Author Topic: My mom called me  (Read 6358 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: My mom called me
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »
As long as snakes leave me alone I leave them alone. Now eating your chickens? Thats different. In fact being anywheres around the barn is a death sentence. Thats a snake taking money out of your pocket which means it going to get the ole shovel in the head. Same goes for other critters as well.

I tend to agree to a point with this but 3 chicks.... :rolleyes: how do you know it's not 3 mice? I mean do you think the snake went into the barn to get the chickens???  More likely followed a rodent trail and was hunting mice and or rats and happened upon the chicks.

I'm not saying snakes wont eat or target birds and that snake was large enough to eat some big birds but it's more likely that it was after mice.

A good rat terrier would solve all these issues but thats not the point,how much damage do rodents cause and whats the cost involved with that?  Maybe having a nonpoisonous snake around isnt a bad idea if you keep your chickens safe.

I think it was totally unnecessary to kill the snake but thats just me,I have no say in how you "protect" your property.

:salute

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
I know it was 3 chicks because 3 were missing. We had 11. Now we have 8
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »

Fair enough!

My Mom inlaw had a horse farm for years,I understand why you did what you did! My Mom inlaw once killed a groundhog,it was rabid and she feared her horse were in danger so she cracked it with a shovel. Now I asked her why she didnt shoot it with the gun she had handy and she answered"oh I couldnt do that" yet because she was in fear for her horses she got close enough to whack it!!!  I pointed that out to her and she said she just didnt realize what was going on and had to save her precious arabs from this menace. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I convinced her she needed a good dog around so she wouldnt get hurt,she got a rottie shepard mix that was just the ticket for a great farm dog!

:salute

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »

actually a snake that size probably would have eaten only 1 within a weeks time and if it eat 3 in 3 weeks you would only see 1 bump.  snakes digest quite quickly, mine eats rats once a week and after about 4 hours you cant see the rat anymore.
I have had this one for almost 15 years my other died was the same species
from what I see in the pics the chicks would be a bigger bump than that for the size of the snake, should have cut it open lol
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:12:04 PM by homersipes »

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19:02 PM »
Definitely Bull snake. Rather harmless but will draw blood if it gets ahold of you. Easy to keep and feed if you find one that likes to be held.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
I didn't think it was a rattler, but it was acting like one. You can hear that rattle a solid 30' away.

Y'all sure are defensive of a dumb snake, sounds like PETA members.
what was he harming? i hunt sure, but i eat what i kill
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
Haven't quite understood why everyone care so much over a snake. I would've done the same thing. WTG!  :aok

As for all the PETA members on this thread, don't post if you're going to leave something negative. Don't like it? Well that's alright, just click the back button and get to another thread.  ;)
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2012, 08:00:16 PM »
i eat what i kill

How did that video card taste?
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »
Haven't quite understood why everyone care so much over a snake. I would've done the same thing. WTG! 

As for all the PETA members on this thread, don't post if you're going to leave something negative. Don't like it? Well that's alright, just click the back button and get to another thread. 
I used to hunt lost interest as there aint much to hunt here in vermont, but I dont like rats and mice so I dont kill snakes, I dont like mosqitos so I dont kill bats or spiders.  I understand the fact that 3 chicks disappeared and that snake got the blame.  Hell I used to work on a chicken farm where an egg was worth a couple hundred bucks.  not sure if you were including my post in the negative, but just my $.02

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »

Tupac landed 1 victory with a shovel.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
How did that video card taste?

:rofl
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 08:49:25 PM »
When a snake is a pest remove it however you want to. When someone elsse has a snake problem they can remove it how they want.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
Not hard to tell who lives in the city in this thread
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »
Not hard to tell who lives in the city in this thread

Nope.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
I don't like to kill snakes because they eat mice and rats, but if it's a rattler or if they are killing animals of mine I suppose they gotta go because they are territorial, but I won't kill one just because it's a snake.

I even leave rattlers alone if they are not hanging out in an area I have to traverse regularly, but if it's coiled up on my porch, sorry dude, but I don't want you that close to my house and I have no assurances you won't keep coming back even if I am stupid enough to try to risk contact to relocate you.