Author Topic: F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4  (Read 3740 times)

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 12:36:15 PM »
Hmm I will have to work on my tight turns in the Hog.  I always seem to be getting out turned in it.

I know you and I have gone round and round a few times dogg, but what I remember are the tight wingovers you were doing, we never really got into a dog track.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2006, 12:44:33 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
Yeah Dogg gald you chimed in here -

If Im in a spit and you are on my tail and all I do is pull as hard as I can around in a circle, when will you break off knowing that I am going to out turn you?

Never.... Because you can't out-turn a Hog with a Spitfire anymore... Can't out-turn a Bf 109F-4 now either. These are virtually dead even in a continuous turn (including the SpitV), but both the Hog and the 109F are more stable being flown flaps out, at the limit.

After 2.07 the wheel has turned and there's a whole new Paradigm. What used to be isn't any longer in many cases. A lot of guys are learning the hard way that simply turning as tight as possible no longer works as it did before. Whether or not this is historically correct is irrelevant. It's just the way it is in AH2 after the update.

I strongly suggest that players spend some time in the TA learning what has changed. Moreover, I want to remind players that a lot of planes have changed, some for the better, some for the worse. Those that have improved will generally go unnoticed if they don't know about it and do not adjust their style. Those that have lost something will become readily obvious when old tricks no longer work, but that usually gets you whacked.

Try the Bf 109F-4; go find a Spitfire and experience the difference the update has made.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2006, 12:46:21 PM »
Urchin, did your new stick arrive yet?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »
What is your callsign in the game mars01?  I don't remember seeing that name at all.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
Yep mars01.

LOL your memory is as good as mine in the MA.

You and I tusseld a few times one nigth in the MA a few months back, when I was still flyn the 16.  We probably had 4 to 5 fights within an hour.  I figured you remembered cause you said you actually had to work a little LOL.  It was nice to run into someone that could actually fly the Hog well.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2006, 01:26:07 PM »
Spit V is still premium turner and will outturn hogs and 109F although hogs and 109F have a better chance after last patch and they can actually hold for a few turns. Spit V flaps are finally what they should be, a landing air brakes and they are more of a penalty then before the patch, so they have to be used differently.

Spit 16 will have more problems with both because it overshoots so easy, and likes to drop wing in tight turn under full power, but with good throttle usage and keeping it in vertical, it should win.

The biggest advantage spit V and XVI have over hogs (1, 1D) and 109F is ability to kill with a very short snapshot.

Now, f4U-4 is another story...

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2006, 01:39:02 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
After 2.07 the wheel has turned and there's a whole new Paradigm. What used to be isn't any longer in many cases. A lot of guys are learning the hard way that simply turning as tight as possible no longer works as it did before. Whether or not this is historically correct is irrelevant. It's just the way it is in AH2 after the update.

I strongly suggest that players spend some time in the TA learning what has changed. Moreover, I want to remind players that a lot of planes have changed, some for the better, some for the worse. Those that have improved will generally go unnoticed if they don't know about it and do not adjust their style. Those that have lost something will become readily obvious when old tricks no longer work, but that usually gets you whacked.

Widewing

I agree, the AH2 world has changed.  The last week I've taken up the Ki-61 and had a blast turning with Spits. Then last night I took up a C202 for a couple of rides and had two interesting fights with a Spit 16. The first started and stayed at about 10K. The 16 was joined by a LA-7 and a 51. The four of us going round and round, up and over. The 202 was a match for the 16 in the tight turn at alt. Eventually they picked me off. A couple of minutes later the same 16 met me at sea level in the 202. This fight went round and round, full flaps, 50 feet off the water, 100 mph for at least 10 circles. If I slipped a bit he would gain, if he stalled a bit I would gain. Back and forth we went. He eventually tried to bug out but realised I was too close, and then scissor back in the opposite direction which was the end of the 16.

19.99 perkies for the single kill!

Widewing is right, we all have to go back to re-learning what these planes can and can't do.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Urchin, did your new stick arrive yet?

My regards,

Widewing

Yes, it did get here this week :).  So now I have a working throttle, not that it seems to have made much difference lol.

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2006, 12:52:11 AM »
That my friends is the rediculous issue of this whole thing as worse power loading plane out turning and besting planes with better power loading in flat turns just by dropping the Wunder Flaps, a thing that the F4U was not particularly known for. :p

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2006, 07:38:52 AM »
Funny to hear people PO'd cuz there uber spit isnt a instant dweeb pull back on the stick plane to fly.  Spit actually might require some thinking and ACM now... well theres still the lghey.

Balsy

PS Ive flown the F4u1 through all the patches, and have consistently done well against the spits, even with excellent pilots. I dont see that its changed at all in that regard.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2006, 08:24:04 AM »
F4u1 is nice. Better -1 sticks like balsy should give most spits pilots problems. Then again, the entire MA is flying spits from what I hear.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2006, 02:50:42 PM »
I have no question spits are and were good turning planes, my particular concern and skepticism with this current "revision" is that it gives better turning circles to planes that have twice the weight and more than half the turning circle, even A-20s can turn with K-4s and spiral climb with them, I mean that just makes you want to say come the twittler  Wulf 190 on!

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2006, 03:08:16 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
... Then again, the entire MA is flying spits from what I hear.

From what I saw last nite the F4U is now at least in the top 5 where it used to be a rarity.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »
well i still have no prob fighting hogs so i guess i cant complain..i look for the cheeseball flap and gear move and go vert instantly..if i avoid the ensuing spray the hog is just plain dead..mostly if i die to one its because i try and turn with it at to high of an airspeed

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2006, 04:59:53 PM »
Originally posted by jaxxo
well i still have no prob fighting hogs so i guess i cant complain..i look for the cheeseball flap and gear move and go vert instantly..if i avoid the ensuing spray the hog is just plain dead..mostly if i die to one its because i try and turn with it at to high of an airspeed

Hiya Jaxxo.. Stop by the TA one evening and I'll show you why the F4U is so damned dangerous now. I can say this without reservation, it's nearly impossible to beat the Hogs on a Co-E reverse. A really good pilot may match it with a Spitfire, but probably not.

These days, the hands-down best dogfighter in the game is the F4U-4. It can do anything the Spit16 can do, and go like hell to boot.

Remember, don't rate an airplane by the skills of the pilots flying it. Fighting a good pilot 1v1 is where you can get a real handle on what an aircraft is capable of. You really have to get the pilots out of the equation to isolate the plane's performance. Unfortunately, that's not easy to do. Especially in the MA.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing