Author Topic: Banning cluster munitions.  (Read 4619 times)

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Banning cluster munitions.
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2006, 09:39:14 PM »
Gotta be some give and take. If you want civilized nations to give up cluster bombs how about getting the less civilized terrorists to give up suicide bombings? Deal?

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2006, 11:25:19 PM »
Maybe we should work on a "hug bomb" filled with puppies, love, Kush weed cookies, and free range spirit animals to fill the evil doers hearts with happiness and joy... or better yet, the "12 Virgin Improved Conventional Munitions" (12VICM),  package that upon exploding over the enemies head drops 12 virgins, a manly un-wed goat, and the deed to 40 acres of prime desert real estate.

Whats next? no rifles, just Nerf batons and silly string?... oh wait, a child might slip on the silly string, nevermind.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2006, 11:27:27 PM »
Originally posted by Mark Luper

What I would not like to see is tying the hands of our military and making them fight by rules that the enemy refuses to follow. I believe our military should take every advantage it can and get the job done as quickly as possible with a minimum of loss of life for our service men and women and secondly be concerned with collateral dammage.

And there ya go.
My sentiments exactly

Combine that withthe  R.E. Lee quote and you have my answer too
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2006, 11:30:12 PM »
Originally posted by x0847Marine
Maybe we should work on a "hug bomb" filled with puppies, love, Kush weed cookies, and free range spirit animals to fill the evil doers hearts with happiness and joy

No man. Yah fill em with Flowers.
Beautiful beautiful flowers man.

Can ya dig it?

OR Paint.

So "when they explode. they make pretty pictures"
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2006, 11:34:19 PM »
hug would have to be some sorta acronym
Highly
Unexpected
Gheyness?

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2006, 12:45:47 AM »
Ok.. i guess we can conclude that the majority here likes cluster munitions and thinks the huge civilian causalties are unfortionate but hey.. thats war.

Is it about time we bring back the anti-personel landmine? I like those that jump up and explode.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2006, 12:53:21 AM »
Only if they're the ones that make a springy sound when they jump and explode at eye level to a 4th grader. Those are great for New Year's, too.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2006, 12:59:02 AM »

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2006, 03:09:27 AM »
Try looking up the wepon family for the MLRS this is one of the US's and outher Euro, Country's leading Artillery pecies. I carrys 12 rockets or 2 misiles they bouth use the cluster munition's. It had the army of Iraq running scared in Desert Storm And in O.I.F This wepon can take out a square mile in 3 min's the Army of Iraq called it STEEL RAIN!!  for a reason.

I have had the hounor of working on the MLRS I was a crew chief loved it.

Oh and if you think we stoped using the boucing betty's you wroung the US still produces them and still uses them.

I know this because of the 4 yrs I served the first two I was a SAPPER with the 577th corps of  engineer's And the last two yrs, I was with the 1st ID 1/33rd FA  Out of Bamberg Germany.

info on SAPPER's

Info on the MLRS

The combat-proven Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) is a rocket artillery system manufactured by Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. The system is operational in the US Army, and fourteen countries have fielded or ordered MLRS: Bahrain, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, The Netherlands, Norway, Turkey and United Kingdom. The system has also been built in Europe by an international consortium of companies from France, Germany, Italy and the UK.
:t :aok

to many country's support this Artty pice.

more MLRS

A little fire POWER
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 03:29:46 AM by red26 »
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2006, 03:37:12 AM »
lol someone edited that wikipedia link

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2006, 04:25:44 AM »
Originally posted by red26
Try looking up the wepon family for the MLRS this is one of the US's and outher Euro, Country's leading Artillery pecies. I carrys 12 rockets or 2 misiles they bouth use the cluster munition's. It had the army of Iraq running scared in Desert Storm And in O.I.F This wepon can take out a square mile in 3 min's the Army of Iraq called it STEEL RAIN!!  for a reason.

I have had the hounor of working on the MLRS I was a crew chief loved it.

Oh and if you think we stoped using the boucing betty's you wroung the US still produces them and still uses them.

I know this because of the 4 yrs I served the first two I was a SAPPER with the 577th corps of  engineer's And the last two yrs, I was with the 1st ID 1/33rd FA  Out of Bamberg Germany.

info on SAPPER's

Info on the MLRS

The combat-proven Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) is a rocket artillery system manufactured by Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. The system is operational in the US Army, and fourteen countries have fielded or ordered MLRS: Bahrain, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, The Netherlands, Norway, Turkey and United Kingdom. The system has also been built in Europe by an international consortium of companies from France, Germany, Italy and the UK.
:t :aok

to many country's support this Artty pice.

more MLRS

A little fire POWER

Norway mothballed the MLRS system a year or two ago. It may become operational again when GPS guided rockets with single warheads becomes available (not the ATACMS type), or they may be traded with the Dutch For pzh2000 systems.

It is a great and extremly effective weapon system that all the users of it loves. I started to wonder wtf was wrong with the army for mothballing them. The reason for doing it here was two fold. Firstly the bomblets had a large failure rate (% wise) and got this ball started. Secondly it was supposed to be used up here as a delivery system for anti-tank mines to stop or slow a russian invasion, and to carpet bomb the incomming russian army. With the end of the cold war and international operation beeing the flavor of the year they decided to stick with and upgrade M109 "paladins".

And its true that the US never signed anything to ban anti-personel mines either, and they wont sign this either by the looks of it here anyway.

Oh and very funny that some of you have actually gone in and edited wikipedia. :D  And its abit sad too...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:29:18 AM by Nilsen »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2006, 04:32:56 AM »
Looks like it was edited abit again. :D

Here is a quote I found interesting on the same page:

"According to Nilsen of Handicap International, 98% of cluster bomb victims are civilians.[1] The use of cluster bombs is hotly opposed by many individuals and groups, such as the Red Cross, the Cluster Munition Coalition and the United Nations, because of the high proportion of civilians that have fallen victim to the weapon. Since February 2005, Handicap International called for cluster munitions to be prohibited and collected hundreds of thousands signatures to support its call.

Gunslinger a close friend of Badgdad Bob claims: "There never is no such things as duds ever, cluster eggs rule"

Cluster bombs pose a threat to civilians for two reasons: they have a very wide area of effect, and they almost always leave behind unexploded bomblets."

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2006, 07:27:01 AM »
we will stop using cluster bombs when the enemy stops using suicide bombers and roadside IED's.

a roadside IED is a anti-personel mine. The terrorists must not have heard that they were baned.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2006, 07:33:04 AM »
So its ok for you to kill and injure innocent children and others that plays with or steps on the duds just because the insurgants, terrorists and criminals targets your troops and eachother?

BRILLIANT! :lol

Punish the innocent for the deeds of the guilty. Good way to "win the hearts and minds" of your enemies and stay on the christian high-ground.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2006, 07:35:25 AM »
we need to improve cluster bombs to eliminate the duds. it's a QC issue, not a morality issue.