Author Topic: Individual Sounds in Update  (Read 11569 times)

Offline greens

• Silver Member
Re: Individual Sounds in Update
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
Dear HTC,
            I am happy for you guys moving forward with this update, I am scared i will lose some squaddies to this. In my own opinion it sucks bigtime, graphics r sweet, sounds can kiss my brown arse. My squaddies do not like it, they hate it. BUT just like switching from one gf to another gf it takes time to get used to. It will take 90% of us aces highers to get used to in awhile but bear w the complaints. <S> HTC we need our old towns n strats back, this has become a non porker game, what will the cowgirls from hell do now?. once again <S> HTC sweet graphics work, bad sounds
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2010, 06:23:30 PM »
Best thing about it.
No more turning your sounds down and everyone elses up. Very gamey particularly in GVs

you still can, they're just grouped together now..  effects = your sounds, environment = enemy sounds
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
ACK<ACK I didn't see any increase in performance to the contrary mine has went down, my frame rate went from 70 to 38 in the tower down to 20's when there is lots of smoke and explosions going on.   I can not find a folder that has the individual sounds listed anywhere on my computer.  Anyone know where it is on a computer using vista?

ab8aac out
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »
stupid question for somebody.  I'm about to install this but I want to keep my CH settings which files should I copy and paste in case it writes over them?

Your CH settings shouldnt change at all
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
By making custom sounds (or installing blank sounds for your GV), the huge problem of gaming the game with sounds will not be eliminated.
Some people don't like their ears getting blasted in the name of realism.  Just because I knew it was coming doesn't mean I now have to like it.  :rolleyes:

i've been running the "test" versions that have been up.
No need to blow your ears out
Yes its LOUD when you first run it. But you can adjust it enough to be more then tolerable
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2010, 06:39:50 PM »
OK how do I muzzle the air raid siren?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
Some of us didn't like the additional sounds like wind, base sirens or the base warning messages and frankly the other sounds I turned down were do to them being too loud that I wasn't able to hear the important sounds like my flaps and stall buzzer.

ack-ack

Exactly.

I am going to go in and try again but I rather doubt that I will be getting used to this the way it is.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
Worst suggestion ever!

Why?  If the Miles system repeatedly prooves it's inability to provide quality VoX audio, why even have it in the game over the old system?  Gut it and it will save the resources the game was using for it as well as... well "force us to adapt" into setting up third party programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak, which offers us legible audio quality without any tax to the game client or servers, both "features" that the Miles system hasn't been able to demonstrate the ability to provide to the community even once!
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
OK I downloaded audacity and cant even find the sound files? sounds shows a text file saying "cleaned"....

I'm sorry but i'm not gonna be here long if this is simply "the way it is"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
Why?  If the Miles system repeatedly prooves it's inability to provide quality VoX audio, why even have it in the game over the old system?  Gut it and it will save the resources the game was using for it as well as... well "force us to adapt" into setting up third party programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak, which offers us legible audio quality without any tax to the game client or servers, both "features" that the Miles system hasn't been able to demonstrate the ability to provide to the community even once!

If the vox in this version sounds the same as it did in the test versions. You should notice very little difference to how vox has sounded for the last several years.
I didnt
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:47 PM »
OK I downloaded audacity and cant even find the sound files? sounds shows a text file saying "cleaned"....

I'm sorry but i'm not gonna be here long if this is simply "the way it is"

Part of what's going on with the sound change is to greatly expand the number of sounds in the game.  Doing that and retaining individual sound controls is just not feasible.  I don't know of any other games that are setup that way. 

We are going to have to make some adjustments to individual sounds and try to find a happy medium on different sound volume levels on different setups.  Aside from that, custom sounds still work so you can always put in a different sound.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »
So in essence you'd rather have them keep it as it was, and limit any new sound effects being developed?

"Limiting the continued development of the game, now that truly would be the worst change ever."

This too shall pass,

Would rather have miles + seperate volume controls for different sounds.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
Would rather have miles + seperate volume controls for different sounds.

I would like to have my cake and eat it too.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »
In a perfect world I'm sure HTC would have like to have done that as well, but there were issues trying to do that.

I understand it's a PITA but this will get better, btw we can now use 16bit 44k sound files so I suspect we'll start hearing some really good engine/cannon/explosions in the near future.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »
If the vox in this version sounds the same as it did in the test versions. You should notice very little difference to how vox has sounded for the last several years.
I didnt

I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight, I think you took my post out of context, checkout the original post I made that Tinman posed the question I answered to.  In a nutshell: The previous releases with the Miles system were all bad VoX audio quality wise, it didn't make sence to me why it was so (audio VoX hasn't been that bad in quality for over a decade in teh industry, yet the Miles system is supposedly very new and well developed). I'm hoping it was fixable, otherwise why waste the resources?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.