Author Topic: Chuck Yeager says...  (Read 5653 times)

Offline BBQ_Bob

• Silver Member
      • http://uknightedstates.net
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2006, 11:30:32 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
I'll bet Mace2004 has more hours in Navy fighters than you have dollars in the bank...

I'll take that bet, how many does he have. :aok
UKNIGHTED Propaganda Minister
"There are no Hells Angels in the MA, never"

"they are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded."

For a good time ~~ www.uknightedstates.net

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »

ROLEX IS THE WINNER!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2006, 11:36:37 AM »
Lol....are we talking checking or savings?

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
Originally posted by Squire
Well I enjoy a good debate, but I don't like seeing threads start to be all about disrespecting a veteran.

I can disagree with some of Yeagers comments, and yes, I give the man a lot of slack because they are asked to comment "off the cuff" about a lot of things, then we pick every word apart like phorensic auditors...and hold them to account for every word they utter, on things that they did 60 years ago.

It's not about "disrespecting a vet".  The issue with Yeager is that he has been placed on a pedistal and everything he says is supposed to be gosphel and that's just nonsense.  The guy was a great pilot, don't think anyone said he wasn't.  He did achieve some great things, nobody has said he didn't.  The sad part though is that he has been "diefied" which is not something he (and not anyone I can think of) merits.  Lots of the comments that he has made are not "off the cuff", many are in his own autobiography and The Right Stuff (the book, not the movie).  If those are inaccurate he should correct them.  Especially distastful is his own admission to his propensity to exact revenge on those he considers his "enemies".  His abortion of an attempt at an altitude record is also well documented as are the USAF's attempts to cover for him.  Bottom line is yes, he was a great pilot and, on a professional level, I respect his achievements, BUT, I'm not very impressed with the rest of what I know of him.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2006, 12:23:57 PM »
Yeager

A few months ago a thread in the A & V forum discussed some of Yeager's 'fish stories'...

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2006, 02:52:57 PM »
S!

Read the book again gentlemen, Gen. Yeager was talking about N.A.C.A. not N.A.S.A.  Gen. Yeager said N.A.S.A. and the shuttle program was the best.

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline parin

• Copper Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2006, 03:00:28 PM »
Modern P-51 ready for combat.

Made by Piper too:D
Wgr 21 works great!

Quick Jam from SkyRock...

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2006, 03:39:16 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
thats nothing compared to two notches :eek:

Yeah, with two notches... they will reach Uranus!  :O

J/K Furball  :D
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »
Mace-  What aircraft did you fly in the Navy???  You and cyclic should duel in real life till the death for status of best naval aviator!....He was an ex tomcat driver...lmao...

seriously though, thanks for your service sir!

*What did Yeager say about Crossfield after his death?
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2006, 06:20:28 PM »
Originally posted by BBQ_Bob

IMO the man can talk as much watermelon or be an a** if he wants to, he earned it. :aok Who's with me ?

Not me.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Especially some of the things he said after Crossfield crashed this past spring.
====
Okay Golfer, what negative or derogatory things did Yeager say about Crossfield after he died?

What negative or derogatory things has Yeager said about Hoover?

Well he did have the deck stacked against him when he went and called Scott Crossfield one of the "most arrogant people I've ever met."

As witness anyone who had the opportunity to meet Mr. Crossfield (I am not one of them, but know those who have) will tell you otherwise.  I'm not going to go digging quotes, but one of them was on his website (I believe chuckyeager.com but I'm not giving him any hits) in a release after the incident.

As far as Bob Hoover goes I'm not even sure if it is possible to talk down to him given that I've met the gentleman and know plenty more who have shared time with him.  Mostly it was an example (the likes of crossfield and hoover I believe I said) to show the class of guys that Yeager has spoken poorly toward.

I still wouldn't pee on him to put a fire out.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 10:40:15 PM »
BBQ-Bob .. just curious .. what have you flown?

Ima dweeb .. only spent time in:

Stearman PT-17
Aeronca Champ
C-172

..oh ..

..and an hour of pure bliss foolin around over Kissimee florida in 'Crazy Horse' doin all the things I do in the arena ..cept with no bullets and no air-air (the T-34's weren't up so I couldn't go play) .. but I did a passable simulated ground attack, low pass, a bit of aerobatics, full stall recovery practice power on, hard left accelerated stall w/flaps and w/o flaps, full right accelerated stall ..coupla rolls, a huge barrel roll, loop, cuban eight, ..

..you know .. the 'usual' just to get the feel of the Mustang before goin over the Naval Weapons training center to work on pop-ups, strafing runs, an the like.

The pass down the runway there, below the tree tops, at +400 after a split S from 8500 ft was the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on.

I know there's more than a few that 'fly' AH that have a lot more air time than I do, and there's more than a few that know a heck of a lot more than I do about 'Chuck' ..

..however, your blanket statement purty much makes you look the fool in front of this audience.

Care for the other foot? .. mebbe a lil salt will make it go down better?

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline BBQ_Bob

• Silver Member
      • http://uknightedstates.net
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2006, 10:49:01 PM »
Originally posted by Grayeagle
BBQ-Bob .. just curious .. what have you flown?

Ima dweeb .. only spent time in:

Stearman PT-17
Aeronca Champ
C-172

Well let's see, I have flown a kite and I when I was a kid I had this really cool plane on a stick. :aok  But then again it's not about me is it. It's about Chuck Yeager the man the legend.
UKNIGHTED Propaganda Minister
"There are no Hells Angels in the MA, never"

"they are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded."

For a good time ~~ www.uknightedstates.net

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2006, 10:53:04 PM »
Champs are great, Chiefs are the shizz-nit.  The supercub kicked my butt.  I was Quickdraw McGraw's alter-ego when landing those the first few times.  "Kabong!"

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2006, 10:56:57 PM »
opinions vary..

..'Chuck' obviously is a legend to some.

I've met better.

-GE (checkout 'Lucky' Ekman(sp?) record sometime .. two *thousand* weasel missions in 105's .. in Vietnam, and the best fly-by I have seen in a 105G over GAFB flightline when the bird was retired from USAF Inventory)

Big Ones
to the Red River Rats

-GE (and to Old's Mig Killers, who I was part of for a short time)
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE