Author Topic: GV's overload  (Read 6967 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: GV's overload
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
I guess you never main gunned a plane form a tank yet or go gunned down by a tank, I'm not talking about camping the runway either  :angel:

Both, actually, but it is very easy to avoid, so I think getting upset about it is silly.  It's like complaining about HOs, which are 100% avoidable (when the icon gets within 1000 yards, pull hard right or left; he can't compensate and blows by). 

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »
^^^ This =1

And Tdeacon, don't take this personal, but this is a great game for fighting in planes, if you would spend more time doing that you would enjoy it more and you would improve which would probably help you to enjoy it more, adinfinitum.

I have a 11-year-old PC, which recently ceased to meet even the minimum hardware requirements for the game (still works sort of though).  With everything turned off, I can dogfight with small numbers of opponents, but it can be jerky.  I can't spare the MIPs for VOX any more.  I am more competitive in GVs due to the lower speeds.  I am very out of practice in planes, both in knowing the latest flight model idiosyncrancies and in shooting.  Even so, if you are ever so inclined, I would enjoy dueling you 1-1 in planes.  Hopefully you are not a Rook.  When do you usually fly?

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
Just because it happens to be one of my minor pet peeves, I'll answer that question.  On many occasions, what I've observed somewhat often while defending a base is the attackers come in, a decent defense is mounted, the attack gets repelled.  What had been a pretty decent fight in the air between the two bases peters out.  No planes come back, but suddenly there's a wave of GV's trying to take the base.

Now instead of repelling an air attack (fun for me) I am left with a ground attack to attempt to repel (not fun for me).  At this point I generally go looking for another fight.

Just irks me a bit.  Not enough to make me quit the game or grumble too loudly about it, but it does detract from my enjoyment.

Wiley.

Thanks Wiley; that makes sense.  I wonder if SirNuke's is similar. 

MH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 11:35:58 PM »
^^^ This =1

And Tdeacon, don't take this personal, but this is a great game for fighting in planes, if you would spend more time doing that you would enjoy it more and you would improve which would probably help you to enjoy it more, adinfinitum.

Really?  I started flying in 1996.  I was never great but good enough.  Despite that I enjoy GVing.

This is also a great game for GVing and if YOU would spend more time doing that you would enjoy it more and you would improve which would probably help you to enjoy it more, adinfinitum.

See what I did there?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:42 PM »
Bad Boy, Bad Boy, whatcha gonna do? *ShruG*

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2013, 03:18:22 AM »
If we have too much of anything, it's horders, and bishops.

:rofl 

I would have agreed with you months ago. I had ppl run away from me the DA yesterday. I embrace the horde these days, at least they are heading at us and have no intention of running away.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:52 AM »

MH

Wiley exemple is spot on, especially when the numbers are low in the arena. Let me detail:

Player A wants to do a worthwile sortie, but there is not much going on the arena

He can grab a fighter and go the nearest field wich seems very calm, traveling 10-15 mins to either circle another 10mins waiting for someone to up, or discover there is a defending fighter up there waiting for him. The sortie can be over very quick and he'd'have spent 15mins waiting, for a very short action time. Even if he wins a fight there is no garantee the defender will come back, after all, what can a single fighter do to a field?

He can grab a jabo or bombers with again long climbout time, hit the field/town and hope a friendly comes along to help him. Again he can be sent to the tower by a fighter quick, or just have wasted his time.

He can grab a gv with AP and HE. If nobody shows up for defence he can head to town and hit it until it's'white flag and maybe capture in 3 gv sorties, after all the only thing telling the nmy he's'here is a flashing town and until he's'spoted hes safe, nobody knows his location.
If a defender tank shows up he can fight and if killed he can come again in a matter of minutes, with another gv suited for the situation, maybe an uber flak?

Its a no brainer, a gv will garantee action or usefullness, with minimum waiting or risks taken.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2013, 04:00:28 AM »

MH

Wiley exemple is spot on, especially when the numbers are low in the arena. Let me detail:

Player A wants to do a worthwile sortie, but there is not much going on the arena

He can grab a fighter and go the nearest field wich seems very calm, traveling 10-15 mins to either circle another 10mins waiting for someone to up, or discover there is a defending fighter up there waiting for him. The sortie can be over very quick and he'd'have spent 15mins waiting, for a very short action time. Even if he wins a fight there is no garantee the defender will come back, after all, what can a single fighter do to a field?

He can grab a jabo or bombers with again long climbout time, hit the field/town and hope a friendly comes along to help him. Again he can be sent to the tower by a fighter quick, or just have wasted his time.

He can grab a gv with AP and HE. If nobody shows up for defence he can head to town and hit it until it's'white flag and maybe capture in 3 gv sorties, after all the only thing telling the nmy he's'here is a flashing town and until he's'spoted hes safe, nobody knows his location.
If a defender tank shows up he can fight and if killed he can come again in a matter of minutes, with another gv suited for the situation, maybe an uber flak?

Its a no brainer, a gv will garantee action or usefullness, with minimum waiting or risks taken.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »

Uhh.... GV's on the offensive likely have the worst loss rates of anything in the game. I wouldn't be overly surprised if defending Ju-87G-2s have a lower loss rate than attacking tanks.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »
Uhh.... GV's on the offensive likely have the worst loss rates of anything in the game. I wouldn't be overly surprised if defending Ju-87G-2s have a lower loss rate than attacking tanks.

I agree with you that tanks die a lot.  I think (perhaps) what SirNuke is saying and if not, I'll say it, is the tank respawns pretty close to the action and is right back into usefulness and fun pretty quickly versus having to climb out and head over from the next field over.  I find it funny about myself that I have no trouble climbing to 15-20k from a field or 2 over without getting bored, but if I am sitting waiting in a tank, after about 45 seconds I start to twitch.

I dunno.  If there were enough enemy aircraft around at all times when I log in, I literally couldn't care less what GV's do.  Unfortunately at low population times they feel to me like a drain on my opponent pool and a combat avoidance tool, which makes me sad.

They seem popular though, and I guess that's good on some level for the game.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
Unfortunately at low population times they feel to me like a drain on my air opponent pool and a air combat avoidance tool, which makes me sad.
Fixored....

I GV, bomb, run attack missions, and even furlball occasionally.  It's fun to do it all...  I would bet there are a few out there who GV all the time, with as few air sorties as you might have GV sorties.  Some say their $15, isn't worth having, I disagree... 

End GV hatred. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »

And there's also twits like SHawk who bomb GV's for the hell of it. 

You mean there needs to be a reason to bomb GVs other than it's fun to do and pisses off people like you?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
It looks like I need to apologize judging from the responses on my posts.

I have no hate toward any GV players, maybe some frustration because I would prefer to have you in the air as allies or opponents, nothing else.  I had no intention to call into question any one's flying skills, the more we fly the more all of us improve, nothing else.  This is a fantastic game and if you have any reasons not to fly and would rather GV then by all means, go for it.

Personally I have very little interaction with GV players.  I never vulch and never chase an opponent all the way into the range of base ack.  I figure if he's gotten that far and survived then he deserves to land it.  I will fight over an enemy base, outside of ack range and do see a lot of 88's shooting at me.  That is as much interaction I have with anything sitting on the ground.

In JG11, the squad I am proud to fly with we have a player that also GV's, guns from ships and I would assume guns from 88's.  This man is one of my favorite people who I have ever been associated with while playing here.  I would certainly not want to either insult him, or to let him think I am anything but proud to be in the squad with him.

I love flying here.  I just have no interest in anything but that.  If I wanted to play a tank game then I would, probably here, but then again I don't know enough about this aspect of the game to even make an informed choice of whether this is a good game for GV's or not.

Since I am not a GV player, in the future I will refrain from any comments on threads involving GV's.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:38:26 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
I dunno.  If there were enough enemy aircraft around at all times when I log in, I literally couldn't care less what GV's do.  Unfortunately at low population times they feel to me like a drain on my opponent pool and a combat avoidance tool, which makes me sad.

Rather than wish for there not to be GV's so that they are forced into aircraft, boosting aircraft numbers, why not just wish for more players?  ;)

Assuming that the probability of GV's being removed from the game is approximately zero, it's more practical and productive to devote one's thoughts and energies into discussions of how to get more players into the game.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »
Rather than wish for there not to be GV's so that they are forced into aircraft, boosting aircraft numbers, why not just wish for more players?  ;)

Assuming that the probability of GV's being removed from the game is approximately zero, it's more practical and productive to devote one's thoughts and energies into discussions of how to get more players into the game.

:aok   great point.
They're casting their bait over there, see?