Author Topic: another campus shooting this week?  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
another campus shooting this week?
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:53 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
from firearms related crime.

and i dont have $100 to pay if im wrong :p

so if someone died at a gun range due to an accident, then that doesnt count...

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
It's either Coincidence, Causation, or Correlation that NO massacres happen in areas with high concentration of weapons, but all the massacres that do happen occur in places with minimal concentration of weapons.

:huh

And just what to people use when they create massacres? marshmallows?

I suppose 300 panicked students, each armed to the teeth, would create a safer learning environment. I'm sure it would make campus and local police feel oh, so much better, as well.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444

I suppose 300 panicked students, each armed to the teeth,  

your statement defies all logic.

and what does "armed to the teeth" mean?

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
A student carrying a loaded firearm, to me, is armed to the teeth. You imply that had the college allowed firearms, than in all likelihood students would have armed themselves, therefore this event would not have happened.

Yes, my (sarcastic) statement did defy all logic, which only goes to illustrate how foolish your argument is for eliminating gun free zones on college campuses.

Thank you for proving my point.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
a high concentration of guns in schools then I'd have to say thats just insane.
====
Imagine, if you will, a law that required every able bodied adult man or woman to carry a concealed weapon at all times in public places.  What sort of crime do think we as a society would endure as a result compared to our current model?  Less, the same, more crime?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2008, 01:37:43 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager

Imagine, if you will, a law that required every able bodied adult man or woman to carry a concealed weapon at all times in public places.  What sort of crime do think we as a society would endure as a result compared to our current model?  Less, the same, more crime?

probably less crime, definitely not 0% crime. more devastating crime and very rapid escalatory crimes in most situations.

now then...

What sort of crime do think we as a society would endure if guns had never been invented compared to our current model?  Less, the same, more crime?

or even....

What sort of crime do think we as a society would endure if no weapons at all had ever been invented compared to our current model?  Less, the same, more crime?

at the very worst we would be living by wits and strength again, like all the real life forms on our planet that havnt yet devolved to parasites or bacteria
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2008, 01:39:12 PM »
probably less crime, definitely not 0% crime. more devastating crime and very rapid escalatory crimes in most situations.

now then...

What sort of crime do think we as a society would endure if guns had never been invented compared to our current model?  Less, the same, more crime?

or even....

What sort of crime do think we as a society would endure if no weapons at all had ever been invented compared to our current model?  Less, the same, more crime?

at the very worst we would be living by wits and strength again, like all the real life forms on our planet that havnt yet devolved to parasites or bacteria

To say that we would have no weapons is to say that we have no tools.  If we have no tools, that means we are still swinging from branches and flinging poo at each other.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
well then, at least we made a good start on one of those two problems, we have stopped swinging from the branches.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
There was a shooting at a city hall in Missouri last week. The shooter killed 2 police officers who were on guard duty, 1 inside, 1 outside. He also killed 3 other people before more police turned up and killed him.

He wasn't deterred by the knowledge armed police would be there, and he wasn't prevented from killing by the presence of armed police.

The idea that having someone armed will prevent these shootings is a fallacy.

The possibility of an armed citizen does deter crime. One only has to look at crime statistics in states that have CCW laws to see this. Obviously not all criminals are detered by the prescence or possibility of the prescence of a firearm.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
To say that we would have no weapons is to say that we have no tools.  If we have no tools, that means we are still swinging from branches and flinging poo at each other.

Flung poo could be a weapon :noid

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »
from firearms related crime.

and i dont have $100 to pay if im wrong :p

Then why make the bet in the first place, poser?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2008, 01:58:03 PM »

Yeah, e basta with Mozart and Von Braun and Shakespeare and Michaelangelo, goodbye Henry Ford and brother Wright, Edison and Tesla, so long Heston and Kittinger and good riddance to any and all future parasites and bacterias of their kind...

We can all disarm ourselves and let the smarts of the teeming masses of average people that brought us GWB and Clinton, Clinton and Giuliani and countless others, make our choices for us the same way being unarmed allows anyone below the average thug's physical prowess and criminal street smarts to be thoroughly abused by said thugs...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Then why make the bet in the first place, poser?

because if you found out i was right you would have been more likely to orbit the earth in a pot of pidgeon stew than pay me the $100, materialistic oppertunist.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
because if you found out i was right you would have been more likely to orbit the earth in a pot of pidgeon stew than pay me the $100, materialistic oppertunist.

Interesting.

You throw out a bet (thinking no one will question your "fact")

Someone shows interest in researching your "fact".

You state that you will not pay up if your "fact" is found to be wrong.

You defend this by assuming that if you had been right the person challenging you would not pay up.

Class. :aok

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »
Why is it that these mass shootings always (or nearly always) happen in places that do not allow guns? Places such as schools, the mall in Omaha etc.

Could it be that these shooters know there will be no opposition for at least a few minutes until the police can arrive?

Why don't we see mass shootings at places where people are likely to have guns? The gun range is actually a good example of this. Could it be that the shooter realizes he might not be able to complete his goals (whatever they might be) before his death?

I agree that it would be best to have classrooms where students don't have to fear anything. Classrooms where students don't have to fear a crazed gunman.

Far to often these days some lunatic comes to the conclusion that it is time to end his own life and to take as many folks with him as possible. The best place to do this is in a gun free zone simply because no one will be in a position to stop the lunatic.

My proposal to protect our students is to remove the gun free zones from our schools. Allow CCW holders to carry their weapons on campus. Based on crime statistics from states that allow CCW I think it's a pretty safe bet that these types of shootings will become far less common and may stop completely.

For those that disagree with allowing CCW or guns of any kind on a campus, what is YOUR proposal to protect our students?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.