howard, or Kennedy, or any other alternative occupant of no. 10 Downing Street would have behaved in exactly the same way as Blair over Iraq and that to do so was in the strategic interests of this country. Blair, or Major before him, would have gone into Iraq with guns blazing 5 or ten years ago if Clinton could have come up with a good enough pretext.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2005, 10:19:26 AM »
What I find so funny is the parallel. Perhaps it's not apparent to the non-US?

This:

Originally posted by lazs2
blair = hitler.

don't be offended.... we don't hate brits... just everything about your lifestyle and politics.

lazs

Draws this response:

Originally posted by Gixer
So Lazs how many years of British lifestyle  have you experienced to make you hate the British lifestyle? I'm guessing none and that you probably can't even point to London on a map.

...-Gixer

Remembering the commentary from our election, the reversal here is just too funny. IMO, of course.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2005, 10:24:56 AM »
Anybody catch the Daily Show last night?

The 'town meeting' comparisons were hysterical funny.. and Colberts comment on "social" issues (gay marrige) "It's England, John.. they all sound gay."
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2005, 10:29:42 AM »
Jeez, swimming in this forum is really dangerous.

It's full of stinking and rotten baits.

:aok

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »
Nothin ticks off an angler more than self-aware conservative fish that hang around the bait discussing the relative merits of bait and lures without hitting on either.

;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2005, 10:48:47 AM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
As it is, it's more the party than the prime minister people are voting for.

So Labour could run the statue of Nelson in Trafalgar and win?

And Euros think our electoral system is porked? ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2005, 10:51:58 AM »
Do you think Toad understands that Electoral systems are different all over Europe?  This is the UK. This Euro label thing is as daft as the people who keep using it!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2005, 10:57:20 AM »
Originally posted by Momus--
Toad, the fact of the matter is that there is so little difference between the major parties these days that people have to basically make stuff up (or parrot the media's half truths) in order to frame an argument.

So what you're saying is that the English political system is essentially identical to the US system at the basic roots?

Those of you who castigated the US for electing Bush are now going elect... wait for it.... Bush's poodle.

And you make fun of us?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 11:24:32 AM by Toad »

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2005, 11:26:03 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
So what you're saying is that the English political system is essentially identical to the US system at the basic roots?

Yes, in common with most modern democracies.

Those of you who castigated the US for electing Bush are now going elect... wait for it.... Bush's poodle.

I think you need help with your reading comprehension. I said the perception that Blair is Bush's poodle is an incorrect one.

Any you make fun of us?

Yes, but only because as a nation you take slurs against your country so personally, that makes it so much more fun. :p

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2005, 11:36:26 AM »
Well, Momus most of the folks that were slinging shirt at the US for running/electing Bush during our last election consider Blair to be "Bush's poodle".

Wouldn't you agree?

And now, Bush's poodle seems poised to win an unprecedented third straight election.

I think it's understandable that some in the US may be laughing at some in the UK then?

Momus:  I think you need help with your reading comprehension. I said the perception that Blair is Bush's poodle is an incorrect one.
[/b]

My reading comprehension is just fine, thanks for asking.

I'm not the one you have to convince, chum. I've never made that charge. However, I've seen it often enough from some UK posters, the folks that will vote in this election. The one in which the poodle is poised to profit.

;)

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2005, 11:41:23 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Anybody catch the Daily Show last night?

The 'town meeting' comparisons were hysterical funny.. and Colberts comment on "social" issues (gay marrige) "It's England, John.. they all sound gay."

yeah, that was pretty good on the status quo.

i'd speculate the reason why Blair was in Bush's hip pocket, relates all the way back to Iran and '53.

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2005, 11:47:17 AM »
I guess what you have to understand is that Iraq is not the election issue here that it was in the US, despite the efforts of some elements in the opposition and the press. The perception, incorrect or not, that Blair just follows Bush's orders, would only apply in the context of a discussion on policy towards the war.

Further than that, you'll have to ask someone who actually thinks that Tony is George's lapdog to elaborate.

i'd speculate the reason why Blair was in Bush's hip pocket, relates all the way back to Iran and '53.

Bingo.