Author Topic: take the challenge and speak the blasphemy  (Read 4109 times)

storch

take the challenge and speak the blasphemy
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2006, 01:44:55 PM »
enlighten me on sam kinison

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2006, 01:48:54 PM »
threads as this bring Matthew 7:6 to mind ...

may the true Spirit of Christmas touch each and every one of us as we all are in dire need of a shot of it
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2006, 03:04:09 PM »
Question...  Is it possible to be a Christian but approach the Bible as if it were a "Mythbusters Special?"

Because, really, if you look at it...  At face value, without investigation, the Bible is certainly a book of myths...  Mythbusters breaks it down like:

BUSTED - This myth is not true whatsoever
PLAUSIBLE - This myth very well could be true
CONFIRMED - This myth is not a myth - it is fact.

Now, granted, I'm not exactly a student of the Bible, but a big interest in my life is the ancient world, and the Bible and the stories therein are a huge part of that.  I've done some personal studying (though surely not as much as others on here), but at least I'm semi-acquainted with the field.

I also like all those Discovery Times, National Geographic, Science Channel, etc., specials on religion (which seem to be on ALL the time now, btw).  Admittedly, if the History Channel is any guide - these will be flawed.  But they do often raise interesting questions and possibilities.

Now (back on topic), these shows, and my readings, have pretty much convinced me that all three Mythbuster categories can be found in the Bible...

BUSTED - Worldwide flood during man's time, the creation of the earth, beasts, and man all within seven days.  You can scream and believe it all you want to, if you figure it'll save you from hell or for whatever reason, the bottom line is, these things just did not happen.  If you think God appreciates your unwavering belief in such things, fine.  You call it faith, I call it sucking up.

PLAUSIBLE - Three wise men, ten plagues of Egypt...  The "scientific" explanation for the ten plagues obviously can be argued against, but the whole domino effect idea is certainly plausible.

CONFIRMED - Jesus Christ lived, Paul travelled around the world, etc.  Other sources mention them (and sources that aren't Christian-friendly, either).

Now, this is all assuming we're taking the Bible word for word here.  But if you're willing to see it as a "rough guide" to what "basically" happened, even more stuff becomes plausible.

Noah's Flood?  Well, take your pick: Gilgamesh or the Black Sea forming.  Either would leave an impression.  Globalwide?  No.  A regional devastation?  Yep.  During man's time?  Sure is.  Seems pretty obvious to someone not blinded by faith that something like this is probably what the Bible is referencing.

I dunno.  There are plenty of scientific explanations for things in the Bible.  The problem is, every time you try to apply one, you don't get the same precise results the Bible speaks of.  So is it blasphemy to say "I basically believe in the Bible, but much that is referenced in it is obviously an embellishment of events that probably did happen, just not exactly as stated therein?"

Basically, I'm willing to believe in the plausible.  But not in the busted.  Shall I buy some asbestos underwear?  Or is "ok" to not blindly follow the crowd?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »
Originally posted by sluggish
And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do.  

i never coveted my neighbors wife, well ok, there was Sally, but i'm over her now.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2006, 05:30:39 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
Silat, ihope you own a flame retard-ant suit because God is going to do a cooking show with your soul - probably featuring some sort of flambe' dish.

Merry Christmas Pooh :) Happy Holidays Silat! :)

Im not worried as Im one of the chosen people. And if there is a COD then I believe her to be fair and compassionate. Not the COD of the old testament.

:)
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2006, 05:36:34 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
Im not worried as Im one of the chosen people. And if there is a COD then I believe her to be fair and compassionate. Not the COD of the old testament.

:)

MMMmm... Cod....   Baked and served with butter and lemon... Yum...

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
Re: ~it's a disco inferno~
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2006, 05:43:45 PM »
Originally posted by storch
. . .no one can be sure of what existists on the other side.  . . .

Unless, of course, you're one of those who have been there and come back. . . .

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2006, 10:39:29 AM »
enlighten me on sam kinison [/QUOTE

Comic in the 90's really good, ex preacher, made lots of god jokes. died because of a drunk driver, after making one last god and heaven joke. His close friends god finally got revenge on him for stopping religion and taking up comedy

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2006, 10:51:08 AM »
ya know...  I think that there are two kinds of people that are constantly attacking religion...

Those who are unsure of themselves and those who are jealous.

Jealous of what?  they seem to be jealous that the christians have found something to believe in.. some sort of inner peace and it... somehow... seems to make em very angry.

I don't really care that much.  I am not a christian.    I do believe in god tho.

I think anyone who doesn't is probly pretty lucky in some ways... it probly means that nothing too bad has ever happened to them... that they have never had to dredge up strength that they could not possibly have had.

Like I said..  I am not a christian but...

I have nothing but contempt for those who take every opportunity to bash them... it is like a scared little kid whistling in the dark.

These same people have no problem believing in ghosts or goblins or aliens or bigfoot.    

When I see a christian bashing thread that is what I see... and imature scared little boy or.... some guy with a grudge against god... either way... silly  stuff.  

I suppose there are those who hate christians because they make em feel guilty...  christians, nor anyone else, don't make me feel guilty.   I only feel guilty when I am doing wrong and that is between me and my god.  

I can see nothing good about christian bashers.  They seem a very insecure and immature group.

lazs

storch

« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2006, 10:57:58 AM »
Originally posted by dmf
enlighten me on sam kinison [/QUOTE

Comic in the 90's really good, ex preacher, made lots of god jokes. died because of a drunk driver, after making one last god and heaven joke. His close friends god finally got revenge on him for stopping religion and taking up comedy [/B]
almost everyone dies preacher or otherwise.  there are two men who didn't die an earthly death yet but they will, and then they get to die twice.  sam kinison is no different than you or I.  God isn't some cosmic kill joy dispensing lightning bolts at those he's pissed with, well except maybe at silat.

Merry Christamas all.

:D

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2006, 11:15:15 AM »
almost everyone dies preacher or otherwise.  there are two men who didn't die an earthly death yet but they will, and then they get to die twice.  sam kinison is no different than you or I.  God isn't some cosmic kill joy dispensing lightning bolts at those he's pissed with, well except maybe at silat.

Merry Christamas all.

:D

Well if you actually sit down, read and comprehend the bible, then you'll find out that your god isn't exactly all that kindness and love thy neighbor stuff either

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
ya know...  I think that there are two kinds of people that are constantly attacking religion...

Those who are unsure of themselves and those who are jealous.

Jealous of what?  they seem to be jealous that the christians have found something to believe in.. some sort of inner peace and it... somehow... seems to make em very angry.

I don't really care that much.  I am not a christian.    I do believe in god tho.

I think anyone who doesn't is probly pretty lucky in some ways... it probly means that nothing too bad has ever happened to them... that they have never had to dredge up strength that they could not possibly have had.

Like I said..  I am not a christian but...

I have nothing but contempt for those who take every opportunity to bash them... it is like a scared little kid whistling in the dark.

These same people have no problem believing in ghosts or goblins or aliens or bigfoot.    

When I see a christian bashing thread that is what I see... and imature scared little boy or.... some guy with a grudge against god... either way... silly  stuff.  

I suppose there are those who hate christians because they make em feel guilty...  christians, nor anyone else, don't make me feel guilty.   I only feel guilty when I am doing wrong and that is between me and my god.  

I can see nothing good about christian bashers.  They seem a very insecure and immature group.

lazs

I think it's a good thing to have a good balance of Christians and bashers.  Lest either group becomes to full of themselves.

Pick a religion, it's a huge part of the reason this world is such a mess.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2006, 01:46:20 PM »
Originally posted by dmf
Well if you actually sit down, read and comprehend the bible, then you'll find out that your god isn't exactly all that kindness and love thy neighbor stuff either

So you fully comprehend the bible?

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »
Mannnnnnnnn Abestos drawers won't even help these poor morons!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2006, 08:13:18 PM »
Originally posted by mosgood
So you fully comprehend the bible?

I comprehend enough to know that your god leveled a couple of cities, Turned a woman into a stack of salt for looking back. flooded the entire planet, sent his only son to his death.
  And dams you to hell for violating any of his 10 commandments, in fact in the first commandment he even starts that he's a jealous god, and doesn't want you to have any gods before, him which would make any civilized person wonder just how many gods thee really are out there to worship.

Not to mention the fact that he gave Adam and Eve the choice to gain wisdom or not then kicked them out of paradise for having a desire to know something.

You explain to me how a kind loving god can do that.
And don't say "cause thats how it was written" I want proof, not blind faith.